Humble beginnings

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
humus

Re: Humble beginnings

Post by humus »

I can't really pinpoint it to one event.

In 1994 I was listening to Rage against the Machine, Metallica and The offspring because my older sister had those CD's. She also owned REM and Crash test dummies, and I'm pretty sure I would have listened to whatever genre she was listening to at the time.
In 1997 I bought The fat of the land from The prodigy. It's not metal, but I was attracted by the darkness and aggression in the music, and I still love that album to this day. Meanwhile in school everyone was raving about the Spice girls.
Later that year I went to high school and that's where it all really took off. I gradually started getting into punk, metal and hardcore. I remember my friend said he was going to get a CD from someone he knew that 'was more extreme than Roots from Sepultura'. I did not think that was possible. The album turned out to be In the nightside eclipse by Emperor, together with a Cannibal corpse album.
Soon I/we started to discover more music. There was an emission on national radio called 'Metalopolis' which I would listen to, and write down all names that were mentioned. There was a clipshow on national TV called 'Wet & wild' that I would tape. Think Headbangers ball. There was a CD-shop in town that catered to the metal audiance. Soon we would go there atleast three times a week. But I only had money to buy one CD a month, so I tried to find more music in the CD-section of the local library. My neighbour kid picked up on my love for hard music and gave me a compilation he had gotten from his uncle, because his band played on it. That was the 'Detonation' compilation from Belgian label Tessa records which featured for example Ancient rites.
By 2000 I was digging into the extreme metal underground, and I believe in the same year I bought my first vinyl. From a mailorder, because all shops I knew were CD-only.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

So great stories so far !!

I'm not very proud of it but anyway, my very, very humble beginnings in metal are due to the movie " Kiss meets the Phantoms of the Park", I was 9 back then. I saw the movie with my best mate then and I became mad about this movie, it was quite like an obsession !! I saw then this movie more than 20 times in a week, I ven stole some money in my mother wallet to see this movie again and again !

Then, I bought the vynil "Destroyer" and then the whole shit began !!
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Keir wrote:
Noisenik wrote:I have recorded first four emission, afterwards I relied on memory. In these next I was rewarded with tracks by Forbidden, Xentrix and Sabbat. These I was looking for - thrash was genre for me. Today I am quite sorry that I didn't record more of these emissions they would make excellent compis.
Do you still have any of those recordings? I do love to hear old radio programs.
Then you might be interested in hearing this, it's not so old though.

http://nature.si/vrazjeurice/