80's bands gear

When mere Metal consumerism is not enough - a forum for musicians and their trinkets.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Stark wrote:Marshall 100w Super Bass (modded with master volume)
WOAAAA!!Do you still got this amp?I do and it rules BIG TIME!Old Marshalls never die indeed!
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Stark

Post by Stark »

Witchkiller wrote:
Stark wrote:Marshall 100w Super Bass (modded with master volume)
WOAAAA!!Do you still got this amp?I do and it rules BIG TIME!Old Marshalls never die indeed!
No, I'm afraid not :( . I actually had Thomas Larsson re-mod it, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted so I sold it and if I'm not mistaken it's actually ended up by Björn Lodin (Six Feet Under) which whom I've just recorded an album :-)

I'm currently using a Hughes & Kettner Trilogy, a Hughes & Kettner WARP 7 and a Orange Tiny Terror.
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Could you tell me your opinion on the WARP 7?Are you satisfied?
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Stark

Post by Stark »

Witchkiller wrote:Could you tell me your opinion on the WARP 7?Are you satisfied?
Yes I am actually. It's a great power pack. Even without using any stomp boxes it ranges from perfectly clean on the clean channel, to anything between crunch to pure metal on the distorted channel. It's loud and really fat in the tone. I use it a lot on smaller gigs and I've used it on some recordings, too. It's also got an effects loop which is great as I often use a booster and a delay on the solos. This means I can just switch on the loop to increase the volume and add the delay on solos. It's very priceworthy
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
Nocturnal Graves

Post by Nocturnal Graves »

Amp wise the JCM 800's (modified) through a 1960's Marshall 4 x 12 cab was extremely popular and a bench mark for many Thrash bands (Slayer, Metallica etc). Then of course there is the individual additions like power amps, eq's, pedals, pick-ups etc.
darklord

Post by darklord »

Mark Shelton on Manilla Road - Metal:
Ibanez Guitar
Dod Overdrive
Cranked 70s Marshall
lynx

Post by lynx »

Did some bands use regular output humbuckers in the bridge position?

P90s?

----------

What about those funky things on the tailpiece? Besides the usual Kahlers I've seen these things that look like they would retrofit Gibson Flying v's and Explorers. Kind of like the Stetsbar but a little different.
Mythiis

Gear

Post by Mythiis »

I would definitely go for the classic set up of Gibson style humbucker guitar, Ibanez Tube Screamer and Marshall amp, preferably a JMP 2204 or JCM 800 (same amp, the JMP just looks cooler). :wink: From pictures and videos it seems like this was the most typical set up back in the day, and it still works great! I'm working on an old school metal project at the moment were I use a Tube Screamer with my Orange AD30 and Les Paul with very good result. The Orange look, as awesome as it might be, aren't really that metal though... Hehe. But the sound is killer!
I summoned up the living dead, and demons in the skies.
I drank from chalice warm and red, and watched the virgin die.
rev al

Post by rev al »

Hi (new here),

Regarding Ibanez, you have to separate the modern thin necked shred machines from the old classics. 70s Lawsuit models are killer (first Van Halen album) and the Vs are metal gods - Cirith Ungol and Trouble.
As mentioned before, the master volume Marshalls are the bees knees. Also worth trying them with an MXR Distortion +; this was the set up for the early Maiden albums and Angel Witch.

the Distortion + plus is almost the same pedal as the DOD 250 overdrive.
darklord

Re: Gear

Post by darklord »

Mythiis wrote:I would definitely go for the classic set up of Gibson style humbucker guitar, Ibanez Tube Screamer and Marshall amp, preferably a JMP 2204 or JCM 800 (same amp, the JMP just looks cooler). :wink: From pictures and videos it seems like this was the most typical set up back in the day, and it still works great! I'm working on an old school metal project at the moment were I use a Tube Screamer with my Orange AD30 and Les Paul with very good result. The Orange look, as awesome as it might be, aren't really that metal though... Hehe. But the sound is killer!
Yeah, the tubescreamer + old Marshall setup sounds great but I think with a MXR Distortion+ style pedal or a germanium treble booster it sounds even better (like 70s Judas Priest for example).
one bad wheel

Post by one bad wheel »

You can't go wrong with a Marshall 800 and a Les Paul. MXR Distortion + is a great pedal. I had one but someone stole it right out of my house when we were jamming.
In Canada, Traynor makes a great 50 watt combo amp. It's called a Custom Special. Great sounding versatile all tube amp in a small package. You can get a 90 watt version in a head and cab too but it's just way too loud.
350!
VictimeDelExil

Re: 80's bands gear

Post by VictimeDelExil »

Wow, I'm utterly shocked (and more importantly, disappointed) to see this section of the forum is dead.
Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with "necro"-ing old threads here.

Nowadays if you want a truly old school (i.e. for traditional heavy metal) sound on the affordable side - Marshall Origin heads are absolutely fantastic. Not going to give away all my "secrets" but I am using a Fender Stratocaster and a MXR Distortion+ with a 10 band MXR EQ (a la Dave Murray from Iron Maiden) into it. Absolutely fantastic. And using overdrive pedals into a plexi-style head is what many bands did back in the day. I see a lot of people say the Origin "can't" do metal, but those people are typically extreme metal guys, or worse, djent idiots.