Open Fire

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Chafe

Open Fire

Post by Chafe »

I'm opening this topic to discuss and ask for any information about one of my favorite underground heavy metal bands: Open Fire.
In Metal-Archives, besides the "official" releases, Lwy Ognia and Metalmania, there's two listed demos and one listed live, plus another demo mentioned from '86.

So far I've listened to:
- Lwy Ognia CD and MetalMania '87 Split (both oficial releases).
- The unlisted 86 demo, which I guess it is because it includes the track Nowy Dzien, which is in the listed 86 demo, but it also includes Widmowy Władca, which isn't. It also includes Metal Top 20, which I assume comes from the 88 demo since it's length and the listed one are the same.
- Both tracks from MetalMania '89: Rzym 64r P.n.e. from the 12" and Nikt Nie Żyje Wiecznie from the Tape.
- A suppossed two track '85 demo that I downloaded from Soulseek, it sounds like the same vocalist, but it's probably a different band previous to Open Fire (Biały Kruk).

And finally an mp3 that I've had for years, thinking it was the '87 unreleased album, but it might be an speeded up version of the '88 Demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnPiZUI6jHo), and this is where the discussion begins. From what is listed in Metallum, the '88 Demo is something different from the '87 album, tracklist is the same, but track lenghts are different, and the previously mentioned Metal Top 20 that I have in the supossed 86 demo sounds different from the one in Lwy Ognia CD, and it's the same lenght that the one listed in the '88 demo, and it sounds just a little bit slower than the one "speeded up" one that I've had for years ('88 Demo is 2:42, Speeded Up Demo'88 is 2:33). I still haven't tried to slow down the mp3 I've had to match the lenghts from the listed 88 demo, but I'm planning on doing it soon to check if it's the same version that I already have.

Hope some of you might know a little bit more about this, there's is no information to be found of the band besides what is on M-A, and this is something that has been bugging me since the release of the Lwy Ognia CD in 2013.

Also, if somebody has the '88 Demo, the other '86 Demo or the Live in Jaworzyna '89 Demo, please upload and share them, I've wanted to listen to that material since I knew of their existence.
If anybody wants me to upload the '86 demo, I can do it and post it here (it's on 192KBPS, I could upload it to Mega or Mediafire and post it on Poisonoise). Also if anyone wants it, I can upload both Metal Top 20 that belong to the '88 demo (original and speeded up) to confirm the comparison that I mentioned before.

Haven't posted in a long time in here, but The Corroseum have always been the final answer for underground Heavy Metal stuff, and this is definitely the case. Hope anybody can help me with anything mentioned here.
Herkus Monte

Re: Open Fire

Post by Herkus Monte »

Chafe wrote:
Also, if somebody has the '88 Demo, the other '86 Demo or the Live in Jaworzyna '89 Demo, please upload and share them, I've wanted to listen to that material since I knew of their existence.
So that demo from 89 cannot be found online?
Not that I care at all as I read an interview with a band member several years ago in which he said by that time they had switched to technical thrash in the vein of Megadeth or something like this and that sounds completely not interesting to me.
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

Herkus Monte wrote:So that demo from 89 cannot be found online?
Not that I care at all as I read an interview with a band member several years ago in which he said by that time they had switched to technical thrash in the vein of Megadeth or something like this and that sounds completely not interesting to me.
I haven't been able to find it, but there's two tracks from 89 on the internet:

Nikt Nie Zyje Wiecznie - from the MetalMania 89 Tape
[youtube]AlxDZxmLhBA[/youtube]

Rzym - from the MetalMania 89 12"
[youtube]vlfOR9Q4ORQ[/youtube]

Rzym is kinda boring, maybe part of that change of style that you read about. On the other hand the track from the tape is great, not as fantastic as their Lwy Ognia tracks, but still, really good.

Also, is there any chance that you could find that interview again?
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

Chafe wrote:
Herkus Monte wrote:So that demo from 89 cannot be found online?
I haven't been able to find it, but there's two tracks from 89 on the internet:

Nikt Nie Zyje Wiecznie - from the MetalMania 89 Tape
[youtube]AlxDZxmLhBA[/youtube]

Rzym - from the MetalMania 89 12"
[youtube]vlfOR9Q4ORQ[/youtube]

Rzym is kinda boring, maybe part of that change of style that you read about. On the other hand the track from the tape is great, not as fantastic as their Lwy Ognia tracks, but still, really good.

Also, is there any chance that you could find that interview again?
http://wolfish-kingdom.blogspot.com/201 ... -fire.html

Only in Polish, obviously, originally published in Heavy Metal Pages mag.

Yeah, Rzym is a boring, soulless piece of music, not unlike a lot of thrash released around 1989. Actually now I recall that around 2009 I talked to a guy who had heard that live demo and said that Open Fire had taken on yet a different style . Maybe something "alternative"? But definitely it can't have been classic heavy/speed metal so I couldn't care less.