Wrong Speed Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Zanker

Re: Wrong Speed Metal

Post by Zanker »

Noisenik wrote::lol:

was that in 1982 or later?
1982. We had a small recordshop in my hometown and as i always did some chores for the whole family i got some money so i could buy one the very first days it came out. He couldn't so he begged me to tape it already. I didn't had a stereo of my own back then, so it was taped on my parents deck.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Khnud wrote:Try playing the b-side of Slough Feg:s "Lazer Enforcer" single (a Government Issue cover called "Blending In") on 33 rpm instead of 45. Sounds like a really cool downtempo doomy metal track with a killer guitar tone. On the correct speed it's just bland HC.
I have all Slough Feg records but no 7"s.
But indeed, it was the guitar tone of the Speed Queen that kept me listening.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

What an utterly retarded thread..... :lol:
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

wicked keeper wrote:What an utterly retarded thread..... :lol:
Yes it is! :o
Speedeceiver

Post by Speedeceiver »

Ranger's "Shock Skull" 7" played at 33 sounds like some great death metal. Metallica's Creeping Death 12" single is quite crushing at 33 as well.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Oh good, I was afraid I misunderstood the title of this thread and it was just gonna be about speed metal bands who were really bad and played all wrong. This topic is much more fun!

When I got Witchfynde's 'Lords of Sin' LP with the bonus EP, I didn't realize that the EP was supposed to be played at 45 rpm. 'Moon Magic' sounded pretty fucking cool at 33 rotations per minute.

And then there was the first pressing of the Witchfinder General Live CD, all of which were pressed with the wrong recording speed; again, sounded kinda like 45 slowed down to 33. I actually kept a copy of that version even long after the corrected CDs were available just b/c I thought it sounded kinda cool at the slower speed
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
lynx

Post by lynx »

Hell if I know what the band is because it's not anywhere on the album. The name of the record label was indeed there, but I borrowed the album from someone and I don't have it now.

It was some Finnish doom/sludge, in Finnish. It had some cartoon drawing on the cover.

Sounded tired and lethargic at normal speed. Definitely an improvement at faster speed, I liked it best at around +14% (my turntable can do that).
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

There is actually free soft called Audacity which allows you to change the speed the same way as vinyl (like from 45 rpm to 33 and vise versa). I tried slowing down Sadus Illusions that way and sounds like early Necrophobic :)