How Do You Collect?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

For albums I like I will sometimes get different colors of vinyl. I rarely get more than one format/one pressing of an item; if I have it on vinyl, I rarely get the cd and vice verse.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

I like getting vynil format from albums that,at least for me, are masterpieces, otherwise its ok if i get the official CD or Vynil,second press,first press,dont care, but it has to be the original one

Of corpse i have to like the music, i dont care if its super underground 80s metal,if the music doesnt catch my attention,im not buying it...but if so, i dont spend more than 800 mexican pesos(65dls-45euros more or less) in it.

theres some special rite i have with my Cds, after i get them,i start listening to them for 3 weeks straight (less time if i already know the album) and i start marking the good songs on its case with small correction pen dots, if less than half of the songs doesnt receive the mark,then off to sell or trade them....

on Vynil stuff that is damage,i still get them, and then I wait for another copy in better conditions to pop out :)
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I buy when I can, which is rarely enough but I reckon there is so much to discover musically that I don't have a want-list as such. If I had one, it would just grow and never shrink. So I am an opportunist and I go on recommendations from other people. Cds are fine with me but i have to say that once in a while I will clear out a lot of stuff that I haven't listened to for a year or more or that i don't envisage ever listening to again. I don't need my house to be full of records to be happy.
Shiremen

Post by Shiremen »

I am actually at a turning point in my collecting habits right now.

I had been collecting vinyl singles with Black Sabbath for 5-6 years. The early 1970 stuff is REALLY hard to find in at least excellent condition. I came to a point where each single I was looking for would cost me AT LEAST 100 dollars. And I was missing around 100 singles... So I stopped. Sold them all. Even sold 200 other metal singles.

Now I have awoken, smelling the coffe, and realising that there are so many records (albums) I want to hear and own. But I can't really decide if I shall collect CDs or LPs! For some reason I want to focus on one format only.

Advantages of CDs:
Easy to find. Many cheap editions. Don't have to be worried about the condition. Convienent. Sounds better than my vinyls as my stereo isn't that good. Cheap shipping from eBay.

Disadvantages of CDs:
Has absolutely no value to me. Crappy packaging. Small

Advantages of LPs:
Great personal value to me. Very good looking format. Big and juicy. Sounds really good if you have a good stereo. Obis are wonderful. Can buy many LPs very cheaply. The hunt = the chance of finding very very rare LPs for $1 at a flea market

Disadvantages of LPs:
Expensive ($15+) shipping from eBay. Expensive to find some records. Sounds crap if you are unlucky with scratches. Some original pressing are impossible to find. Unconvinient if I want to transfer them to my iPod. Some newer artists does not release LPs

Help! What shall I choose? :P
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Shiremen wrote:I am actually at a turning point in my collecting habits right now.

I had been collecting vinyl singles with Black Sabbath for 5-6 years. The early 1970 stuff is REALLY hard to find in at least excellent condition. I came to a point where each single I was looking for would cost me AT LEAST 100 dollars. And I was missing around 100 singles... So I stopped. Sold them all. Even sold 200 other metal singles.

Now I have awoken, smelling the coffe, and realising that there are so many records (albums) I want to hear and own. But I can't really decide if I shall collect CDs or LPs! For some reason I want to focus on one format only.

Advantages of CDs:
Easy to find. Many cheap editions. Don't have to be worried about the condition. Convienent. Sounds better than my vinyls as my stereo isn't that good. Cheap shipping from eBay.

Disadvantages of CDs:
Has absolutely no value to me. Crappy packaging. Small

Advantages of LPs:
Great personal value to me. Very good looking format. Big and juicy. Sounds really good if you have a good stereo. Obis are wonderful. Can buy many LPs very cheaply. The hunt = the chance of finding very very rare LPs for $1 at a flea market

Disadvantages of LPs:
Expensive ($15+) shipping from eBay. Expensive to find some records. Sounds crap if you are unlucky with scratches. Some original pressing are impossible to find. Unconvinient if I want to transfer them to my iPod. Some newer artists does not release LPs

Help! What shall I choose? :P
Vinyl of course, and invest in a good stereo. Vinyl conserves much longer than cd too.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i like getting both...but if big fan of certain record, i would prefer havin it on vynil...
humus

Post by humus »

There's one band I want to have everything of, and that's Sabbat. My main interest is to get every release that is out there on vinyl. Second is all other releases (CD's, tapes,...). And third is different versions of releases I already have. I am quite a completist, I think I own over 80% of what is out there. But unfortunately most of the releases I still need are rare and expensive, and I don't want to complete my collection 'at all cost'. I've basically had a chance to buy everything I still miss but for some I found the price too high to justify.

Other than that my main interest is vinyl. Although currently (last year or so) vinyl has lost a bit of importance to metal shirts. Some shirt designs are just brilliant. Besides vinyl and shirts I will buy any other format aswell. If I encounter them, I'll buy CD's, tapes and zines.
Genre-wise most is death and thrash metal, but also some old black metal, heavy metal, and even some hardcore/crust/punk.
Money-wise my limit normally is €50 for one release. I will pay more, but only if it's something I really want. Bargain hunting is, whatever I'm buying, the law.
EzraCobb

How do I get my metal..

Post by EzraCobb »

First Off - I NEVER (ever) purchase music via MP3 - also I avoid torrent theft.

Lately I have been on a Doom Metal Kick - so I try and get an album from various bands before I purchase all there releases. I don't have the money to track down original vinyl releases (ebay) - so I am stuck to getting re-issues of the classics.

If I truly like a band - I will order all there albums in a short time... I am currently on a vinyl "kick". I try and get all the good underground releases. I have the Solstice and Procession Iron Codex Vinyl's and they SLAY !!! Great artwork and very heavy vinyl.. The WitchFinder General recent Vinyls have been outstanding -- I even got Resurrected - It has a SICK slipcase and top notch artwork - It is a shame the Vocals are so horrible - but at lease Phil Cope's Riffs are heavy as fuck.

So I am a vinyl buyer - who loves re-issues of classics -- WHY? dont have a fucking fortune for the originals.. I have a good mix of vinyl and CD.. I still listen to the hundreds of cassettes I have and I still look for them at yard sales..
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

Shiremen wrote:Help! What shall I choose?
I think if you, being a vinylman by heart, start w/ CDs due to rational reasons, you soon will regret it.

done the same a few years ago when I got back into metal so I know what I'm talking about - grabbed all those really cheap reissue CDs of all the stuff I missed in the 80s (or even sold in the meantime :oops: ) but after a year or so I started to sell all that crap and hunted the vinyl instead! aside from the superobscure and überrar stuff, you can still make quite a bargain on vinyl LPs btw, shipping indeed is a factor. I always try to shoot more than one LP from the same seller in order to relatively reduce that..

what I realised regarding METAL is that vinyl belongs to it (for me) mainly for historic and sentimental reasons. I have lots of Metal CDs too but I buy them only if the vinyl is going for unreasonable prices and I am not willing or able to pay shitloads or wait until doomsday for a cheap copy to show up (and if it does, I can still get rid of the CD then).

outside of metal, it's different - it doesn't annoy me at all having a CD of some Indie Rock album that came out in 1993 and CD was the main format at that day - so I still have more CDs than LPs in my collection overall, that's because I have still maybe 50% Indie stuff. Metal vinyl is heavily catching up though - and soon I will encounter serious space problems! :)
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

CDs, 1st pressings, trying to get about every thrash release from 80s / early 90s but unfortunately I need money from time to time so I have sold few albums that I had or will have to buy again someday.

LPs - some, but I'm selling most of my small vinyl collection since I don't have a good turntable or much place to store them.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I gather both CDs and vinyl - gotta like it or it gets sold. The music counts for me and price is usually a factor, unfortunately. I like CDs, I also like records! Tapes I gave up on years ago. Too many disasters.
Detest Records

Post by Detest Records »

It depends of the genre ...

Early 90's Scandinavian / Euro Death Metal: I try to get everything I can ... If a vinyl version exists, I choose this one. If the Cd version has interesting bonus trax (such as ALTAR/CARILAGE Split Lp), I seek it too.

Thrash/Heavy/etc.: Music is my first criteria ... but I'm also attracted by rare and obscure stuff.

In some case, I also collect stuff by label, such as Thrash Records (France).

I mostly collect vinyls and tapes but I also have lots of zines, shirts, flyers, promo pictures here ...
DESECRATOR777

Post by DESECRATOR777 »

1. the music simply must rule my mind.
2. the music must simply rule my mind.
3. bad english rules my mind.
4. great fucking artwork.

vinyl vinyl and vinyl by all means.
sometimes i get the cd until i score the vinyl if its something really pricey and im not sure if it will be worth it for me.
spit on thunder!
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

tomas wrote:There are a few factors that are important to me when I buy metal LPs:
If a record has one of these, it is 'buyable'. The more factors, the more the record will fit in the collection.

-Good music (the most important factor)
-Cool cover (I'm a sucker for awesome metallic record covers...)
-Rarity (if I don't like it, maybe I can sell / trade it later)
-Nostalgic value (something I used to have on tape when I was a teenager)
I agree with the above points.

In terms of being completist there are about 5 bands that I am completist about (Zemial/Agatus/Sadistik Exekution/Arghoslent/GBK).

Lately I haven't been purchasing many LP's however I'm always on the lookout for a good demo tape. Preferably old Greek DM/BM demos.

If it has a great cover then that's always a bonus.

If I don't know what the band is I try and do research before I buy. I'll never buy blindly again.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Satan is Our Pal wrote:If it's cheap I'll usually end up buying it. My focus at the moment is NWOBHM tapes and 45's and Ebony Records(just 8 to go with that one) But it's much more fun stumbling upon records than having a wants list as such. Condition wise vg will do me, a battle worn edition if you like. I don't have any CD's.
Having now sold over 300 records and all my demo tapes, things have changed a little since I posted the above. I just couldn't justify having all these rare records when I needed new film equipment. I don't miss any of them in the slightest. My wants list is under 100.

NWOBHM is still a genre I have a serious passion about, but I have all the 45's I want apart from the first Witchfinder General 45, which I have in the Die Hard set.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.