A resource so public it went back to obscure..

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
DaN
Administructor

A resource so public it went back to obscure..

Post by DaN »

As you may know I'm a bit engulfed in researching for info on old record labels at the moment and (inevitably?) I just stumbled across this very interesting resource. You know when you google for some obscure record or whatnot and some total gibberish links turns up that make absolutely no sense? Well, mostly they don't, but in a moment of desperation I decided to investigate one of them a bit deeper and so I eventually discovered http://cocatalog.loc.gov (!)

This is a database of all copyrighted material in the US from 1978 to present.
Library Of Congress wrote:3. The "hids" directory contains all bulk data from 1978
to the present. The record-oriented interface maintained
by the Copyright Office is limited to interactive keyword
searches. Their system identifies each record with a
unique Hidden ID (HID). This directory thus contains
all 21 million of those records sorted in HID order,
as well as a per-HID retrieval utility.

In posting these data, we rely partly on voicemail from the
Honorable Marybeth Peters, the U.S. Register of Copyrights
received Fri Sep 21 16:17:02 PDT 2007 in response to the
above-mentioned letter, in which Ms. Peters states that
"I think our records should be available to the public.
Certainly there's no copyright in any of the copyright
records. Certainly they're public records and they should
be openly available."
Bandname, tracklist, year of release, label, producer etc.. it's all in there if you tweak the search engine the right way.

Of course there's plenty of rare private pressings not included, but I've found a couple of those as well. Try it out and we'll see who can find the sickest, most obscure release in there :twisted:

Thank you, Ms. Peters. Metal-Archives Schmetal-Archives...
Last edited by DaN on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Knell

Re: A resource so public it went back to obscure..

Post by The Knell »

DaN wrote:Metal-Archives Schmetal-Archives...
:lol: :lol:

Awesome research ! I'll try.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Ok, can you give it step by step?

Go to google and paste
site:http://bulk.resource.org/copyright/hids/

Then click "google search"

Then what?
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Timbo, when you want to search to say for the band APE with the album SHIT you write this in the google window:

site:http://bulk.resource.org/copyright/hids/ APE SHIT

and then just hit search.

Google will search for the words APE and SHIT within the bulk.resource.org website. you can put them in quotation marks to look for the exact phrase, or use + sign to find both words within same page, or all other general search rules you can think of

Once google gives you the relsut link, you click on it, it will open a HUGE tex file without breaks (all files on their servers are huge, so you may want to save it on your HDD and open it with wordpad instead in your browser). Then once the file is open click on Edit->Find on this page... (or click CTRL+F for keyboard shortcut) and search again for "APE SHIT" to locate the entry you are looking for

I just tested it and it works, though I looked for AMULANCE "The Rage within" demo and it showed misspelled "RaNge Within" but nevertheless there it was. Impressive!
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

Even I tried AMULANCE and I couldn't figure it out.... :lol:
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:Even I tried AMULANCE and I couldn't figure it out.... :lol:
That's cool for me, one less label in the hunt for obscure re-releases :lol:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I knew there would be an easier way. Just found the seach engine for this database - see edited OP.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Damn! I really need those mysterious SINDROME-trax :shock:

Edit:
long urls = not good
Last edited by DaN on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Year of release for COVEN's "Worship New Gods" - [url=http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebre ... =25&HIST=1[/url]. Thank you!
Last edited by DaN on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

OK, this is the sickest one yet.

You know the "Pacific Metal Project" (Coma Rec. 85) compilation? It featured a band called XINR, doing a track called "Everpresent Angel". It's some of the most obscure, original and haunting US Metal I've heard, right up there with MAX PLANCK, COVEN, THE MEZMERIST etc. For YEARS I've been trying to find more info on the band, if they recorded anything else etc. One of the guys apparently ended up in CRUELLA (pretty lame imo) but that's all I've been able to dig out.

Turns out they recorded 11 songs in 1984, copyrighted in 1985! What's most disturbing is that the guys who wrote the music and lyrics apparently died in 1984. Very sad :( (If I interpret the data on that page correctly)

Still, the hunt for The Lost XINR tape has begun!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

OMG! XINR really did have a full-length tape released! Here's a little bit info from the Gordon Lee Weaver Band website. According to it Tony Saiz and Shawn Tramel were involved in band called Black Star prior to the tragic accident that took their lifes :cry:
Gordon again relocated, this time landing in The Dalles Oregon. Tony Saiz and Randy Bennett also moved to The Dalles and brought guitarist Shawn Tramel with them. These individuals eventually came together in the band Black Star. At different points in time this band had Ed Palmer on guitar and Dave Ridge on drums.This band struggled to find a permanent bass player (although Rick Meyer played bass for a while), but still managed to play parties, write uniquely disturbing rock tunes and experiment with studio recording. By the early 1980s Black Star disbanded. A few years later a tragic accident ended the promising lives of both Tony Saiz and Shawn Tramel
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:OK, this is the sickest one yet.

You know the "Pacific Metal Project" (Coma Rec. 85) compilation? It featured a band called XINR, doing a track called "Everpresent Angel". It's some of the most obscure, original and haunting US Metal I've heard, right up there with MAX PLANCK, COVEN, THE MEZMERIST etc. For YEARS I've been trying to find more info on the band, if they recorded anything else etc. One of the guys apparently ended up in CRUELLA (pretty lame imo) but that's all I've been able to dig out.

Turns out they recorded 11 songs in 1984, copyrighted in 1985! What's most disturbing is that the guys who wrote the music and lyrics apparently died in 1984. Very sad :( (If I interpret the data on that page correctly)

Still, the hunt for The Lost XINR tape has begun!
And why isn't it uploaded yet, Dan? I need to hear it asap!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
hload

Post by hload »

there isn't more xinr music, despite what dan says...2 members of the band died,shawn and tony, in motorcycle accident weeks before the pacific metal project was released. and thus they disbanded. same tragic case like arson from portland on that combo.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

hload wrote:there isn't more xinr music, despite what dan says...2 members of the band died,shawn and tony, in motorcycle accident weeks before the pacific metal project was released. and thus they disbanded. same tragic case like arson from portland on that combo.
It is recorded, but probably never released.

I've noticed that linking directly to the searches of the Copyrights database doesn't work very well. Just go to http://cocatalog.loc.gov/ , type XINR in the search window, choose "Search by: Keyword" and this info should turn up:
United States Copyright Office wrote:Xinr / [performed by] Shaun Tramel and Tony Saiz [i.e. Anton Joseph Saiz].

Type of Work: Sound Recording and Music
Registration Number / Date: SR0000063137 / 1985-04-10
Title: Xinr / [performed by] Shaun Tramel and Tony Saiz [i.e. Anton Joseph Saiz].
Imprint: [S.l. : s.n., 1985?]
Description: 1 sound cassette.
Copyright Claimant: © ℗ on 3 selections (Fall to the prey et al.); Geraldine Callahan
Date of Creation: 1984
Date of Publication: 1985-02-22
Authorship on Application: music, lyrics, performance: Shaun Lee Tramel.
Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.
Contents: Everpresent angel -- No lies -- Evil apple -- Fight the dragon -- All Hallow’s Eve -- The Devil’s gone -- The Hills have eyes -- The Ghostly galleon -- Fall to prey -- In Limbo -- Xinr.

Other Title: The Devil’s gone
The Hills have eyes
The Ghostly galleon
Names: Callahan, Geraldine
Tramel, Shaun Lee, 1963-1984
Saiz, Anton Joseph, 1957-1984
hload

Post by hload »

dan, i have an olde email from roger de carlo when he informed me about this. after the tragic loss the band(as XINR) disbanded. and the other 3 guys followed their separate ways. i can't argue that maybe one of them did something under the moniker of xinr without letting the other guys learnt about it. but is it xinr???????

here's the original reply i got from roger(in the beginning of 2006):

"hello george,this is roger,thanks for the email,i forgot all about the pacific metal project album!! man i tell you it's been a long brutal 23 years back in 1984 when we got that song on the pacific metal project comp. i have done quite a bit of bands & projects since then!! but first the sad news, Shaun & Tony tragically got killed on a motorcycle accident weeks before the pacific metal project lp came out, you talk about a heavy mental load to bear on your mind! as it had a crushing effect on friends,fans,family,girl friends,especially me,paul,& kenny. to make along story short,we had to move on,wich was hard to do,for alot of us!! i will close for now,but!! check out my web site. nutzorog.net that will give you and idea what i have done over the years! i'm grateful that you contacted me,& i will talk to you again, thanks Roger DeCarlo"