Genres You Got Tired Of

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
mordred

Re: Genres You Got Tired Of

Post by mordred »

Dark Angel was a band that slipped through the cracks for me.

I got into thrash (circa year 2000) with the big four, the German elite and the most obvious classic bands half a step behind (Overkill, Exodus etc) and then I moved to gradually more obscure thrash releases. Logically, I should have found Dark Angel around the same time that I found Heathen, Forbiden, Coroner and Sabbat (the stuff between the obvious and the obscure), but somehow I managed to steer clear of them.

I didn't own a Dark Angel album until 2015. I have Darkness Descends, Leave Scars and Time Does Not Heal. They're all good albums, but they will never be part of my DNA like Master of Puppets, Reign in Blood, Agent Orange, Pleasure to Kill, or even History of a Time to Come or Exumer's Possessed by Fire. I'm sure they could have been if I had heard them in 2003. It's interesting sometimes to think of how much it matters when you hear something.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

"We have Arrived" of course will always remain the best Dark Angel album with the rest sort of living in the shadow of perfection. I listened to all their albums in order a few years back after maybe 10 years between listens (exception being "We have Arrived", listen to this one more often) and I found them to stay the distance after all these years. I think they easily live next to the big names.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Noisenik wrote: I consider Fistful Of Metal ... thrash metal.
NO, NO & NO
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Prowler wrote:
Noisenik wrote: I consider Fistful Of Metal ... thrash metal.
NO, NO & NO
hahaha! 2nd!
Back in the day this was considered speedmetal (well, where I was from that is).The difference was more in the vocals part. Thrash was more rougher vocals. Anthrax first album is in my book speed metal, not thrash, not even close. But like I said: maybe this was local and what the magazines tried to categorize even back in the days.
Power metal back then was like HELLOWEEN and the likes and even this was also called speedmetal in some magazines.
I also would never classify METALLICA as thrash. Speedmetal yes and later work as more heavy metal, never thrash.
It's not easy nowadays to categorize metal in general with so many bands/crossovers/influences.
It's to each his own I guess. I think in just two categories: I like it or I don't like it.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I don't consider Fistful of Metal as Thrash but not because of the vocals. There were plenty of Thrash bands with more melodic/classic vocals like that. It's the music itself, mostly the riffing, that makes it sound different than stuff like Ride The Lightning or Haunting The Chapel, which came out the same year. I'd say Anthrax weren't purely Thrash until Among The Living, and coincidentally with what we've been talking in this thread, their non-Thrash material is pretty much the only thing from them that I keep revisiting nowadays.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

"Fistful of Metal" is just powerful Heavy Metal or Power Metal.
The only Metallica Album that partly can be considered Thrash Metal is "Master of puppets". But just half the Songs.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Prowler wrote:"Fistful of Metal" is just powerful Heavy Metal or Power Metal.
The only Metallica Album that partly can be considered Thrash Metal is "Master of puppets". But just half the Songs.
I'd say at least Fight Fire With Fire, Ride The Lightning and Trapped Under Ice can be considered Thrash. Of course, in those early days they were still kind of hybrid but a lot of the genre signatures were already present in those tracks. And which songs of Master of Puppets would you say aren't Thrash?
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Let's stay on topic and not degenerate this thread into a "are Metallica and/or Anthrax really thrash?" competition.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

just listened to Wrath "Nothing to Fear", great thrash from the old days.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

doomedplanet wrote:just listened to Wrath "Nothing to Fear", great thrash from the old days.
I recently checked them out because I saw them mentioned somewhere (maybe it was another post of yours), but I couldn't get past those vocals. 2 songs was all I could take.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Cochino wrote: And which songs of Master of Puppets would you say aren't Thrash?
Leper Messiah, Sanatorium, The Thing that should not be ... etc ... :wink:

Same for me with vocals on all Wrath Albums ... just can't get into them. Solid stuff though
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Khnud wrote:Let's stay on topic and not degenerate this thread into a "are Metallica and/or Anthrax really thrash?" competition.
Lest we summon a certain autistic pedant & serial thread derailer..... :lol:
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Let's not LOL at autism either.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:Let's not LOL at autism either.
I really don't think that was what was happening.
Noisenik wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:
Noisenik wrote:Darkness Descends is a must, even if one stands on eyelashes.
That's an interesting turn of phrase Noisenik & one that i'm unfamiliar with, what does it mean exactly?
Haha, it's a very rough translation of our local/national saying. It would be best described as "to counter or go against something with utilization of all energy one possesses, but usually in vain or with meagre results". Standing on eyelashes is considered as sth impossibly demanding, but certain ppl would perhaps go and try to prove their own. In DD case it means that claiming DD is not a must, is in vain, bcs DD is a must. :D
Thanks for the clarification Noisenik, i get the jist of it now, but can't really think of a comparible English saying.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Definitely has to be Black Metal for me. It was interesting at first, but then everyone was more concerned with being more "true" and posing in the forest. I also realized that the music just didn't seem to have any real "heaviness". There are some exceptions, like Dissection. Notveidt was a guitar GENIUS, as far as I'm concerned. I still fucking LOVE Thrash! Listen to it all the time. I was heavily into late 80's/early 90's Death Metal. Still love it, but, with some rare exceptions, don't like much new stuff.