Heavy Metal Huntingrounds?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

On Thursday Im flying to UK to meet my brother for two weeks so I think I will have a lot of time for record stories :) Hope to find something.I'm lucky bastard so have quite big expectations from this trip...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sacrilegio wrote:I also forgot to ask about Heavy Sound. How is it?
To be honest I haven't visited their store for years. They sold all their remaining vinyl stock long ago (you won't belive the kind of insane nwobhm-stuff I missed out on..) but they still have a small hole-in-the-wall shop at Regeringsgatan I think. They might have some rare old CDs left I guess. Hm, I should check up on this next time I'm Sthlm..
GJ

Post by GJ »

DaN wrote:
Sacrilegio wrote:I also forgot to ask about Heavy Sound. How is it?
To be honest I haven't visited their store for years. They sold all their remaining vinyl stock long ago (you won't belive the kind of insane nwobhm-stuff I missed out on..) but they still have a small hole-in-the-wall shop at Regeringsgatan I think. They might have some rare old CDs left I guess. Hm, I should check up on this next time I'm Sthlm..
They've always seemed a bit suspicious to me - as in being unhealthily scared of selling their stuff too cheap. Then again I still live in the past - they must have been before their time. :D I got the Breaker (US) 7" (300? skr) and The Rods - Rock Hard LP (800 skr) from them before them closing on the web, so who am I to complain? There's probably more than five years since I last visited the shop in Stockholm so I can't help you about their doing these days I'm afraid...
Le fjump

Record hunting in London

Post by Le fjump »

Just got home from KIT, now I am going to London.

Are there any good flea markets, second hand stores and where do I find them?
My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I know a place called Record Exchange on Notting Gate Hill. I found some ok stuff there for very cheap. I think the consensus is that London is not that great for Heavy Metal hunting? But I'm sure there must be some place?
msp

Post by msp »

Trust me it still sucks. I was on the hunt the other week and came back with only three LP's.

The glory days (if there ever were any) have long gone... :(
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

So I should go see Big Ben and that wax cabinet instead?
msp

Post by msp »

Le fjump wrote:So I should go see Big Ben and that wax cabinet instead?
I mean there are some second hand shops and they do have metal sections but do not go expecting to find 'rarities' so to speak. Generally seems to be more 'well known' bands.

Off of Oxford Street (oxford Street Tube or Tottenham Court Road Tube) there is a road called Berwick Street. Down there you have Sister Ray Records (indie store), Revival Records (2nd hand) and further down a Music & Video Exchange (2nd hand).

There is another Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill (tube: Notting Hill Gate).

In the Camden area (tube Camden Town) there is yet another Music & Video Exchange. There is also 'All Ages Records' which is a punk/hardcore store.

Maybe this helps a little but have a good trip and good hunting!
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
XCEL

Post by XCEL »

Mmmmmm, i suspect some folks have yet to get a real taste of london digging, if i start telling bargains bought off london stores bins i would be really late to stop, anyway here's my tip my friend, try to visit a fair- even if this is a 2 or 3 hours drive away- combined with visiting as many stores as you can, 2 venues especially offer endless digging possibilities, you can end up with pretty decent finds as long as you dont expect to get back home with 100 lps or something like that
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

Thanks for all the tips. I didn´t have access to internet during my trip so I missed the last 2.

Anyway, I found some second hand stores with nothing of interest.

Otherwise the trip was great. Huge town.