Genres You Got Tired Of

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Cochino

Re: Genres You Got Tired Of

Post by Cochino »

Well, this thread has led me to revisit some old Thrash albums I had abandoned as well as checking out some "new" stuff, to see if it rekindled the flame. I got mixed results, which I'll share briefly:

Gothic Slam - Killer Instinct: I know I had heard them in the past but I didn't remember anything about them and I can tell why. I guess they're ok but I don't see any reason why I should listen to them again.

Risk - The Daily Horror News: That godawful cover made me curious to check them out. Pretty much the same as with Gothic Slam. They're fine but there's so much better stuff out there. (This one also made me think it'd be cool to have a METAL WARNING thread, opposite to the one with non-Metal covers that look Metal in order to point out Metal albums that don't look like Metal at all).

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends: Sadly, I feel exactly the same as before. Lots of riffs and lots of attitude but no good songwriting to keep it all together.

Sadus - Illusions/Chemical Exposure: The opposite from Darkness Descends. I was in a similar situation with Sadus as with Dark Angel, as I was never able to get into them. This time however, something clicked and I quite enjoyed this album. I'm gonna listen to it a few more times for sure.

Forbidden - Forbidden Evil: I might've enjoyed it even more than I did back in the day. Some filler here and there but overall great.

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare: This was one of my favorites back in the day, and I used to listen to it all the time but for some reason I stopped doing it and hadn't listened to it in many years. I kinda had the opposite experience from Forbidden though. While I kinda enjoyed all those riffs coming back to memory and the songs are pretty good and filled with hooks, it's not really the stuff I'm into these days.

Anthrax - Persistence Of Time: For many years, the only Anthrax album I've been listening to is Fistful Of Metal, but upon listening to all these Thrash albums in the past few days I felt like listening to this one again and I quite liked it, despite some pretty cringey lyrics. I think it's pretty underrated within their discography. It's funny that the one song that kinda feels like it doesn't belong in the album was actually the big "hit" from it (Got The Time).
nightsblood

Re: Genres You Got Tired Of

Post by nightsblood »

Re: Dark Angel:
I never really got into them either, I always thought of them as a second rate Thrash act. But to be fair I probably only heard DD and WHA a couple of time each. I think the only album I ever owned was 'Time Does Not Heal', and I got it at a point where I was sorta overloaded on thrash, so it never got the attention it might've deserved. So while my knee-jerk reaction is to say I don't like them, I don't have a really good reason for saying that.

Re: Black Metal:I agree with the sentiments overall; had some very interesting ideas in the early 90s, but devolved into tier-two clones pretty quickly. That said, new bands do catch my attention from time to time. This week I've been playing Batushka, Akhlys, and Mgla quite a bit.
Black Metal really waxes and wanes with me; I'll be into it for awhile, then ignore it for a long stretch, then get back into it, etc.

Re: Persistence of Time
I always liked that one too, though it's too long for its own good. I never could get into the goofy Anthrax stuff too much, so 'State of Euphooria' did nothing for me. But I liked PoT, and it aged reasonably well; better than many of its contemporaries. It's not a masterpiece, but probably the best of their later albums.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky