Unknown NWOBHM-singles?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Unknown NWOBHM-singles?

Post by DaN »

...the definition of 'unknown' being not mentioned in Malc's encyclopedia. Who here has recordings/titles/pix/originals of NWOBHM-ep's so bloody rare they don't seem to be mentioned anywhere? Just by chance I came upon a second AXIS (3rd if you count the demo act) at Metal Archives that looks awesome. For some reason the direct link won't work, so you'll have to use the search function. I'm ofcourse referring to the one w/ the red cover. Anyone heard it?

GYPSY is a band who's 7" has been rather well circulated by now (someone found a whole box of them). It's pretty standard HR/HM, nothing special, but at least it's not pub rock, aor or some other borderline crap. Pic here.

I've also heard of a 2nd HOLOCAUST who released a 12", and the unknown debut 7" by TOBRUK, which is supposed to be much heavier than their later stuff.
Keir

Re: Unknown NWOBHM-singles?

Post by Keir »

DaN wrote:...the definition of 'unknown' being not mentioned in Malc's encyclopedia. Who here has recordings/titles/pix/originals of NWOBHM-ep's so bloody rare they don't seem to be mentioned anywhere? Just by chance I came upon a second AXIS (3rd if you count the demo act) at Metal Archives that looks awesome. For some reason the direct link won't work, so you'll have to use the search function. I'm ofcourse referring to the one w/ the red cover. Anyone heard it?
That looks pretty cool, though I'm doubtful of the metal content with songs like "When You Hold Me" and "Galaxy of Love"! It's a shame some idiot added the singles by the other Axis to the band's entry.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Well, those kind of songtitles could actually surprise you in the early 80's and the cover art looks totally Metal, so I'm crossing my fingers...

These look pretty interesting as well:

DELUGE

FIREBIRD

FOUNDED

TEMPEST

TORNADO WARNING

Someone at Miskatonic claimed there were about 100 bands/releases not included in that book, dozens of them being bona-fide Metal. Sounds too good to be true if you ask me, but nothing's impossible when it comes to metallic archeology I guess.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I have heard FOUNDED and FIREBIRD. Not the heavy stuff i was expecting to hear. They should have tried more. A 7" from the UK coming from the 80's doesn't necessarily mean that is heavy metal...

The date of release of the other bands' 7" stinks if you know what i mean.

Be careful with all that supposed to be NWOBHM singles. Listen first/pay then is my advice.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Thanx for the warning. TEMPEST still looks like something worth checking out, even if it's from '85. Great title!
Keir

Post by Keir »

FIREBIRD is listed in Martin Popoff's NWOBHM guide and he has this to say:
Popoff wrote:Keyboardy white metal (Christian) band produced by Ian Gillan at his own Kingway studio. B-side is called Nightride. Apparently only 50 pressed. Issued in picture sleeve. Quite hilarious actually, Change pulsating to full-on church organ and the most amusing vocal mumble, before picking up a head of sticky, claustrophobic steam, church organ dreadfully intact. Nightride features more of the same Sunday morning keyboard work, over a poppy ballad that might have been salvaged into something useful at the hands of another band, preferably a new wave one from Manchester. It too has a fast bit, which I suppose is why anybody at all calls this NWOBHM.
Of the others you listed, only FOUNDED's single is in Popoff's book and I won't bother transcribing it because you can hear samples for yourself at their website. I personally would not consider their single NWOBHM, however, there's a non-single track "HA Division" you can download that definitely fits the genre, and is quite good actually.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I have Martin Popoff's metal guide to nWOBHM singles 78-84 maybe there are there singles that you don't know or what...
boris

Post by boris »

Sorry for bumping this one, but there's a shitload of bands that are worth mentioning here and that most people are sadly unaware of ...

First of all is the incredibly rare and fucking unbelievably incredible STEVE CROWTHER BAND with their only 7'' Red Herring from 1982. One of top 10 nwobhm singles for me, just astounding. Leaves Deep Switch way way behind.

Then there's the BASELINE 7'' Suspended Animation, though it has punk elements in it, it's still considered nwobhm and is a great single.

MOSELLE can go as Hard Rock, but the a side (I think it's the a side) is an incredible song, I think it's called Rock Anthem.

Another band is DOGGIE OZWALD with nothing really special in their 7''. They've later evolved into some successful Status Quo tribute act.

There's SWEET REVENGE from Ireland who had two singles out, one of them, Hawks of Cairo has one of the best songs the nwobhm had to offer. An incredible tune !

The other VENOM, by whom I've only heard an incredible acoustic track.

STRIKER BLUE, maybe it's blues-rock, maybe it's pub rock, but it is fucking great !!!

JEVUTSHTA (hope that's the way you spell it) - nothing really special there, but nice and incredibly rare.

ARKITEX - pre-STARVATION ARMY. Both unknown nwobhm as well, pretty mediocre if I remember well.

SCHARNHORST - mediocre as well.

SPITEFUL CHILD - had two singles, both on the Clubland label I think. One of them had a great a side, Voices in the Night.

KAY RUSSIA - don't really remember that one.

SPOONFULL - pre-Shywolf, stupendously rare. Some see it as some early doom single or whatever, but it's just great solid hard rock on the a side, 70's style, and a weak b side.

TWICE SHY - crap a side, and a fucking great bluesy hard rock b side. counts as nwobhm in my book.

That's what I remember right now. Lots more out there !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Bumping of old, important threads is highly encouraged - thanx a lot for the info there, Boris - and welcome to the board!

Have you heard the 2nd HOLOCAUST, TEMPEST and the TOBRUK debut? I'm still curious about these.

...and ofcourse plenty of these super-rarities are bound to be crap - I guess that's the main reason why they were buried & forgotten in the first case - but Metal Archeology has always involved wading through rivers of garbage to find those Hallowed Metal Gems.
boris

Post by boris »

Dan, TEMPEST is in fact SMOKIN' ROADIE with a new name. I think both tracks are on the SMOKIN' ROADIE 8 track demo which I suppose you already have. Need to chack that out to confirm. Duon't know about TOBRUK and HOLOCAUST, can check it out though.

But yes, among the crap you can find real gems. SWEET REVENGE and the STEVE CROWTHER BAND are such. absolutely incredible singles. Lucky I grabbed the last available copy of S.C.B. from some minimal stock my friend had. Had to trade it for a signed Arc 7'' ...
boris

Post by boris »

DaN wrote: Have you heard the 2nd HOLOCAUST, TEMPEST and the TOBRUK debut? I'm still curious about these.
HOLOCAUST - an ultra obscure band from the south of England, had only a test pressing 12'', handful of copies in existence. It costs more than $2000 and the only copy I know of was heard by a couple of mega collectors and by Malc only through the phone (!!!) it's described as classic early NWOBHM and the tracks are Slay the Dragon, Lawyer, So Called Civilised Way. Whoever gets me at least mp3's of these, will receive some very, very exclusive and killer stuff in return.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

DaN wrote:...the definition of 'unknown' being not mentioned in Malc's encyclopedia.
Sorry for offtopic, but what's that encyclopedia? I didn't find that with Google.
boris

Post by boris »

The Knell wrote:
DaN wrote:...the definition of 'unknown' being not mentioned in Malc's encyclopedia.
Sorry for offtopic, but what's that encyclopedia? I didn't find that with Google.
a book by Malc McMillan (one of top 5 nwobhm collectors) about the NWOBHM, it has about 500 bands who released anything on vinyl, and now he's working (for too long now) on the new edition to include about a 100 new discoveries and hopefully more demo bands.

That's the only guide for NWOBHM we have, not counting Popoff's idiotic crap book.
Dawnwatcher

Post by Dawnwatcher »

Boris wrote:That's the only guide for NWOBHM we have, not counting Popoff's idiotic crap book.
Yeah... I have Popoff's too. Nothing good, really. I don't even know where I have it, haha. It's nothing to buy since Malc's book is maybe 1000 times better.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Interesting! I will search if I can get one of Malc McMillan's books here in Germany.