HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nightlock wrote:Was Jim more of a dealer or fan like yourself John? How did you guys get together and part ways? and what was behind the decision to sell all of your items?
Jim was a collector from day one all the way to the end.

We started OPM around 95 (I was already a dealer by that point) He got into OPM to have fun and to fund is ever growing collection.

We didn't really part ways. Jim moved to NZ and the market was a little crazy so we just SLOWED down. But we still do a lot of things together.

I cant talk for Jim in why he is selling his collection. At first it started as getting it small enough to move. Then I think it was just the right time.

As for me, I am selling the same as always (Everything has always been for sale) I dont look at this as an OPM liquidation, Just selling as always.

As Peter had mentioned what Jim and I did was look for the UNKNOWN. more so then the Big $ records(Leather Nunn, Iron Cross) We wanted to always find the NEW (Leather Nunn or Iron Cross) Thats what made if fun.

And I am still doing this today.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

DaN wrote: You'd imagine there would be some more "shy" unknowns from for instance Japan, or people who generally don't show up on the internet or at festivals.
I was thinking the same thing about shy but crazy Japanese collectors especially when reading the Underdog want thread in "Take it or Leave it"

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1561
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

MassOfKthulu wrote:John the rumor was Jim was always the fan and you always the dealer,can you clear the smoke on that
heard some stories that it was your brother that put you in the game in the early 90s with psych stuff ? i ve read the early OPM lists and im pretty sure it was mostly you behind them,commander/heathens rage/rellik still had a standard price of $30 then,leather nunn was sold for tops $100
This is True. I started selling records around 1986. My brother started a label called Rockadelic around 1987/88 That was the mold for OPM.

I started putting out Metal Lists in 92/93 By 1995 Jim was a big customes and we sat down and worked a Idea to do this together. He is the one who really conviced me to do OPM releases.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:John: when truly unknown items come up for sale, do people buy them b/c they're completists, or do you have to wait until you find a buyer that's familiar with the item? I almost never buy a record if I haven't heard it, so I'm just curious whether Unknown records sell to people who have heard them somehow or sell to folks that buy without knowing what it sounds like.
I think Both.
I think after all these years people trust me if something is good or not.

But most of the really UNKNOWN stuff does get heard before purchased.
Most of the Big collectors have been to My house or Jims and heard stuff over the years. So they know what it is when it comes up for sale.

Some people just want something that no one has.

There is a differance in what is rare and what is RARE
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, from my limited POV, Japanese collectors are often less vocal about what they own; when they buy records (metal or otherwise) the item 'disappears' into their collection. American and European collectors tend to be more open about what they do and don't have in their collections (there are plenty of exceptions of course). Again, that's just been my observation; someone with a broader range of contacts/observations may disagree.
Personally I've never had the money or space to try and be a completist, but I also decided early on that I wanted to stick to getting records I like, rather than trying to own all the 'crown jewels' (some of which suck musically) or owning everything under the sun. Thus, my collection is small and loaded with pretty 'common' stuff, but I can pick up any album i own and enjoy listening to it, so it's cool :) Nothing wrong w/ being a completist, it's just not how i myself collect.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Nightlock wrote:
DaN wrote: You'd imagine there would be some more "shy" unknowns from for instance Japan, or people who generally don't show up on the internet or at festivals.
I was thinking the same thing about shy but crazy Japanese collectors especially when reading the Underdog want thread in "Take it or Leave it"

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1561
YES there are a few BIG Japanese collectors.
although I think in the past 10 years they have been past by Europe

They are still there.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

John: thanks for all the cool info!
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

MassOfKthulu wrote: the german vinyl mafia
Thats Great. hahaha
Fils Du Metal wrote: the magic triangle .
This is BETTER!!
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

So then Jim is selling all of his collection, not just a part of it as he states in his auctions?

I was just browsing through the collectors corner at metalpage, and it seems that there's a lot of big collectors, and not only from USA or Germany :D - for example that Dutch Robert Haagsma guy (didn't he write a book about collecting or something like that?)...
deathster

Post by deathster »

Question from 1st post... Andi who? Andi Preisig?
humus

Post by humus »

sovdat wrote:for example that Dutch Robert Haagsma guy (didn't he write a book about collecting or something like that?)...
He wrote a book called 'Vinylfanaten' (vinyl fanatics) so it's more about the collectors. Been meaning to pick it up but haven't yet.

Well, the world of big collectors does look interesting and in a way even mysterious. Guess most people on this forum suffer from compulsive buying habits, some more than others. My guess would be that if we all had more money half of this forum would have 20000 records in their collection!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

humus wrote:
sovdat wrote:for example that Dutch Robert Haagsma guy (didn't he write a book about collecting or something like that?)...
He wrote a book called 'Vinylfanaten' (vinyl fanatics) so it's more about the collectors. Been meaning to pick it up but haven't yet.

Well, the world of big collectors does look interesting and in a way even mysterious. Guess most people on this forum suffer from compulsive buying habits, some more than others. My guess would be that if we all had more money half of this forum would have 20000 records in their collection!
Yeah, I have the book. Nice to read. HE interviewed lots of big collectors of all genres. The focus is not on metal though.

There are a few large collectors in Belgium. As the legend goes, it seems that Steve (ex-Neuthrone, ex-Thee plague of gentlemen) has a enormous collection. I've heard rumours that he ownes all NWOBHM 7"s. But I doubt that he bought stuff in the last 2 years :twisted:

I wonder how big the collection of Guido Gevels is.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Interesting topic. I agree with Humus. I think the major leagues of the collector world are really interesting and mysterious, but I also think that owning almost everything is boring. I think that's why some big collectors start selling off their vinyl. Maybe it just isn't fun anymore when you have all the legendary rare albums.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

tomas wrote:Interesting topic. I agree with Humus. I think the major leagues of the collector world are really interesting and mysterious, but I also think that owning almost everything is boring. I think that's why some big collectors start selling off their vinyl. Maybe it just isn't fun anymore when you have all the legendary rare albums.
Could be. I know a collector of 50s/60s albums that's starting to sell off his collection. He said he'd been collecting for around 20 years and it had been a lot of fun, but now he feels like it's time to move on and let the collection go.

I think for some older fans the question also comes up of "what will happen to the collection after I'm gone?". Unless they have a close friend/relative that collects the same kind of music, then it's likely the collection is just gonna be sold off. Some collectors are deciding to sell it themselves so they can just leave the money to their family rather than the collection. In many cases, no one else in the family is very familiar with the collection and selling it off for a good price would be much harder for them than for the collector. My grandmother had this problem after my grandfather died. He reportedly had an awesome stamp collection, but she knew nothing about stamps. After he died, she had a terrible time trying to figure out what was what, and she had several dealers try to steal from her (litterally in at least one case) and rip her off. My dad is curently thinking about whether to sell his collectibles rather than leave them for me and my family to deal with. In that case, I'm familiar enough with his stuff to be able to tend to them, but it would still be a lot of time and effort.
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

tomas wrote:when you have all the legendary rare albums.
This could happen.

when you have all the RARE albums

This could never happen....

New stuff discovered everyday! well, maybe every month.