Unknown NWOBHM-singles?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
boris

Post by boris »

There was an 8 song demo by SR, and both songs from Tempest are on the demo I think. If anyone needs it I have it on CDR, can burn it for anyone. Got the SR 7'' for free I think, was a nice gift indeed :)

Valhalla was listed for $666, that's correct. I wouldn't rate it for more than $100 I guess. Just let 5-6 copies out on ebay and watch the prices drop.

As for Vagabond, an amazing 7'' indeed, very rare too.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Boris wrote:There was an 8 song demo by SR, and both songs from Tempest are on the demo I think. If anyone needs it I have it on CDR, can burn it for anyone. Got the SR 7'' for free I think, was a nice gift indeed :)
No, only the title track is on the demo.
boris

Post by boris »

If anyone's interested in more discoveries in this field, I've made a few (for myself anyway ...) - DNA, Buzz, Track 4, Fixer, Electric Voyage, NATO, Squeeler, Angel Street, Crazy Blaze, Helter Skelter, Night Games, Redwood, Sean Wright (International Heroes), Stampede (2).
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Very interesting! Any details about those would be appreciated. i've heard a couple of the names (e.g., Angel Street) but i don't think I've heard music by any of those bands
boris

Post by boris »

Well they're all pretty standart, nothing too special. The better ones are - Redwood, Night Games, Angel Street, Crazy Blaze, Sean Wright. No pure heavy metal here though. Mostly hard rock, some punk influenced. I'll see if I have time to upload something (hope I won't forget ...)
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

I'd love to hear some of them. Any heavy rock among them?
baytree

Post by baytree »

I have mp3s of the stuff Boris is talking about. I also - not surprisingly - have many of the original records for sale. If you'd like to hear (or even maybe buy!) something, send me a mail through the lowdownkids website (don't bother looking through the sales lists online - almost none ofthe NWOBHM-ish stuff is listed there).

My favourite (today) of the ones Boris mentions is possibly Lady Jane.

Cheers,
Steve
boris

Post by boris »

And thanks to you Steve I'm going to have one. The one with the flyer that is mate, let money be spended ! expect an email ....
boris

Post by boris »

By the way - anyone ever heard of SHOKKWAVE ?????? Very high on the to-hear list !
tearitup1234

Post by tearitup1234 »

I've heard of this one as well, the titles of the track I think are "Back Street Bitch and Subway Sinner". This one is also at the top of my NWOBHM to hear list. Would love to check this one out.
tearitup1234

Post by tearitup1234 »

boris wrote:Well they're all pretty standart, nothing too special. The better ones are - Redwood, Night Games, Angel Street, Crazy Blaze, Sean Wright. No pure heavy metal here though. Mostly hard rock, some punk influenced. I'll see if I have time to upload something (hope I won't forget ...)
I'd love to check out the Crazy Blaze one, been looking for that one for a while.
Keir

Post by Keir »

One band that I've heard described as NWOBHM in a couple places and is not listed in Malc's book is the Welsh band Rohan. However, I recently bought their "Mil O Fastiau" single and it sounds more like indie rock to me.
steelegacy

Post by steelegacy »

i am very interested to hear some bands you are mentioning here as great bands...Concerning FIREBIRD is one of my fave unknown nwobhm bands,not very heavy stuff but there is that epic doomy feeling there that captures..i have seen that single with different sleeve,although you mostly find that with no sleeve,which is a sleeve with the lyrics of both songs if i remember well written.i would love to have that one.
I also remember another unknown NWOBHM sigle which i have seen with my own eyes from one visit i had in Mac millan"s house.He had shown me many singles i dint know,but most of them did not seem very promising,but the one i was stuck when i heard was a band called NIGHTRIDER ,if i remember well..and it was pressed in 1979!!!!dont be fooled by the year,they reminded me Sweet Savage from the "eye of the storm" era..
Please post more and download any of tghose you have mentioned.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

That Firebird single is pretty cool; you're right that it has a cool atmosphere that makes up for it not being overly heavy. I think most copies came without a sleeve, though some had that weird sleeve showing a woman's body with a mouse's head on it (or something weird like that).

Never heard of the Nightrider single but from your description it sounds very promising.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
steelegacy

Post by steelegacy »

Yes, i saw that Firebird cover sleeve you mentioned,but Malc had shown me this cover with the lyrics written on it.Was it the inner sleeve???i remember that he told me that it was another cover sleeve for that single.