Genres You Got Tired Of

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Prowler

Re: Genres You Got Tired Of

Post by Prowler »

Calling "Reign in blood" "boring" is a major crime! :D
Razor's later worx are imo boring. There are a few great songs on them but majority lacks of ideas. They are just fast but Viking's debut is fast too and nobody liked it ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

To stay on topic, more or less: the genre that I got tired of or better said that got me tired, is doom in any shape or form, with any pre- or suffix. The most of this subgenre is simply too slow. I need upbeat stuffs, and I only listen to it when countering euphoria, which hasn't happened since whoknowswhen. This goes for 80's, 90's stuff, as well as for modern doom versions, that are especially unbearable.

Many thrash albums from great era I know "par coeur" so there's not much need to listen to them, but I still do from time to time, to re-appreciate their greatness, so to say.

@nightblood: Alan, great you have some affinity for "Frolic Through The Park". It may be somewhat heretical for this forum, LOL. 'Wonder, how do you stand with Suicidal Tendencies of the same era?

@bigfootkit: It's hard to believe that you couldn't obtain "Darkness Descends" on the isles until 1991. But not acquiring album while it's really hot, may actually result in being too late to get into it properly. When one finds more interest in another genre ...

Also, I haven't had any problems with relative brevity some of Reign In Blood tracks, or as a whole. Took it, as it is. Simply one of the "killerest" music stuffs!
Last edited by Noisenik on Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Alan- This early stuff maybe best to call 'power thrash' or something? 'power metal' doesn't work as well as it used to since it also connotates that qimpy stuff that came along in the mid-late 90's. Anyway, this early 'power thrash' or whatever, when life feels a little stale, I can put these early albums and demos on and wash that away....Anyone care to take a stab at making a list of these killing 'power thrash' albums, that don't suck?
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Noisenik wrote:doom in any shape or form
I can totally see this. I feel it went the same way as Thrash in the past 10 years or so when it's just so self-referential and there's so much emphasis on the (lack of) speed and the overall aesthethic rather than the songs themselves to the point where I don't feel any desire to check out any new bands that proclaim themselves as Doom or even Doom/Death which usually just means monotone Death Metal (there aren't many albums like Autopsy's "Mental Funeral", where it's not just about the slowness but actually about the atmosphere and even a lot of the bluesy vibe Doom always had).
The difference for me is that I never really got into it too far beyond the classic bands (Sabbath/Saint Vitus/Pentagram/Trouble), and even in those I mostly listen to a couple of albums by each band. I never got into Wino era Vitus, for instance, since I found it much more derivative from the Doom clichés than the Reagers era. So I wouldn't qualify it as being tired of it, because I simply was never overexposed to it but I think it's a genre with a very limited scope that does get old too fast.
mordred

Post by mordred »

bobo wrote: It's also pity that majority of thrash fans in the 80's chose to listen to boring Reign in Blood or South of Heaven instead of killer Violent Restitution.
bobo wrote:On Reign in blood only two songs I find interesting. Everything else is unfinished to me. I'm not a fan of 1.33 minutes songs.
It's understandable that you're not a fan of the short songs on Reign in Blood if you're more the kind of guy who enjoys Violent Restitution with all its multi-layered, winding 8-minute+ epcis. 8)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
bobo

Post by bobo »

mordred wrote:
bobo wrote: It's also pity that majority of thrash fans in the 80's chose to listen to boring Reign in Blood or South of Heaven instead of killer Violent Restitution.
bobo wrote:On Reign in blood only two songs I find interesting. Everything else is unfinished to me. I'm not a fan of 1.33 minutes songs.
It's understandable that you're not a fan of the short songs on Reign in Blood if you're more the kind of guy who enjoys Violent Restitution with all its multi-layered, winding 8-minute+ epcis. 8)

Well, Violent Restitution songs are longer than 1.33 :lol:
But, it's not just the length of the songs, quality is the reason why I think that V. Restitution is better. On V. Restitution songs are better, much better.
Razor is so underrated and in late 80, they wiped the floor with Slayer.
Last edited by bobo on Mon May 21, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

doomedplanet wrote:Still good underground thrash to be enjoyed here. Was listening to Azrael "Television Slave" last night and simply enjoyed the hell out of it.
I can put on The Overkill demo and 1st 12" on at any time and will love them to the grave.
1st Exodus is simply timeless and fresh every time I hear it.
Listened to both Blessed Death albums recently found them to still be stong and powerful.
Is 1st Anthrax thrash? Because I can listen to that any time.
Tankard "zombie attack" might be by some a step down by some but that one is sort of etched into into my DNA.
Stone Vengeance early stuff I released is another underrated gem to me, just fantastic raw thrash I can enjoy just about any time.
Darkness Descends is in a little pile of records I keep right next to my stereo setup, I use it as a reference standard, along with. The 1st Exciter record any time I make a change to my system.

Quite a lot of deaththrash favorites to I could really get into.
'Agree with first sentence to certain extent.

I consider Fistful Of Metal and Feel The Fire thrash metal. I did so when I first heard them in 1990 and am not changing that. If other mh's don't consider them thrash metal, it's OK with me. Both albums are indeed more melodic, not pounding enough, but they possess enough of intensity that came from hardcore punk. These intensity is what sets them apart from say, Walls Of Jericho or even Skeptics Apocalypse, although the later can come quite close.

Nice to hear you like BLESSED DEATH and Zombie Attack.

Darkness Descends is a must, even if one stands on eyelashes.

'Agree with last sentence, too.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote:Darkness Descends is a must, even if one stands on eyelashes.
That's an interesting turn of phrase Noisenik & one that i'm unfamiliar with, what does it mean exactly?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote:
Noisenik wrote:Darkness Descends is a must, even if one stands on eyelashes.
That's an interesting turn of phrase Noisenik & one that i'm unfamiliar with, what does it mean exactly?
Haha, it's a very rough translation of our local/national saying. It would be best described as "to counter or go against something with utilization of all energy one possesses, but usually in vain or with meagre results". Standing on eyelashes is considered as sth impossibly demanding, but certain ppl would perhaps go and try to prove their own. In DD case it means that claiming DD is not a must, is in vain, bcs DD is a must. :D
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, I must have some pretty strong eyelashes because I'm gonna take this chance and come out as probably the only guy who could never really get into Dark Angel. I appreciate the overall sound of the band, but everytime I tried to get into them I got nothing but a heap of riffs without any discernable shape that I could get a grasp on. Maybe someday it'll click, as it has happened with many other bands in the past.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Haha, kewl! You see, these are differences that make us going. DD I acquired in Oct/Nov 1990. Three full spins and we were "married". Brutal and mostly fast thrash songs like title, Merciless Death, Hunger Of The Undead, Black Prophecies, were indispensable even when I moved onto death and then black metal. But read this. Half a year later I bought Leave Scars, and lookie there, I couldn't get into it, no matter how I tried. 16 tons thrash, a little slower, but with a different, even heavier sound, lyrics brimming with words my then english dictionary hasn't heard for. A wall. Inpenetrable to actually reap much of enjoyment, save from "Never To Rise Again" and "Immigrant Song". Eventually I decided to sell it off. I rebought it 2006 and it fits onto my synapses like butter on bread. Gigantic album. But, it took 15 years. As you said, it may click one day.
Cochino wrote:Well, I must have some pretty strong eyelashes because I'm gonna take this chance and come out as probably the only guy who could never really get into Dark Angel. I appreciate the overall sound of the band, but everytime I tried to get into them I got nothing but a heap of riffs without any discernable shape that I could get a grasp on. Maybe someday it'll click, as it has happened with many other bands in the past.
bobo

Post by bobo »

Noisenik wrote:Haha, kewl! You see, these are differences that make us going. DD I acquired in Oct/Nov 1990. Three full spins and we were "married". Brutal and mostly fast thrash songs like title, Merciless Death, Hunger Of The Undead, Black Prophecies, were indispensable even when I moved onto death and then black metal. But read this. Half a year later I bought Leave Scars, and lookie there, I couldn't get into it, no matter how I tried. 16 tons thrash, a little slower, but with a different, even heavier sound, lyrics brimming with words my then english dictionary hasn't heard for. A wall. Inpenetrable to actually reap much of enjoyment, save from "Never To Rise Again" and "Immigrant Song". Eventually I decided to sell it off. I rebought it 2006 and it fits onto my synapses like butter on bread. Gigantic album. But, it took 15 years. As you said, it may click one day.
Cochino wrote:Well, I must have some pretty strong eyelashes because I'm gonna take this chance and come out as probably the only guy who could never really get into Dark Angel. I appreciate the overall sound of the band, but everytime I tried to get into them I got nothing but a heap of riffs without any discernable shape that I could get a grasp on. Maybe someday it'll click, as it has happened with many other bands in the past.
Noisenik, did you try with Time does not heal? How did you go with that one?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Dark Angel are on of the few long running bands I like all eras, from the Shellshock demo days all the way to Time Does Not Heal.

And they also go down in my "Hall of Fame" as the loudest band I have ever seen live. Even with wearing earplugs through their entire set on their final tour, my ears rang for something like 3 days after...
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

The thing about Dark Angel is that it seems to be much bigger for people who were there at the time. There weren't many bands that sounded like that at the time so by sheer intensity they earned a place in the Thrash landscape. But I wasn't even born when Darkness Descends came out so when I approach any of these kinda records, I do it from a different perspective than those who were there. Most of the time, songwriting is the key element that makes me pick up a band, and I think that's where Dark Angel falters. To me, it just feels like they just throw a shitload of riffs one after the other and call it a song.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bobo wrote:Noisenik, did you try with Time does not heal? How did you go with that one?
In fact, pretty good. I found it a tad more accessible (than its predecessor), if this is right word, LOL. I first heard A Subtle Induction on national radio HM show a few months after release, and it blew me away immediately with initial combination of extreme high extreme low notes riff, followed by usual fullspeed attack. It's the shortest track, though. Within summer (or was it early autumn?) I read the news that they were kicked from the label (Combat /Relativity) along with Nuclear Assault and Heathen, which I deemed extremely unfair. They also split at the same time. I believe I acquired whole album in spring '92 and was satisfied to hear the whole. Tracks were/are really long, and they can indeed be repetitive, but if one likes their sound like I do, this can actually be pretty rewarding. You cannot complain about brevity here, :). Today I find LS more rewarding, but TDNH doesn't lag that much behind. And would love to see/hear its follow-up.