OVERRATED METAL SCENES

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i don´t think there are too much overrated scenes...but certainly japanese is waaaay overrated
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Avenger wrote:Before this turns into a tear-fest of racism accusations from the usual suspects I am going to make it very clear that this has nothing to do with the people from this country personally but rather the MUSIC of the BANDS that came from the country.

Greece gets my vote hands down. There were a couple of demo only Thrash acts at the very end of the decade that were alright and perhaps Spitfire and Rust are also mid-range good but the rest is very mediocre and often wrongly described as "Power Metal". The country may have a strong fan base but 99% of the bands were completely forgettable.
As Chatzial said, you can't claim that the greek scene is overrated. You have this impression because its supporters (mainly greek) support it passionately. About the bands and the music, I can accept that most of the times it's love it or hate it.

PS. I think no one would call you 'racist' for not liking greek metal (on the contrary, it's pretty reasonable for a non greek) but for claiming, for instance, that the bootleg problem is exclusively greek, then you are playing with fire for being called at least prejudiced. :D
Fire Down Under

Post by Fire Down Under »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:i don´t think there are too much overrated scenes...but certainly japanese is waaaay overrated
:evil:

Take this, infidel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_x2kF6pUI

:D
Ironhead

Post by Ironhead »

Fire Down Under wrote:
MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:i don´t think there are too much overrated scenes...but certainly japanese is waaaay overrated
:evil:

Take this, infidel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_x2kF6pUI

:D
That sounds like a band for people who would love Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir but are afraid to lose their scene credits.
The Devil is within us all...
Satrapold

Post by Satrapold »

Haha, that clip does sound a bit like Cradle Of Filth (and I like at least their early stuff). From SIGH I think I have heard only the Hail Horror Hail album.
"Planet Earth is great to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there"
MAGIC METAL MYSTICAL EXPERIENCE
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Satrapold wrote:From SIGH I think I have heard only the Hail Horror Hail album.
Which is a devastator.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Nothing wrong with Dimmu or old COF, IMO.

I never heard recent Sigh until now. I don't like it, but the Visual Kei comment was cool, haha.
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Scorn Defeat is really everything you need from SIGH.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Outcast wrote:Scorn Defeat is really everything you need from SIGH.
Agreed! I bought these Crypt releases from the other albums some years ago assuming it was the same music as Scorn Defeat. It also was hyped as fuck. Boy, was I wrong. Those albums after Scorn Defeat are beyond awful. Glad I got rid of them for a good price. That was the last time I bought something blind :)
Long Live The Loud !!!
Ernest Thesiger

*pulls face*
Lama

Post by Lama »

"Infidel Art", their second, is also a great album. After that one they became too weird for me.
Kampel Destruction
Ernest Thesiger

Lama wrote:After that one they became too weird for me.
I can see how people could be put off by their genre-jumping & the like. They're kind of like the Flaming Lips of Blacking Metal now.
Lama

Post by Lama »

I agree. Respect for them though. Lots of people seem to like Sigh, so they are definitely doing something good. They are just doing something that I don't look for in music.
Kampel Destruction
krokus

Post by krokus »

80s Spanish and French metal is maybe overrated in the underground but in the mainstream nobody talkes about those scenes. To be honest, i find good albums in all countries and i dont even mind buying the bad ones because by listening to the bad ones i even like more the good ones :D
Fire Down Under

Post by Fire Down Under »

The Knell wrote:Nothing wrong with Dimmu or old COF, IMO.

I never heard recent Sigh until now. I don't like it, but the Visual Kei comment was cool, haha.
...but you cannot judge after hearing one minute of an entire album :wink: