Time-Travelling Discography Manipulators

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Time-Travelling Discography Manipulators

Post by nightsblood »

In the VS thread, I created a hypothesis that someone had travelled back in time and rearranged the order in which the VS albums were released just to cause confusion b/c time travel is the only way to explain why they released an epic metal album in 1985 followed by a half epic/half rock album in 1988 followed by an 80s rock album in 1993. The obvious order, on the original timeline, was to release the 80s album in '85, then do the half 80s album/half epic album in '88, and then the fully epic album in '93, followed by several more epic albums in the 90s-00s. Bigfootkit pointed out that many other bands may also have fallen prey to such time-travel shenanigans.

So what other bands have had their discographies altered by time-travelling discography manipulators?

One possibility: I've never understood how Iggy Pop came up with 'Raw Power' in 1973. NOTHING else from the early '70s sounds like that. Neither of his rprevious STOOGES albums are akin to it. Maybe Iggy was just 5+ years ahead of his time..... or maybe someone went back in time and messed with his discography.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
malegys

Re: Time-Travelling Discography Manipulators

Post by malegys »

There's lots of examples of "accidental" hardrock, metal, punk & hardcore by bands/artists that were WAAAY ahead of their time & it's a fascinating side of musical history. The one that keeps taking the cake for me is the 1972 track by Belgian band BLAST & their song "Damned flame". Ok, to sound a bit like the Stooges in 1972 is pretty cool, but to add a D-beat to it all? Holy timewarp, Batman!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HCh7JMQ3g
"Do you like Wenom?"
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

malegys wrote:There's lots of examples of "accidental" hardrock, metal, punk & hardcore by bands/artists that were WAAAY ahead of their time & it's a fascinating side of musical history. The one that keeps taking the cake for me is the 1972 track by Belgian band BLAST & their song "Damned flame". Ok, to sound a bit like the Stooges in 1972 is pretty cool, but to add a D-beat to it all? Holy timewarp, Batman!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HCh7JMQ3g
Yup, and for once, both sides of that Blast record are really good, but wasn't it actually released in '74?
I'd also like to know how Sound Of Imker stumbled across Lemmy's bass sound in 1969, whilst Lem was still trying to pass himself off as a guitarist:

[youtube]QFvDOZ52ZrY[/youtube]

On the wider topic of Timetravelling Discography Manipulators, (hereafter to be called TDMs), the existence of those sneaky otherworldly interdimensional gremlins would certainly help explain some of the anomalies in the 90's/'00s W.A.S.P. & Riot back catalogues.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

He, interresting concept... First example that come up in my mind is how "No Mans Land" (1984) by HOLOCAUST sound so much like a the-NWOBHM-hasn't-quite-started-yet Hard Rock demo/album debut of '79, while "The Nightcomers" (1981) sound like the Refined Heavy Metal Follow-Up. It's like if Anvil would have made "Metal On Metal" 3 years before "Hard'n'Heavy" or Priest "Sad Wings Of Destiny" 3 year prior to "Rocka Rolla". I definitely see wheel-tracks of a DeLorean there...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Good examples, the case for TDM's grows!

Wow, that Blast song is crazy for '72 OR '74!

Good calls on HOLOCAUST and RIOT. The 'reversion' on 'No Mans Land' always threw me for a loop. It was one of the first NWOBHM LPs I bought. I couldn't find 'Nightcomers' but hey, this should be really good too, right? Uh.......

Re: WASP, I never could make heads or tails of their changes over the years. I never got into the first wave of their albums but I liked the late 80s-90s 'darker' albums a lot ('Headless Children', 'Crimson Idol', 'Still Not Black Enough' and even 'KFD'.). But after that things got weird, from the goofiness of 'Helldorado' to the 'uh, didn't you already tell this story, and tell it better, and tell it in half the time?' of 'Neon God' pts 1-2, to what the heck ever came in-between. Bottom line: WASP is one of those bands where I feel like I better just listen to each record to see for myself whether it's any good, and it's gonna be a coin flip every time.

I don't think 'No Prayer for the Dying' is in the correct slot of the 'MAIDEN discography, but then again, there may not be a good slot for that record in their discography!
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I'm sure you could also make a pretty convincing case for other-worldly meddling in the VOIVOD back catalogue, and i'd go into it at greater length, but the mere thought of attempting to put their albums in their 'correct' order just made me want to lie down in a darkened room.
If anybody else wants to try & arrange their catalogue in their logical order of progression, by all means, have at it.
It's definitely a task for a younger fella than i.
Incidentally, you should give Away a shout to see if he'll do the cover art for the novelizations of the 'Time-Travelling Discography Manipulators' chronicles. It sounds so much like a 'Vod concept that it seems only right & fair to give him first crack at it. :D
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.