Still Sealed?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
humus

Still Sealed?

Post by humus »

[split from the Insane Ebay Auctions thread/Admin]

Fils Du Metal wrote:So I just mailed a friend who also owns a sealed one where the sealing is opened 2 cm and the inlay is inside!
Sealed copies of 20 year old records...that's just stamp collecting and not about the music.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

humus wrote:
Fils Du Metal wrote:So I just mailed a friend who also owns a sealed one where the sealing is opened 2 cm and the inlay is inside!
Sealed copies of 20 year old records...that's just stamp collecting and not about the music.
Oh come on, don't start again! Stop bitching around, and try to understand people! What's this, are u trying to show yourself as a"Metal Inquisitor"here? :lol: :lol: :evil:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
tomas

Post by tomas »

If I found a sealed copy of Paradoxx, I wouldn't open it because
1. the music sucks and I don't understand why collectors get extatic about this one
2. I'd leave it in my closet in mint condition and sell it in a couple of years
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time:
Fils Du Metal wrote:So I have to open the sealed one now to check if the insert is inside? Argh this would kill me if it wouldn't be included...
seriously if a record has been sealed for 20 years you obviously have little to no intention of opening it so who gives a fuck if the insert is in there or not, it could contain willy wonka's last golden ticket for all its worth!
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

2. I'd leave it in my closet in mint condition and sell it in a couple of years
exactly!
humus

Post by humus »

BlackStele wrote:
humus wrote:
Oh come on, don't start again! Stop bitching around, and try to understand people! What's this, are u trying to show yourself as a"Metal Inquisitor"here? :lol: :lol: :evil:
I have a tendency to say what I think, does that make me a metal inquisitor? I don't mind collectors, and am one myself to a certain degree, but having sealed records is just plain stupid. It reminds me of this Belgian fellow who bought his third copy of Nirvana's 'Love buzz' 7" because he 'thinks they will rise in value even more'. If you have sealed 80's records it's because you either speculate with them, or because you just want to have something to show-off. It's not about the music.
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

ok, maybe it's wrong to continue this"conversation", but you miss something: People have different priorities, and sth that it's not important for YOU, must be vital for someone else, but that doesn't give you the right to question him! You speak as if you're 15-20 years old! Well, I don't know your age, but that comes out from what you're implying...I know people who are METAL to the bone, and have a lot of old, sealed vinyls, so what?? Also, a"stamp collector"will EASILY turn into a "mp3 collector", and the opposite, if you know what I mean! So don't blame old, sealed vinyls for that, personalities and brains define the outcome, and nothing else! This"bravado" attitude will evaporate with the pass of the years, and what will stay is METAL, so don't consume yourself away by putting easily labels on people you might don't know, or make some kinda of witch-hunt, or manifest some sort of rules! Live your life with the way you desire, and try to be better, not worse..
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

In the first 15 years of dealing I never sold Sealed records.
I had thousands and would open everyone before shipping, Just to make sure there was no problems(press defect, warp....), Also with the mind set of the person making the purchase is going to open it anyway so why not.

In the last 5-6 years I have started to sell Sealed record at the request of some collectors.
I completely understand there stand point BUT I have had a few small problems with this and had to refund some $ and/Or resend other opened copies that had no problems.

Its a chance you take when purchasing Sealed vinyl.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Folks can collect whatever and however they want, but glockose makes a very good point; if the record is sealed you really don't know what you have in there. The record might have any number of manufacturing defects or other damage, or be missing an insert (which is what started this conversation). If you want a sealed copy, that's fine, but in my opinion it is not worth nearly as much as a copy that has been opened and confirmed to play correctly and have the right inner sleeve/inserts/etc.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

glockose wrote:Its a chance you take when purchasing Sealed vinyl.
I totally agree with that, but this is another point, yeah there's a big risk while ordering a sealed vin!
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Also another thing I have been told, dont'know if it's true or not but a friend told me that the shrink wrap on record sleeves contracts over the years, putting pressure on the record and causing it to warp. Is this true?
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Yes and No.
All shrink is not the same. As I am sure you know

This can be a problem but I would say only 5% of the time.

There are other facts to be added in.
Thinkness of cover
Thickness of Vinyl
Storage location and position (standing or flat)

Not Just the shrink
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Ok thanks for the information. I was aware all right that not all shrink wraps are of the same type but hadn't factored in the other variables - I'm sure heat has a lot to do with it also!
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

Ugh, the Earache catalog reissues in 2002 were sealed too tight! Covers came pre-bent! They also fucked up in that inner-sleeves were too tall to fit into the covers, so you had to rotate them 90 degrees to make them fit!

I'm talking about the US versions, the UK ones were much nicer and not fucked up!
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Well, yes I faced this prob with my sealed RAVEN BITCH copy...Hell, it was so tight-binded, that the cover was almost bent, but luckily the vinyl was ok, phieeeww! :(

P.S: Bent covers fix by putting heavy books upon them(without the vin inside ofcurse! :lol: ), it really works, believe me! :wink:
Last edited by BlackStele on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.