How Do You Collect?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

how I collect? I buy records I like when I have money. when I don't have money I stop most of the time. I try to prioritize 'filling up' classic (to me) albums/eras/discographies, but it never works because a) too much great stuff comes out all the time and b) metal is not the only genre I am interested in. also I really suffer under having to live on a students budget these days.
Nocturnal Graves

Post by Nocturnal Graves »

I try to keep my collection somewhat trimmed I suppose. If I end up with new records that don't get any listening attention, or just sound so average that I know I won't go back to them or miss it I try to move it on.

But usually I am looking for records that I already own and listen to on some other format (tape/tape copy, CD/CDr), ones I listened to already enough to know it kicks ass, or different pressings of stuff I already have.
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

'pataphysicien wrote:how I collect? I buy records I like when I have money. when I don't have money I stop most of the time. I try to prioritize 'filling up' classic (to me) albums/eras/discographies, but it never works because a) too much great stuff comes out all the time and b) metal is not the only genre I am interested in. also I really suffer under having to live on a students budget these days.
Tell me about it. I go nuts when I see an awesome deal and frantically look for things to sell or trade (and of course I don't want to :lol: ).
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I just graduated, so I sympathize with folks on student budgets. It's really nice having a real job with a real paycheck; I'm just starting to get used to the fact that I can actually buy things without worrying quite so much about the money.

I have started picking up a few records without knowing much about them, if they catch my eye and the price is reasonable. Usually I don't like to buy stuff 'blind' llke that, it just seems like I've stumbled across some interesting-looking records lately that were unfamiliar but the price was right.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I still miss loads of standards and am always delighted to find them, good music is good music. More stories please! Best thread :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I collect for the music, for the most part, so I try to get the cheap ones first. After 25 years, I still don't have them all. When opportunity presents itself you better get that rare test pressing, but other than that, I don't understand getting the rare records rather than the good ones.

A lot of rare records are excellent, but Maiden, Priest and the other greats are still cheap and easy to get, so why fork out on Heathens Rage if you don't have Sad Wings of Destiny or Killers?
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.