"Run of the mill" albums

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Cochino

"Run of the mill" albums

Post#1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:45 am

I recently came across Flacman's Port only LP "Afterlife", and I can recognize it's just an ok album. Nothing too remarkable or memorable about it, and I certainly wouldn't put it in any sort of top list but for some reason I've been going back to listen to it quite often for the past few days. Something similar happens to me with Savage Thrust's "Eat 'Em Raw". An ok album with nothing too special going on but I also keep coming back to it, probably even more than some classic Thrash albums. And it's not as with other bands or albums that are considered mediocre or forgettable by most, but I love them for personal reasons. These I absolutely recognize as "just ok", and I can't really tell why I enjoy them so much.
Do any of you also have any middle of the road albums that you just keep coming back to, without really knowing why?

bigfootkit

Re: "Run of the mill" albums

Post#2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:48 am

Lol, interesting/amusing topic for a thread.
The one that instantly comes to mind is The Hookers 'Hookers II : Black Visions Of Crimson Wisdom', which i've absolutely loved from the very first time i heard it, despite the fact that i absolutely recognize that there's nothing truly unique or exceptional about the individual songs or the playing.
The order of the songs, the pacing, the dynamics, the production & the mood however just work perfectly for me. There's nothing you could change about any element of that record that would make me enjoy it any more than i already do.
The planets are just perfectly aligned. Lightning captured in a bottle, where the whole is somehow greater than it's individual parts.
There isn't another record in their discography that matches that album in my estimation, (though 'Equinox Beyond Tomorrow' comes close), however i kept right on buying them, (with no regrets), in the hope that one day they might reach that height again, but it wasn't to be.
They'll always have a special place in my (metal) heart though, as it's better to have completely nailed it just once than to have never come close, even if, intellectually, i must accept it's intrinsic 'run of the mill'-ness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnl-HH3 ... HzUYTyyFV2
Last edited by bigfootkit on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.

Cochino

Post#3 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:09 am

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Albums that your brain can detect as derivative, or just middle of the road "just ok" stuff that you've already listened to dozens of times, but still somehow manage to emotionally connect with you in the same way an actually good album does.
Sometimes this might be determined by when you listen to an album. I'm gonna lose everybody on this board with this example, but I was kinda surprised when I found out that Cannibal Corpse's "Gore Obssessed" album was actually considered a weaker one by many people. It was one of the first albums I heard from the band, since it was the newest one at the time, and also one of the first Death Metal albums I've ever listened to, so I loved the shit out of it and still enjoy it a lot to this day but nowadays I can see why people who were actually following the band at the time would be underwhelmed by it since it was pretty much the same they had been doing since the vocalist change. But the lack of context allowed me to judge it "in a vaccum" so to speak, and I really liked the riffs and the tracks on their own merits, so I can still have a good time listening to it nowadays.
However, those albums I mentioned on the first post (Savage Thrust and Flacman's Port), I heard when I already knew better, yet for some reason they still managed to hook me. I'm trying to come up with a couple more examples of my own but most of them actually do have certain idiosyncratic characteristics that you can't really find in any other bands or albums, so I think that even if they're not really appreciated by most people and are hardly classics, they don't quite fit in the same category. Dresden's "Too Many Skeletons" or Bootleg's "W.C. Monster", for instance. I know most people don't particulary care about those, but I'll defend them with tooth and nail as actually great, or at least "unique" albums.

doomedplanet

Post#4 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 pm

No one talks about Entophyte - End of Society's Sanity (1992). Maybe it is average, I don't know. Personally I love it and I can listen to this album I consider a minor masterpiece and really enjoy it every time. Never met anyone else saying that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Z5Q9S ... EhswOpOQoE
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

Cochino

Post#5 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:41 am

doomedplanet wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 pm
No one talks about Entophyte - End of Society's Sanity (1992). Maybe it is average, I don't know. Personally I love it and I can listen to this album I consider a minor masterpiece and really enjoy it every time. Never met anyone else saying that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Z5Q9S ... EhswOpOQoE
Well, this sounds like a rather unique blend of classic Thrash with the 90s alternative trend. Not my thing at all, but if you're into that, I can see why you would like it because I don't think there are many bands that sound like that. They either went one way or the other, but this one seems to walk right down the middle between old school and "modern" 90s Metal.