Greek Heavy Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Priamos

Re: Greek Heavy Metal?

Post by Priamos »

nightsblood wrote:
The big exception for me is the CROSSWIND demos (Opposing Forces/Beyond). While they are very similar to a lot of other power/speed bands, the demos actually do capture the same aggressive punch as their predecessors (think Steel Assassin meets the fastest Gamma Ray material).
Damn! This reference is an indication of exceptional taste.Being a devoted fan of the local scene myself, I can't understand why you can't appreciate some other stuff too. OK, I can see some objective flaws in our scene that could discourage the outsiders but I think there are more bands that have what it takes to stand out. Tell me some of your favorited genres to give some more targeted recommendations.

How about Agatus? They have recently released one of the best Greek metal albums of all time. A combination of black metal, traditional metal, gothic metal, 70s hard rock etc that was praised by a wide range of fans:
[youtube]QoJp18OcCU8[/youtube]
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Thanatos Inc.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Priamos wrote:
nightsblood wrote:
The big exception for me is the CROSSWIND demos (Opposing Forces/Beyond). While they are very similar to a lot of other power/speed bands, the demos actually do capture the same aggressive punch as their predecessors (think Steel Assassin meets the fastest Gamma Ray material).
Damn! This reference is an indication of exceptional taste.Being a devoted fan of the local scene myself, I can't understand why you can't appreciate some other stuff too. OK, I can see some objective flaws in our scene that could discourage the outsiders but I think there are more bands that have what it takes to stand out. Tell me some of your favorited genres to give some more targeted recommendations.

How about Agatus? They have recently released one of the best Greek metal albums of all time. A combination of black metal, traditional metal, gothic metal, 70s hard rock etc that was praised by a wide range of fans:
[youtube]QoJp18OcCU8[/youtube]
Sorry to knock the whole scene, I'm sure there are more Greek releases I'd like that I just haven't encountered yet. So many bands, so little time.
The thing that's weird is that many of the Greek bands I've heard are good musicians and they play styles of metal I like; they jus seem to lack that "it factor" that puts some bands over the top.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

A review of Condemnation - Entering the Gates of Doom has been added. Quite an underrated Greek release in my book. Check it out on youtube if you haven't heard it before.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The old Made In Greece compilation has been added to the Compilopedia.

Who's got more info on the old Greek band FOXES? Seems like they should have been one of the first real Heavy Metal bands in the country. Any connections to later bands? More recordings?

Here's the 2 FOXES songs from the comp:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0m56rj39 ... s.rar/file

...and I could really use a better scan of the sleeve. Mine's all mouldy :(
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I just wanted to add that Kingdom of the Kings is one the best albums I've discovered in the past few years. You can play it as many times as you want and it never gets old, you just keep changing your favorite track with every few plays, like it happens with all great records.
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

DaN wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 am The old Made In Greece compilation has been added to the Compilopedia.

Who's got more info on the old Greek band FOXES? Seems like they should have been one of the first real Heavy Metal bands in the country. Any connections to later bands? More recordings?

Here's the 2 FOXES songs from the comp:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0m56rj39 ... s.rar/file

...and I could really use a better scan of the sleeve. Mine's all mouldy :(
Foxes were the first ''official'' band for legendary guitarists Elias Longinides of Spitfire fame and Tony Contaxakis of Douglas fame. No other recording under this lineup is known. Tony is one of the most respected and sought after guitarists in Greece who has cooperated with household -but commercial- names, his passion though is Hard Rock. Agreed with your review Dan.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Thanx a lot for the info! Page updated.

Yeah, I figured people behind something so groundbreaking wouldn't have disappeared into complete obscurity...
Spinal

Post by Spinal »

Regarding FOXES. I'm sure you're aware of it already, but the FOXES-track "I'm Free Now" later re-appeared on the DOUGLAS Baba O'Riley EP. I think it was used in a movie soundtrack as well, but can't remember the name of the movie right now.

Great song!