Does Condition Effect Price?????

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

"Condition Queens" is the term I like to use. I like to keep everything I have in nice shape but go for mint when possible but I'll go for lesser grade when the price is right every time, or it is something I really want on the hope to get a nicer one in the future.
BlackStele

Re: Does Condition Effect Price?????

Post by BlackStele »

glockose wrote:Just a question I have for the masses
How much does condition effect price? for you..

If a record is not that rare and sells for say $50 Mint (Sealed)(very good record) you would want. Lets say for this experiment Wikka or Unleashed
How much do you think it should sell for if the following

1) Cover has seam split / Disc Mint? ---40$
2) Cover has sticker tear / Disc Mint? ---45$
3) Cover has cutout hole/saw mark/cut corner / Disk Mint? Sealed---15$
4) Cover have ring ware / Disc mint?---25$
5) Cover Mint / Disc has paper marks not effecting play but look bad?---40$
6) Cover Mint / Disc has scratches, no skips but makes noise in quit parts?35$

Maybe you think none of these should effect the price and the record should still sell for $50
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I'm surprised that people seem less put-off by sticker tears than by cut-out marks. Sticker tears can really ruin cover art, even if it's a small tear (especially if it's a black cover like the Saint vitus s/t); cut-outs rarely interfere with the artwork in a similar manner.
Just a matter of personal preference i suppose
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Keir

Post by Keir »

Seriously! I hate sticker tears, but cut-outs and drill holes don't bother me at all. Well, I mean I'd rather not have them but it's not going to have a significant effect on the price I'm willing to pay. Cut corners do bug me a little bit though.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Personally I'd be more put off by a sticker tear than a drill hole or cut corner.....I guess the price these days is more determined on how much you want the record....I see King Fowley had a HEATHENS RAGE ep on sale w/ damaged cover for $15. Well only speaking for myself for that price you can't go wrong really damaged cover or not. If I didn't have a copy already I'd snap it up and I presume it was.....I try and look for vinyls in pristine [or ex-vg+] condition as that's how the majority of my stuff is already but the fact is it does command a higher price.
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

why even sell such a great record only to get nothing for it?
sovdat wrote:Got $17.50 for my Unleashed copy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=014
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

nar marratuk wrote:I see King Fowley had a HEATHENS RAGE ep on sale w/ damaged cover for $15. Well only speaking for myself for that price you can't go wrong really damaged cover or not. If I didn't have a copy already I'd snap it up and I presume it was.....
It was snapped up... and supposedly re-sold for $200+ despite the back cover being ripped.

After seeing the Slauter Xstroyes sell for $600+ despite some obvious cover wear, I thought I'd revive this thread to ask how much 'normal' wear should reduce the price of an album. Let's consider 2 albums; the Wikka EP glocknose used earlier in this thread to discuss certain forms of damage, and also Slauter Xstroyes, which is a rarer/more expensive item. What would you pay for each one in the following conditions?
1- M-/M-
2- Ex/Ex (covers with very minor ringwear, slight corner bumps, vinyl has scuffsthat don't affect play)
3- VG+/VG+ (noticeable ring wear, edge wear and light creases on corners, album has some pops/static)
4- VG-/VG- (cover shows lots of wear and corner creases, vinyl has noticeable background noise, maybe one skip)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky