eBay Bans Sellers from Leaving Negative Feedback for Buyers!

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Korgüll

eBay Bans Sellers from Leaving Negative Feedback for Buyers!

Post by Korgüll »

Not sure where to put this subject, (so move it if you need to DaN) but I guess it concerns some of us who sell metal related product on eBay regularly!!
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y08/m01/i29/s06

then this...
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/2 ... technology
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I got the message about this a couple weeks ago that eBay sends to the My Messages box on your eBay account.

Personally, I think that the feedback change that sellers are no longer able to leave negative feedback to buyers is a good one.

Several times I have left sellers nasty feedback based on shitty service on multiple different circumstances and I was left in return with negative feedback when I, as a buyer, did nothing wrong.

These feedbacks have of course been removed by eBay itself after about a month’s period of contacting them about it, but it's still an inconvenience, a huge waste of time and out right ridiculous.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Yeah, there's been alot of discussion about this since ebay announced the changes. Sellers are pretty mad; between the feedback change and the changes to the fees ebay charges them, they feel they're getting shafted.
The goal of the feedback change was to prevent 'revenge feedbacks' like those Avenger described. However, sellers ought to have the right to leave negative feedback on buyers, as there are any nuber of reasons a buyer might deserve negative feedback (not paying, paying slowly, whining about delivery time, trying to return the item for no reason, trying to use paypal loopholes to get their money bck AND keep the item, etc). Many sellers set up their auctions so as to block bidders with poor feedback histories, and that may not be possible from now on (it will be less accurate since deadbeat bidders won't get flagged w/ negative feedback). Lots of sellers are migrating to amazon marketplace, craiglist, and other sites that they think are fairer to the sellers.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I can live with the feedback change alone. Sure, there will be a nutjob buyers leaving you negative for a cracked jewel case, or "its been 3 days and I havent received my CD yet" - fine, I can cope with that.

BUT the fact that eBay IS tying the sellers rating to their feedback on determining sellers performance, and then if you have a lower rating of some percentage PayPal WILL keep hold on the money the buyer is sending you until:

1. The buyer posts you feedback
2. 21 days after the payment, IF the buyer hasnt given you feedback meanwhile

Now this is outright retarded!
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I guess sellers will have to require postal insurance and delivery confirmation so people can't lie and say they never got the item when the post office has proof they did,it would still be a dragged out mess though if a buyer decided to be an asshole about it.

I've had people file with paypal that I was scamming because it didn't get there as fast as they thought it should,the real reason was they already had the item sold in their ebay store before they even received it from me and were getting scared they wouldn't get it in enough time to send it to the other person, bunch of punk ass preps from rhode island thinking they were somebody,its like fuck people it takes awhile to get from california to your bung fuct egypt state chill out.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Abyss wrote:I guess sellers will have to require postal insurance and delivery confirmation so people can't lie and say they never got the item when the post office has proof they did,it would still be a dragged out mess though if a buyer decided to be an asshole about it.

I've had people file with paypal that I was scamming because it didn't get there as fast as they thought it should,the real reason was they already had the item sold in their ebay store before they even received it from me and were getting scared they wouldn't get it in enough time to send it to the other person, bunch of punk ass preps from rhode island thinking they were somebody,its like fuck people it takes awhile to get from california to your bung fuct egypt state chill out.
Paypal are dickheads and do not honor any international insurance/registration, unless it is signature certified. which makes shipping one or even several CDs abroad so costly no one will bother buying...

Yeah, it will be mess. There are plenty of bonehead buyers on eBay as it is. I'm arguing with a Greek dickhead now, coz he opted for not paying extra cash for registration/insurance and now is BLAMING me for not receiving his package and threatening me with negative feedback...

Fucking dishonest retards blaming sellers for their own decisions always piss me off big time!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

almost every time I left a feedback that was negative on a seller is because of 2 reasons: LAZY sellers that cannot pack parcels so they don't get damaged in the mail. this happens constantly. the other is overgrading. they think their crap is mint, don't even describe the defects, so of course you have to return it because of this. Then of course they are pissed because they hoped to dump off their overgraded crap to a buyer for a lot of $$. I still have the emails from the last jerk that behaved like this.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

stormspell wrote:
Abyss wrote:I guess sellers will have to require postal insurance and delivery confirmation so people can't lie and say they never got the item when the post office has proof they did,it would still be a dragged out mess though if a buyer decided to be an asshole about it.

Paypal are dickheads and do not honor any international insurance/registration, unless it is signature certified. which makes shipping one or even several CDs abroad so costly no one will bother buying...

Yeah, it will be mess. There are plenty of bonehead buyers on eBay as it is. I'm arguing with a Greek dickhead now, coz he opted for not paying extra cash for registration/insurance and now is BLAMING me for not receiving his package and threatening me with negative feedback...

Fucking dishonest retards blaming sellers for their own decisions always piss me off big time!
PRIORITY MAIL, EXPRESS MAIL, or REGISTERED MAIL should be your only option on ebay to out of the country buyers.... then no more headaches for dishonest people.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

My question is what must be done with the sellers who charge whatever they want for S&H? It has occured to me to pay even 100% more than the ordinary on S&H for items of the same size which were posted the same way (and from the same country of course). Some sellers want to earn even more $$$ by overcharging the delivery costs. What should be done to prevent this?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

On this subject, the answer is nor totally yes nor totally no. As a buyer, I got only one negative feedback, a "vengeance" feedback from a seller that asked me to do his job (to ask the post office about the package, etc), and that never offered me a refund or at least try to solve the problem. And I got recently a neutral feedback from a seller who got a neutral one from me because he sold me a russian pressing (at least an official one). This is the pros for the measure.
On the other hand, I have friends that rule distros, etc, and that face idiotic buyers all the time, people buying on Friday evening and complaining because their package wasn't received on Monday, people getting packages and then claiming to be ripped-off, etc. Some distros refuse to send unregistered packages mostly for this reason. So here are the cons.

To ION BRITTON: the best thing is to avoid buying to these sellers, IMO.
Gott ist tot.
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

ION BRITTON wrote:My question is what must be done with the sellers who charge whatever they want for S&H? It has occured to me to pay even 100% more than the ordinary on S&H for items of the same size which were posted the same way (and from the same country of course). Some sellers want to earn even more $$$ by overcharging the delivery costs. What should be done to prevent this?
the problem is the "handling" because a seller can define anything under that in addition to postage and packaging and certainly there is no limit. ebay won't do anything if cheaters use that for profit (or passing on of fees, you name it) so - if obvious before, only way is boycott. If overprizing appears only after your purchase this can be mentioned by comment or neutral/ negative feedback (depends). as a buyer you could do this easier with the new rules as no revenge feedback must be feared anymore.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Unfortunately when it comes to selling on Ebay, the seller does not have a leg to stand on! Everything will be decided in favor of the buyer, as Ebay want to keep their buyers happy & to keep buying.
& as stated here in a previous reply, unless you make registration or insurance compulsory to the buyer (as a seller) you will never win a case if the buyer is not happy or the item goes missing... very frustrating when you are an honest seller!
It has happened to me a few times before! I list on the end of my auctions "please insure this item if this concerns you" but that (unfortunately) doesn't mean squat if a buyer wants to file a claim for whatever reason... but if I make extra insurance costs compulsory I will never sell anything...
Also, handling should be added to the postage cost (I don't agree with over-charging tho') but these extra costs need to be taken into consideration: packaging material (bubble-wrap, post packs), markers/pens, petrol/gas to drive to the post office, time, standing in line to be served, paying for parking (sometimes) etc... they all add up for the seller.
There has been the odd occasion where I would have been much happier throwing the item in the bin, than sending it to some prick that has taken their time paying me, then complaining that it hasn't turned up in time & that the postage costs were too high - WELL DON'T BID IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY THE EXTRA POST CHARGE!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Avenger wrote:Personally, I think that the feedback change that sellers are no longer able to leave negative feedback to buyers is a good one.
I totally disagree with you, have you ever sold on ebay before?
Avenger wrote:Several times I have left sellers nasty feedback based on shitty service on multiple different circumstances and I was left in return with negative feedback when I, as a buyer, did nothing wrong.
Did you try to resolve the situation with the seller first? Or did you just go ahead & leave neg feedback for the seller b'cos you weren't happy??!? This is where this system won't work, it's a joke!
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:PRIORITY MAIL, EXPRESS MAIL, or REGISTERED MAIL should be your only option on ebay to out of the country buyers.... then no more headaches for dishonest people.
It may sounds funny, but PayPal does not honor registration # as a proof of shipment. If a buyer claims he never got the package, and his address is unverified (as 99% of international addresses are) pooof your funds go back to the buyer regardless if you have reg # or not.
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

stormspell wrote:
Shadow Kingdom wrote:PRIORITY MAIL, EXPRESS MAIL, or REGISTERED MAIL should be your only option on ebay to out of the country buyers.... then no more headaches for dishonest people.
It may sounds funny, but PayPal does not honor registration # as a proof of shipment. If a buyer claims he never got the package, and his address is unverified (as 99% of international addresses are) pooof your funds go back to the buyer regardless if you have reg # or not.
Yeah I totally understand but atleast you can prove that the package was delivered... and post that info on your negative feedback. And more times than not if you have proof the package was delivered the buyer won't bother trying to scam you on paypal.