HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
MassOfKthulu

HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Post by MassOfKthulu »

[split from the WW3 7" thread/Administructor]

the german vinyl mafia Peter ;)
i am still under the impression Andi's collection is now no1 in the world? since Jim Cranford started selling? or do you know better?
Here in Greece lots of guys started selling their collections..
John,what i meant is that Andi /german collectors have a chance of getting really rare items since Jim started selling,and since you are getting rid of the vinyl stock you have or am i wrong?
rare here means not stuff like leather nunn or street child,which are only expensive,not rare.i mean really hard to find records
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

MassOfKthulu wrote: i am still under the impression Andi's collection is now no1 in the world? since Jim Cranford started selling? or do you know better?
this makes me wonder... how long do most 'serious' collectors keep collecting? It seems that there's a decent amount of 'collector turnover' in metal (maybe in other genres too). I've known several guys that collected seriously for years but then sold off most/all their records when they got married, had kids, bought a house, retired, etc. This means that some of the rare/expensive items are changing hands every few years.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

i am still under the impression Andi's collection is now no1 in the world? since Jim Cranford started selling? or do you know better?
Honestly said I think Andi has the biggest metal collection on earth for years. As we are very good friends not in metal business only we meet actually all 14 days or so over the last 2 years, I live next to him, the magic triangle haha between Matthias and Andi. So I see for some years already how it is growing and how he is buying. If something is missing he gets it. No exception! In moment a lot of 7"'s are arriving.

For the 12"'s he surely has the biggest collection for years. Definitely.

For the 7"s it is impossible to get the stuff that Jim and John carry aropund on ebay or in collection.

Andi owns each demotape ever released I guess, Paradoxx, Raven Bitch, each band you can imagine and never thought of he has a demo. THIS DEMO COLLECTION IS BRUTAL! And his CD collection is without words anyway although very melodic.

Who wants to stop collecting and make an experience you never made before get his friend and visit him and the day you see all this the first time you will stop breathing and wondering how it can be possible.

For the US metal 7"'s and NWOBHM 7"'s ok there are other people owning those. For the 7"'s I know 2 guys in Switzerland (not Okilee-Dokilee) I will not call the names that have same size and maybe 90% quality of Jim's and John's stuff for sure.

There are surely 500 unknown 7"'s sleeping somewhere in the USA in little villages that will be dug out be Jim and John. Go hunt this killer INVASION 7" from 1985 :-)) Or RED RUIN...or whatever. I think for the 7"'s there is still a lot of new stuff that will be dug out.

Ok what am I writing here about others shame on me but this info can be given without problem I think
Good night....
Last edited by Fils Du Metal on Mon May 26, 2008 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

additional info on World War III. A friend of mine bought it for 80 Deutsche Mark (40 €) some years ago at Soulstripper when he was still active. He lives not far from me also so it is definitely not the only known copy for sure.

Really looking forward to find one also :-) John???? :-)
humus

Post by humus »

Out of interest, when you are talking about 'biggest collection', what kind of numbers are we talking about? I guess a few tenthousands or what?
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

The numbers...difficult but easily 10000+ records, for the CDs 20000+?
Demos: ALL :-) 80's bands...but it is not the numbers that makes this a "killer collection" You can also have a "biggest" collection with some hundreds in you collecting topic/theme (Japanese/Frech/Spanish metal etc...)
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Fils Du Metal wrote:The numbers...difficult but easily 10000+ records, for the CDs 20000+?
Demos: ALL :-) 80's bands...but it is not the numbers that makes this a "killer collection" You can also have a "biggest" collection with some hundreds in you collecting topic/theme (Japanese/Frech/Spanish metal etc...)
From metalpage.de (if I'm thinking of the right person of course :))

How big is your collection? Ca. 5000 LPs; 1000 ´7´; 1000 CDs; 300 Demos

Author & Date: Metal-Treasures.at, 2003-07-28

So that was 5 years ago :)
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Hah, great entry...those numbers are really not serious, especially the CD number with 1000, funny...5 years change a lot in people's lifes...fortunately/unfortunately :-)
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Peter - Very nice thoughts, YES there will be a lot of unknown USA 7" in the near future that hit the market. To me this is the only real un-tapped place to find UNKNOWNS.

As for size of collections Jim's collection hit 10,000+
My guess in Andi's is at LEAST that big, Bigger

Jim's main area was USA (everything) and World 7"
I think Andi concentrated on 12" from around the world, Not so many 7"

As demo tapes go yes Andi made a large purchase from me about 8 years ago. around 2000 tapes all from the USA.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Was Jim more of a dealer or fan like yourself John? How did you guys get together and part ways? and what was behind the decision to sell all of your items?
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Interesting subject that deserves its own thread.

It would be interesting to collect in a more "encyclopedian" manner, building up The Great Reference Library Of Heavy Metal. For me, time & money gets in the way :(

So do all manic 10000+ collectors reside in Germany or the US? You'd imagine there would be some more "shy" unknowns from for instance Japan, or people who generally don't show up on the internet or at festivals.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

John the rumor was Jim was always the fan and you always the dealer,can you clear the smoke on that
heard some stories that it was your brother that put you in the game in the early 90s with psych stuff ? i ve read the early OPM lists and im pretty sure it was mostly you behind them,commander/heathens rage/rellik still had a standard price of $30 then,leather nunn was sold for tops $100
Last edited by MassOfKthulu on Tue May 27, 2008 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

John: when truly unknown items come up for sale, do people buy them b/c they're completists, or do you have to wait until you find a buyer that's familiar with the item? I almost never buy a record if I haven't heard it, so I'm just curious whether Unknown records sell to people who have heard them somehow or sell to folks that buy without knowing what it sounds like.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Fils Du Metal wrote:Hah, great entry...those numbers are really not serious, especially the CD number with 1000, funny...5 years change a lot in people's lifes...fortunately/unfortunately :-)
perhaps there's 1 '0' missing, and it's 10.000 ... or did he buy 20.000 CDs in 5 years? :D

Are there any other Corroseum members with 10.000+ collection beside peterott?
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

reading that about the demo thing,that hurts so much.Ouch.i actually got my copy of the solar eagle demo back then from Jim too,and he was selling a few boxes of tapes as well around '02 or so,but 2000 US metal demo tapes..that destroyed my day