Official Heavy Load reissues on No Remorse

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Forces of Steel

Re: Official Heavy Load reissues on No Remorse

Post by Forces of Steel »

I would prefer to get the Japanese reissues of Heavy Load's albums, because a lot of Western labels put out very low-quality stuff, and I can't look at most reissues the same way these days. For example, that Glacier CD has really poor print quality, but at least it wasn't too expensive.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Forces of Steel wrote:I would prefer to get the Japanese reissues of Heavy Load's albums, because a lot of Western labels put out very low-quality stuff, and I can't look at most reissues the same way these days. For example, that Glacier CD has really poor print quality, but at least it wasn't too expensive.
Me, on the other hand, I always pick the edition which includes the bigger number of tracks. I will always prefer an unreleased bonus-packed (and cheaper!!!!) reissue to the original first edition CD or even a prior reissue with with poorer content. The only reissues that really turned me off due to their bad (sound) quality, were the Savage Grace ones.
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Priamos wrote: Me, on the other hand, I always pick the edition which includes the bigger number of tracks. I will always prefer an unreleased bonus-packed (and cheaper!!!!) reissue to the original first edition CD or even a prior reissue with with poorer content. The only reissues that really turned me off due to their bad (sound) quality, were the Savage Grace ones.

totally agree!
Forces of Steel

Priamos wrote:Me, on the other hand, I always pick the edition which includes the bigger number of tracks. I will always prefer an unreleased bonus-packed (and cheaper!!!!) reissue to the original first edition CD or even a prior reissue with with poorer content. The only reissues that really turned me off due to their bad (sound) quality, were the Savage Grace ones.
Quality over quantity. I don't really like most bonus tracks, and usually prefer them available exclusively as compilation albums, as they ruin the flow of an album for me. I've been too annoyed by many reissues that include a few random live recordings and other random shit. I only picked up the High Roller Records reissue of Warlord's And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun... to physically own the album. I think I've only listened to the second disc once. :lol:
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Hey man, you are talking to a man that was raised on dubbed tapes and demos, so the "perfect sound quality" was never the question. :D If i was really into this kind of perfectonism, I would probably have been listening to jazz or classical music instead, because heavy metal by definition (=distortion) is built on noise. Obviously good sound and production are also an important factor but I generally prefer to have everything the band recorded in physical form, instead of having a "better" edition with less stuff.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Forces of Steel wrote:
Priamos wrote:Me, on the other hand, I always pick the edition which includes the bigger number of tracks. I will always prefer an unreleased bonus-packed (and cheaper!!!!) reissue to the original first edition CD or even a prior reissue with with poorer content. The only reissues that really turned me off due to their bad (sound) quality, were the Savage Grace ones.
Quality over quantity. I don't really like most bonus tracks, and usually prefer them available exclusively as compilation albums, as they ruin the flow of an album for me. I've been too annoyed by many reissues that include a few random live recordings and other random shit. I only picked up the High Roller Records reissue of Warlord's And the Cannons of Destruction Have Begun... to physically own the album. I think I've only listened to the second disc once. :lol:
For me - it's exactly the opposite.
A reissue just makes sense for the demo or rehearsal or live bonus.
The main thing - i don't listen it. At least - i normally start with the bonus (my main interest) and only after i go to the normal release itself.
It should be then - a collectors item (i mean the real deal - the 1st original vinyl or CD or tape edition), where there is normally the best possible sound and the way the band intended to ralease it on the first place. If i'm not wrong the Savage Grace is a re-recording.

As now one can see - there are plenty of different viewings and opinions.
This means - it makes sense the edition. If you wish - Buy it ! If you don't wish it - don't buy it !
Simple as this.
Knowledge Is Power
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

rumblefist wrote: It should be then - a collectors item (i mean the real deal - the 1st original vinyl or CD or tape edition), where there is normally the best possible sound and the way the band intended to ralease it on the first place.
The problem is- and all of us, the CD fans here, must admit it- that all the 80's heavy metal releases were recorded for analog formats. So the CDs can't reproduce exactly the sound as it was meant to be. That's the bitter truth. So looking for a perfect , high fidelity, sound quality from an 80s release at a CD, it's just an illussion.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Priamos wrote:
rumblefist wrote: It should be then - a collectors item (i mean the real deal - the 1st original vinyl or CD or tape edition), where there is normally the best possible sound and the way the band intended to ralease it on the first place.
The problem is- and all of us, the CD fans here, must admit it- that all the 80's heavy metal releases were recorded for analog formats. So the CDs can't reproduce exactly the sound as it was meant to be. That's the bitter truth. So looking for a perfect , high fidelity, sound quality from an 80s release at a CD, it's just an illussion.
Of course - but it wasn't that stuff that pisses off Avenger.If i know him a bit - he's also a CD customer mostly. Probably he brought
too much of other stuff into the topic. But i understand his position that he would buy this if it was everything perfect with this edition as in same plan i understand yours of before see it or before heard something from someone who bought it, being already supportive of this edtition - because you are a regular customer of No Remorse.
As i said - if you like normally what No Remorse releases - buy it !
If not - don't buy it !
Perhaps No Remorse can listen these type of rumors about their special editions (i say special because the label loves the band and they are aware of the number of fans the band still has) and can improve something for the future editions even asking a bit higher price. Who knows ?
Knowledge Is Power
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

rumblefist wrote: Perhaps No Remorse can listen these type of rumors about their special editions (i say special because the label loves the band and they are aware of the number of fans the band still has) and can improve something for the future editions even asking a bit higher price. Who knows ?
I think this is a crucial point for the label as this is a huge opportunity but also a big challenge for No Remorse. They are sitting here on a goldmine that could make the label really big. If they choose to cash out the name of Heavy Load with out offering a very good product, they maybe grab some easy cash but they will spoil this great opportunity to make a respectful reputation that will last. (and give Avenger every right to judge them hard).
On the other hand, I will be satisfied either way, as long as they include as much unreleased bonus tracks they can!!! :lol:
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Priamos wrote:
rumblefist wrote: Perhaps No Remorse can listen these type of rumors about their special editions (i say special because the label loves the band and they are aware of the number of fans the band still has) and can improve something for the future editions even asking a bit higher price. Who knows ?
I think this is a crucial point for the label as this is a huge opportunity but also a big challenge for No Remorse. They are sitting here on a goldmine that could make the label really big. If they choose to cash out the name of Heavy Load with out offering a very good product, they maybe grab some easy cash but they will spoil this great opportunity to make a respectful reputation that will last. (and give Avenger every right to judge them hard).
On the other hand, I will be satisfied either way, as long as they include as much unreleased bonus tracks they can!!! :lol:
Exactly - agreed on that.

Let's all be democratic then - and no hard feelings on anything that was stated.
Knowledge Is Power
Forces of Steel

Priamos wrote:Hey man, you are talking to a man that was raised on dubbed tapes and demos, so the "perfect sound quality" was never the question. :D If i was really into this kind of perfectonism, I would probably have been listening to jazz or classical music instead, because heavy metal by definition (=distortion) is built on noise. Obviously good sound and production are also an important factor but I generally prefer to have everything the band recorded in physical form, instead of having a "better" edition with less stuff.
I think you are jumping to conclusions on the point that I was trying to make. I'm not saying that albums have to be "prefect", but I like the more simpler approach to just the stuff that is really needed for the full album experience. If you want to include demos, singles, EPs, and so on, then a compilation album would be ideal for me. I like to separate the album itself from everything else that gets thrown in. Bonus tracks usually ruin the flow of the album for me, and like I said, it's not about "perfectionism".
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Forces of Steel wrote:
Priamos wrote:Hey man, you are talking to a man that was raised on dubbed tapes and demos, so the "perfect sound quality" was never the question. :D If i was really into this kind of perfectonism, I would probably have been listening to jazz or classical music instead, because heavy metal by definition (=distortion) is built on noise. Obviously good sound and production are also an important factor but I generally prefer to have everything the band recorded in physical form, instead of having a "better" edition with less stuff.
I think you are jumping to conclusions on the point that I was trying to make. I'm not saying that albums have to be "prefect", but I like the more simpler approach to just the stuff that is really needed for the full album experience. If you want to include demos, singles, EPs, and so on, then a compilation album would be ideal for me. I like to separate the album itself from everything else that gets thrown in. Bonus tracks usually ruin the flow of the album for me, and like I said, it's not about "perfectionism".
OK man, I guess i misinterpreted your "quality over quantity" quote. I though you were reffering to the quality of the product but you were probably just talking (?) about the quality of the tracks included. However, many times (oK,maybe not most of the times) the bonus are of equal quality* to the main album. Why miss them?

*or even better!!!
[youtube]T2BziO5a1YU[/youtube]
[youtube]5IzuESbohQ8[/youtube]
Forces of Steel

Priamos wrote:
Forces of Steel wrote:
OK man, I guess i misinterpreted your "quality over quantity" quote. I though you were reffering to the quality of the product but you were probably just talking (?) about the quality of the tracks included. However, many times (oK,maybe not most of the times) the bonus are of equal quality* to the main album. Why miss them?

*or even better!!!
[youtube]T2BziO5a1YU[/youtube]
[youtube]5IzuESbohQ8[/youtube]
It's not the case of "missing" anything in particular. I've said it before that it's a personal preference, yet you are the one trying to press on me about it. The good news is we have many more options for listening to music these days, so everyone gets to enjoy their preferences.

Also, I never said that ALL bonus tracks are unnecessary. I very much enjoy the inclusion of "Flaming Metal Systems" on Crystal Logic, and the Steel and Starlight reissue from 2015 is good stuff. It's just that when I usually listen to an album, I want to listen to exactly how it was originally intended to be by the band, or at least something closer to that. I don't like it when a CD clocks past forty minutes or so, depending on the circumstances. I'd like to hear the best of the best.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Ha,ha...Chill out man and do n't be influenced by the ..."intense" conversation we were having earlier with Avenger. It was a completely different situation than this, and even with him (i think :roll: ) we buried the hatchet. I'm not trying here to bust your balls or anything.

However, I don't think I was "pressing" you on anything. I was just wondering "why", more as rhetorical question and not as a personal judgement of your choices. The thing is that I have ABSOLUTELY no intention on influencing anyone with my opinion, let alone impose it.
I just think I pushed you more into keep talking about this subject , while you probably wished you have ended your part of the conversation. The truth is that I have more mood and free time for talking than usual, so I stretched the conversation more than it was necessary.
Last edited by Priamos on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forces of Steel

:roll:
Last edited by Forces of Steel on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.