Editions of hard to find metal albums

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Metalipeiklo

Editions of hard to find metal albums

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Some records seems to be found nowhere in their original editions. Except for the ones mentioned in the brilliant review section of The Corroseum, some record editions really puzzles me. The ones I can think about right now are:

ROOT
- Zjeveni CD (the LP seems easier to find than the CD, for sure)
- Hell Symphony LP
- The Temple in the underworld LP
(the orig. Monitor CD's are rather HTF as well)

MERCYFUL FATE
- s/t "Nuns have no fun" (white frame. I've heard 200, can somebody verify?)

CREDO
- Paying for everything LP + CD (on the Melodija pressings the edition can often be read in the "liner notes". Though this was not a Melodija album...)

Has anyone got a clue about how big editions of these were made? I've barely seen them.

Would be cool if people on this forum would post further requests and hopefully some answers too. Bootlegs are less interesting, at least from my point of view.
Fun records
DaN
Administructor

Re: Editions of hard to find metal albums

Post by DaN »

Metalipeiklo wrote:CREDO
- Paying for everything LP + CD (on the Melodija pressings the edition can often be read in the "liner notes". Though this was not a Melodija album...)
Are you sure this came out on CD? Never heard of it. If it's true I need a copy more than I need air to breathe.

As for the others I have no clue. I've heard that the CD editions of those early Czech albums were smaller than the LP editions though.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Check out this one :
http://www.geocities.com/rarebootlegs/Part1.htm

Check "Credo" among lots of other interesting info. Don't know how reliable the information is though... So don't hold your breath! :wink:
Fun records
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Metalipeiklo wrote:Check out this one :
http://www.geocities.com/rarebootlegs/Part1.htm

Check "Credo" among lots of other interesting info. Don't know how reliable the information is though... So don't hold your breath! :wink:
Very interesting list there, thanx! I guess CREDO could be a bootleg ripped from the vinyl. I better email the guy about it, coz the pressing on th "Paying For Everything" LP is pretty bad, so a proper CD would be awesome.
xr2m

Post by xr2m »

Metalipeiklo wrote:Some records seems to be found nowhere in their original editions. Except for the ones mentioned in the brilliant review section of The Corroseum, some record editions really puzzles me. The ones I can think about right now are:

ROOT
I have the original Monitor CD version of this album; I got it back around 1994. Strangely over the years I've seen the LP version pop up for sale more often than the CD version, which doesn't make much sense at all. I'm not sure what the Monitor LP has in terms of layout versus the CD, but the CD version doesn't even have lyrics or anything like that. Even the recent reissues by Redblack over the past few years have more information than the original versions, so I'd recommend getting those before tracking down the originals.
ancient tyranny

Post by ancient tyranny »

At least the old Törr LPs were pressed in large amounts (a couple of thousands) and sold for 1-2$ back then. So I guess there must exist alot of the Root vinyls aswell. Where they are, is another question :?
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

xr2m wrote:
Metalipeiklo wrote:Some records seems to be found nowhere in their original editions. Except for the ones mentioned in the brilliant review section of The Corroseum, some record editions really puzzles me. The ones I can think about right now are:

ROOT
I have the original Monitor CD version of this album; I got it back around 1994. Strangely over the years I've seen the LP version pop up for sale more often than the CD version, which doesn't make much sense at all. I'm not sure what the Monitor LP has in terms of layout versus the CD, but the CD version doesn't even have lyrics or anything like that. Even the recent reissues by Redblack over the past few years have more information than the original versions, so I'd recommend getting those before tracking down the originals.
You've seen the LP of "The temple..." more often than the CD? Strange! I've never seen the LP for sale but the CD's shown up a couple of times.

As for the Zjeveni album, I found it on original CD with a different cover (a whole band photo). Never seen that one elsewhere! The LP should be quite easy to get hold of.

Hell Symphony CD I've seen go for sale for huge amounts of money. LP, never seen.
Fun records
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

By the way, here's a damn fucking hilarious story I heard last summer. At a market in Latvia I asked a man if he had any records for sale. Turned out that his english was far above average. - No, he hadn't got any left. Some years ago he used to have BOXES of nearly all Melodija metal albums, 10-20 copies of each. Though he had some problems with electricity in the winter, so he had to BURN all of them in the chimney not to freeze!

Another funny thing is that when the Melodija factories in the ex-USSR went bankrupt people could buy LP's there for around 1 EUR, per kilogram! :)
Fun records
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Metalipeiklo wrote:By the way, here's a damn fucking hilarious story I heard last summer. At a market in Latvia I asked a man if he had any records for sale. Turned out that his english was far above average. - No, he hadn't got any left. Some years ago he used to have BOXES of nearly all Melodija metal albums, 10-20 copies of each. Though he had some problems with electricity in the winter, so he had to BURN all of them in the chimney not to freeze!

Another funny thing is that when the Melodija factories in the ex-USSR went bankrupt people could buy LP's there for around 1 EUR, per kilogram! :)
Hahahaha, what the hell.. Wasn't there anything better to burn except for those vinyls. :P
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
anthares

Post by anthares »

Burning vinyls? Isnt that at least smelling like shit? Not even talking about the healthiness? Well, hell I know.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Metalipeiklo wrote:CREDO

Has anyone got a clue about how big editions of these were made? I've barely seen them.
Got the answer on this one. The CREDO LP has an edition of 10000 (ten thousand) copies (it says in a small note on the back of the cover for the curious ones. Many Melodija releases, and I suppose Russian Disk is a post-Melodija private company, had their editions stated on the cover). I suppose this was the one and only edition of the CREDO LP.
Fun records
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Hey people, why don't you use www.musik-sammler.de ? it's a killer resource!

Entries for Nuns have no fun:

http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/8949 (first press with white border, ltd. to 200)
http://www.musik-sammler.de/media/8950 (the second press without white border)

+ some bootlegs/CD rerelases
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

sovdat wrote:Hey people, why don't you use www.musik-sammler.de ? it's a killer resource!
Not that bad when it comes to general release info. But when it comes to these edition numbers of some records... well, I guess noone knows. Thanks for the MF info!
Fun records
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

Metalipeiklo wrote:
sovdat wrote:Hey people, why don't you use www.musik-sammler.de ? it's a killer resource!
Not that bad when it comes to general release info. But when it comes to these edition numbers of some records... well, I guess noone knows. Thanks for the MF info!
Yeah, surely doesn't seem like the most relaible source. There are definitely three official pressings of the "Nuns have no fun" from the '80s on Rave-on and they only mention two. There's an easy way to differ the second and third pressing too even though they both have black borders. There was small text added on the bottom half of the back cover for the third pressing (ditributor name or something). Can't remember what it was exactly as I only have the first pressing.

The different cover art in original "Zjeveni" CD is partly because the CD version was released a lot later later than the vinyl. Initially it was a LP only release but the need of CD became evident and one was pressed. I'm interested in getting a copy of this CD is someone has a spare.

Doesn anyone know hoe many copies of the English version "Revelation" was made? Hardly a rarity but doesn't seem to pop up too often.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

There are only two versions listed because Musik Sammler is a site for managing your collection, and the third one isn't listed because no member of the site has got it. So, everyone can sign in onto this page and list his / her collection for free. Therefore the database is growing all the time and all more or less all stuff there is reliable, 'cause it's taken from personal collections. Look for Graven Image there :)