Dan's collecting method appreciation thread

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
boris

Dan's collecting method appreciation thread

Post by boris »

well it appears Dan is a bit wiser than it is commonly thought ...

remember you always said to wait till we find 'em for cheap ..? well it works out pretty nicely these days and pays off financially :)
most if the good stuff in my collection came this way :

got a few free copies of the ARC 7''
got a couple free copies of the DRAGONSLAYER 7''
got a free copy of the RADIUM 7''
paud 12.50 for a copy of the ULL MOON 7'' which once sold on ebay for $1026 a couple of years ago
got a free SWEET SAVAGE 7''
got an almost free ELECTRIC VOYAGE 7''
got almost free DOGGIE OZWALD 7''

so point is - it works, don't spend hundreds of $$$ on a record when you first spot it ... just wait a bit and you'll find it cheap, believe me !!

another example was with 7''s by Jonah and Vision, both NWOBHM, very obscure and unknown. I don't really remember about Jonah but I think I bought it for a fracture of the price it originally went for, but Vision was sold for $100 the first time it was on ebay. a week later I got my copy for $5 from the same seller ...
Last edited by boris on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

I'm still waiting for free Crillson, Ferat, Silence, etc. CDs but haven't spotted any. :( :) But I do agree that you can find lots of cool stuff if you're patient (and have enough of spare time for searching of course).
DaN
Administructor

Re: Dan's collecting method appreciation thread

Post by DaN »

Ha ha, hardly a "method" invented by me, but it's true, being patient will always save you a lot of cash. It also helps to not get too fixated on one particular scene/sound/country and not being a rabid completist about anything particular, but that part comes down to taste I guess. The more bands/styles/scenes of classic Metal you appreciate, the more likely you are to run into something you'd consider "special". Just simple math.

As always Time is also a factor. How much you're ready to spend it running around in stores, at fairs, flea-markets, hunting down old stocks and collections etc... If I were to add upp all the days, weeks, years I've been doing that I'm sure the result would look pretty depressing to the uninitiated, but we all know the hunt is better than the catch, right? Well almost anyway...
boris wrote:well it appears Dan is a bit wiser than it is commonly thought ...
Hey!?! Me LEGENDARY clever! :evil:
boris

Post by boris »

Point is - you don't have to be rich to own all this stuff ! I mean ... OK so you have it on tape or CDR ... you got the music to listen to ! just give it some time and you'll come upon a good deal and will eventually own the original.
there's always people who don't know what they're selling, musicians who have boxes in their attics, broke collectors who need money and are doing a sale, or just people who don't need it anymore and give records away for free ...
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Easy to say - Hard to do :) In practice it's not so perfect.Also it depends how many contacts you have,location where you live,knowledge of english language and so on...
boris

Post by boris »

well I live in Israel, you can't find a worse place for a metal collector. I started off without contacts and without money. I didn't spend days and nights looking for that stuff, but here and there came upon some contacts, some email, some phone numbers and eventually got some of these records. it takes years of course, you don't find something behind every corner, but still, with patience, you'll find what you need.
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

Killer. Now trade me one MDS 7'' if you will have any spare. ; ) Will offer good stuff. ; )
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL
humus

Post by humus »

Everybody can buy a collection now with ebay. I have seen my entire wantlist minus a handful of things for sale there, but I don't want to pay high prices. We all know that nothing beats the feeling of getting something you wanted...for cheap!! I have a few great finds every year (yes, sometimes even on ebay!), be it vinyl, cd's, tapes or shirts.
If at one time, for some reason, I would have a serious disposable income, I think I would buy some expensive records though. But on my limited budget it's bargain hunting untill I drop. Though I must say I don't get my bargains from contacting people who know people who...like Boris, I just keep my eyes open very well and invest time in it.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

lunaboy wrote:Easy to say - Hard to do