Autographed / Writing on sleeve?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

I don't want to sell anything that I've had signed. There's too much sentimental value for me to do that.

A couple of times, when I've been chatting to artists after their gigs, I've asked them to "customise" their album covers rather than just sign them. Trumans Water & Matt Waldron (irr. app. ext.) have done this for me.

"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Honestly, i don't a give a shit about signed LPs/CDs. I prefer to keep the artwork intact.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

glockose wrote:BUT YES if you personally got it signed there is a lot of personal value in it. Completely understood, But again if you go to sell that item someday dont expect to get paid more because of the Autograph. Thats for PRIVATES as ther is a small community for these.

If your talking Mega Group major label (AC/DC, Sabbath, Zep......) this changes since the group of buyers gets a lot larger
My thoughts exactly. A copy of WYZARD which a large, green signature all over the beautiful cover art could very well sell for half the usual amount, while a worn-out copy of "Paranoid" with Ozzy's puke on it will buy you a perfectly decent used car.

Personally I don't mind signed albums even if it's on the front cover, as long as there's no personal dedication. An exception would be if the name by a sheer fluke happens to be your own. I once picked up a Lene Lovich (old New Wave-queen whom I worship) album in Copenhagen with "To Dan from Lene" written on it - one of my most priced possessions!

On the other hand I bought this signed copy of the BATHORY debut (2nd "white goat" pressing) just to trade for almost a year now and I just can't get rid of it. Probably coz I haven't found a die-hard Bathory-fan named 'Tomas' yet :roll:
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

Signed albums is crap if they are signed all over the cover. I do though like my copy of After Dark 7" which is signed by the whole band on the white label on the record. As long as the autographs aren't written on the cover it can be nice, signed inserts etc. work too.
hload

Post by hload »

DaN wrote:
glockose wrote:BUT YES if you personally got it signed there is a lot of personal value in it. Completely understood, But again if you go to sell that item someday dont expect to get paid more because of the Autograph. Thats for PRIVATES as ther is a small community for these.

If your talking Mega Group major label (AC/DC, Sabbath, Zep......) this changes since the group of buyers gets a lot larger
My thoughts exactly. A copy of WYZARD which a large, green signature all over the beautiful cover art could very well sell for half the usual amount, while a worn-out copy of "Paranoid" with Ozzy's puke on it will buy you a perfectly decent used car.

Personally I don't mind signed albums even if it's on the front cover, as long as there's no personal dedication. An exception would be if the name by a sheer fluke happens to be your own. I once picked up a Lene Lovich (old New Wave-queen whom I worship) album in Copenhagen with "To Dan from Lene" written on it - one of my most priced possessions!

On the other hand I bought this signed copy of the BATHORY debut (2nd "white goat" pressing) just to trade for almost a year now and I just can't get rid of it. Probably coz I haven't found a die-hard Bathory-fan named 'Tomas' yet :roll:

dan,my bro, if you only knew....you should respect signed stuff...otherwise i wouldn't have an extra messiah copy.... :lol: ....sometime i'll write how i took my wyzard from a box full of them that andi had in a boerse.... :lol:
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

hload wrote:
DaN wrote:

dan,my bro, if you only knew....you should respect signed stuff...otherwise i wouldn't have an extra messiah copy.... :lol: ....sometime i'll write how i took my wyzard from a box full of them that andi had in a boerse.... :lol:
This is what we have been talking about

From a (seller/buyers) stand point Most Autographs al only WOC and do not increase the value of the piece and sometimes decreases it

From a (collectors/obtainer) stand point there is a lot of personal value but this is not monitory value.

Of coure there are some exceptions to this like stated above with Mega Bands, Dead proformers or presentation copies like DP stated (artest, producer,....)
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Here is a good example of what I am trying to say.

There is a funny part in a very bad movie that goes something like this.

Two old poor looking guys are discussing how much money they have and one states that he has a "Very valuable coin collection" that he has been saving to give his son one day. The other wants to see it. So he gets up and goes behind this hidden compartment in the wall. Inside he takes out a locked box and puts it on the table, The first guy well he can't believe what he is seeing, this must really be a "valuable coin collection". He opens the lock and inside there are 5 copies in fancy plastic containers.

They take them out one at a time and the first guy is puzzles since in the plastic he sees these are Ordinary everyday coins. 2 Pennies a Dime and a Quarter. A whole 36 cents.

He says "I don't understand these are nothing special, This is not a rare valuable coin collection"

The owner says "OH yes they are! these 2 Pennies I found when I went to the Zoo with my father for the first time when I was 5 years old, and this Quarter I got in some change when I went on my first date with my wife, and well this Dime was given to me when I meet the President of the USA in 1970 when I was 12 years old"

Really a whole 36 cents. But to him PRICELESS
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Brilliant!! You just made my day with that story!
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

I really only want signed stuff if its signed to me by the band or signed by the band for me. I also dont want an awesome cover fucked up by tons of scribbling like that AVATAR ep that sold a while ago. I mainly like signatures on inserts, seperate photos, and back covers unless its a reasonably sized signature on a record with a lot of blank space (like Jim Hamar's signature on my copy of "Get Tough!"). I really like if records are signed to me by name especially if they have little notes with them, those are among my "most prized" items regardless of thier monetary value (such as Aftershok CDs, my Purgatory EP, etc). For Christmas 2004 all of Aftershok signed both thier CDs for me and Vic Hix wrote on one "To Kenny: Keep Rocking!" Stuff like that I think is awesome, but random unrecognizable signatures on an LP from ebay dont appeal to me at all. Unless it has some kind of historical significance like the Ritual (BEL) ep signed by the deceased bass player (over his picture of him posing dead). Thats just awesome (and kind of creepy) and I think thats really cool.

Im hoping to have my long-term #1 Want signed to me personally soon, but i dont want to say what it is until i recieve it...
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I dont like them
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Still, every once in a while you come across an item so sweet you just have to grab it:

boris

Post by boris »

guess I've prompted the idea of this topic John ?

first of all, personal autographs I think are to be cherished as trophies. getting mine was always fun, so it's mostly good memories ... waiting hours for Dio after his gig, assaulting Coverdale's limousine at the rear entrance to the concert hall, bumping into Marty Friedman on the street in Tel Aviv, my dad raising old childhood memories with the older Aria guys ...

Autographs not obtained myself have some value for me as well (not when they are addressed to someone else though ...) I don't know but it raises the value of the record for me, makes it even more special ...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

glockose wrote:Here is a good example of what I am trying to say.

The owner says "OH yes they are! these 2 Pennies I found when I went to the Zoo with my father for the first time when I was 5 years old, and this Quarter I got in some change when I went on my first date with my wife, and well this Dime was given to me when I meet the President of the USA in 1970 when I was 12 years old"

Really a whole 36 cents. But to him PRICELESS
Yes, I like the idea of sentimentality too.

I have some personally signed Voivod stuff (some CD's, artwork & letters etc.. from old Iron Gang fan club days) & some signed Rush stuff, a signed/framed Rush LP and signatures of Ozzy, Cooper, Paul Rodgers etc on promo photos..
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?