Record stores in Berlin

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Acke

Record stores in Berlin

Post by Acke »

I'm going to Berlin in a couple of weeks and I would like to have some recommendations on good record stores in the area.

So, drop some addresses!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I'm afraid the situation is quite disappointing in Berlin as far as metal record stores are concerned. At least the kind of metal we're searching for. I've been there twice and although i can't say that i searched too much, the rarest metal record i found was a G-/G- copy of the Fear of the dark LP in a run-of-the-mill-we-sell-whatever-stands-in-our-way second hand.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I've only seen bigger record shops there.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

regarding Metal, it is not quite an "El Dorado" here (but where it is, anyway.. :roll: )

you sometimes can find something good on flea markets (weekends) like the big one on Strasse des 17. Juni in Tiergarten (there is one guy who has quite good stuff, mostly psych but also some semi-rare metal) or in the Mauerpark in Prenzlauer Berg.

When it comes to stores, there are a few with Metal depts.(but really nothing special), what comes to my mind are i.e. Comeback Rec. in Kreuzberg (Hasenheide), Freak Out Rec. in Prenzlauer Berg (Prenzlauer Allee) or No Näme Räckortz in Neukölln (Lenaustr. but I fear that one closed some time ago, am not sure though). There has been a Nuclear Blast Store some years ago in Friedrichshain but the last time I wanted to check it out I wasn't able to find it again and think it is closed now.. (had only the usual new stuff, anyway) - in Friedrichshain is another one worth checking: Bis aufs Messer Rec. (at least a great name :twisted:, Marchlewskistr.) - but don't expect too much from any of those..

For Krautrock/Psych/etc. , there are at least two very good stores, both in Friedenau: Hurricane (Hauptstr.) and Pandora's Box (Stubenrauchstr.), good for punk: VoPo Rec. in Prenzlauer Berg (Danziger Str.) and CoreTex in Kreuzberg (Oranienstr.).

There was a quite big one in Charlottenburg that had loads of 2nd hand vinyl (all genres), 2+2 Rec. (?) (not sure about the name but it was in Wilmersdorfer Str., somewhere on a backyard, not very easy to find.. haven't been there in ages, not sure if it still exists).

If I remember correctly one of our US members (Glockose?) ranted about huge finds here some time ago.. would be curious myself where that was..
Last edited by sagrotan on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Ok
Lets see how much I can remember.

The 2 Fleas I went to I DID GREAT at. The big one you mentioned was the best. The guy with the psych if a really nice guy who I had a few beers with the next night. He has a lot more stuff then what he brings out.

The other flea (Dont know the name) it was near an older train station with a strange intersection. Most of the deallers were Turkish and all had vinyl. Mostly eastern stuff.

The stores I hit were all Psych related as that is why I was there but ALL had metal. I will have to ask my guide for a few names since I really didn't pay attention. I bought Metal at every store he brought me to. Had to ship back a few hunderd LP's.

My guide for the 10 days was Hans Beir from Nasoni records, I dont know if you know him. I will send him am email and see what he says.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

glockose wrote:The other flea (Dont know the name) it was near an older train station with a strange intersection. Most of the deallers were Turkish and all had vinyl. Mostly eastern stuff.
maybe that was the one at the Zeughaus and Pergamonmuseum, nearby S-Bahn Friedrichstrasse (that could be the station you mentioned). highly possible you could find some eastern stuff there.. another one with probably Turkish sellers is located in Treptow, Eichenstr. - that's an indoor market in some big storage building though.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

sagrotan wrote:
glockose wrote:The other flea (Dont know the name) it was near an older train station with a strange intersection. Most of the deallers were Turkish and all had vinyl. Mostly eastern stuff.
maybe that was the one at the Zeughaus and Pergamonmuseum, nearby S-Bahn Friedrichstrasse (that could be the station you mentioned). highly possible you could find some eastern stuff there.. another one with probably Turkish sellers is located in Treptow, Eichenstr. - that's an indoor market in some big storage building though.
Maybe the first one. since there was nothing indoors.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

COVER in Kurfürstendamm 11 Berlin.It is in the centre of Berlin and has cheap LPs and Cds from lot of styles of music.You can find many bargains there.But they have normally not so rare stuff.

From Metal there is enough 80's Cd's,Lp's.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Forget about the record shops if you go to Kurfürstendamm and take a walk nearby to talk to some überhot, semi-naked ladies who are walking the streets alone late at night..................
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Acke

Post by Acke »

Thanks a lot for your answers!
Shiremen

Berlin and shops

Post by Shiremen »

I am going to Berlin in June. Can anyone recommend some good record shops or Heavy Metal places to visit?
nabel

Post by nabel »

Halford bar and Paule's Metal Eck near it (check google for details) There was this third pub also but I can't remember it name. Help us out Bane!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

humus

Post by humus »

Didn't the guy from Iron bonehead open up a shop in Berlin quite recently?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

'A nightclub which has gay/lesbian DarkWave - Metal - Punk parties'

This sounds like lots of fun. Who doesn't like his share of gay/lesbian metal?

I can recommend Access bar.