early Queensryche sound

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

early Queensryche sound

Post by The Sentinel »

I'm a big fan of the early Queensryche sound like they did on the "Warning" album. There are many bands that sound similiar to that, for example:

LETHAL: Programmed: A true masterpiece IMO. A song like "The Arrival" can't be written twice.

ZIONS ABYSS: Since I got it some weeks ago, I'm completely addicted to it. It doesn't have one dull moment. For example: the middle section of "Running out of time" is something Queensryche only could dream of.

What other bands fit this category of SUPREME OLD QUEENSRYCHE-LIKE US-METAL?
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

A fave German one: UNICORN - "The Legend Returns" MLP! Dead-on early 'rÿche-style Metal, something you don't hear from ze Krauts very often.

HEIR APPARENT obviosly, and HAMMERON.. There's loads of them, but the commercial just ended and I hear The Simpsons calling me.
Levi

Post by Levi »

Maybe SCREAMER(US) qualify for that, not a big fan of Queensryche and the likes myself, but it sounded to me as being somewhere in the same vein.
They only put out one album in 88, entitled Target Earth (which I have for trade) on New Renaissance. Seem to be active again these days.

http://www.myspace.com/screamertargetearth
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Levi wrote:Maybe SCREAMER(US) qualify for that, not a big fan of Queensryche and the likes myself, but it sounded to me as being somewhere in the same vein.
They only put out one album in 88, entitled Target Earth (which I have for trade) on New Renaissance. Seem to be active again these days.

http://www.myspace.com/screamertargetearth
PM sent
Long Live The Loud !!!
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

ESP,Deliverance,many many White metal bands,lethal,omega point,new religion,mercury rising,en force,lazarus,damien steele,reignstorm etc etc
mordred

Post by mordred »

Bah, Mindcrime is the cream of the cake anyway.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Scarlet Rayne, Xcel, Dead Calm and the bands Massofkthulu mentioned.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DMR

Post by DMR »

mordred wrote:Bah, Mindcrime is the cream of the cake anyway.
You got that right!

How come no one mentioned Crimson Glory yet? Too obvious?
Helm

Post by Helm »

I'd say Crimson Glory are on their own separate page due to simply being too good to be considered a copy band of early Queensryche. Also, Heir Apparent are similar to their sound, however they were bands influenced by the same things, around the same scene, got their breaks / lack of at the same time and generally should be considered parallel bands, not one leader, one follower.

Graceful Inheritance for me never sounded too much like early 'sryche to be truthful, but if everybody says it's similar, they must know something I don't. I prefer it to Queensryche up until Rage for Order, where for me Queensryche put out some of their best tracks. Favourite record however is 'Promised Land'. Early Queensryche (Warning EP and first record) were occasionally blindingly brilliant, but the songwriting isn't always there.

The same can't be said for 'Graceful Inheritance'. All killer, no filler.
hload

Post by hload »

ION BRITTON wrote:Scarlet Rayne, Xcel, Dead Calm and the bands Massofkthulu mentioned.
sorry but i disagree on my beloved xcel....i agree with the others....and especially SACRED WARRIOR....
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

hload wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:Scarlet Rayne, Xcel, Dead Calm and the bands Massofkthulu mentioned.
sorry but i disagree on my beloved xcel....i agree with the others....and especially SACRED WARRIOR....
On which thing you disagree about Xcel? I didn't say they were copycats of early Queensryche, but their influence is quite obvious.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Helm wrote: Graceful Inheritance for me never sounded too much like early 'sryche to be truthful,
Neither for me, more close to early Fates Warning material.

sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Apollo Ra?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

sovdat wrote:Apollo Ra?
I was expecting someone to mention them, but no, for me they don't fit the category the thread describes. A few early Q-Ryche elements do exist (especially form the EP), they were not so heavily influenced though.

The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

mordred wrote:Bah, Mindcrime is the cream of the cake anyway.
Which Mindcrime? Or are you referring to "Operation Mindcrime"?
Long Live The Loud !!!