Best band from your home town/city

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Re: Best band from your home town/city

Post by Avenger »

Northwinds wrote:LOL, shooting the bird to me is flipping someone the middle finger
It's the same where I'm at.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
borrel

Post by borrel »

Valkyrie

(Deeds of Prowess)
fengisriprider

Post by fengisriprider »

Hmmm well not familiar with any hazel Park bands yet so the closest city is Ferndale Michigan in which case I would Ugly but Proud. Closest major City is Detroit, currently best band from Detroit would be Demon Bitch but there are quite a lo of good bands currently active in this area, White Magician, Isenblast, Anguish, Acid Witch, Shitfucker, Wulfhook, Nuke, Perversion, Halloween, my current favorite that is not active being Sweet Crystal, Check out Warlords for a great 70's rock/metal track (not a new band old 70's band with 2 private press singles)! Not going to go into the large quantity of great Michigan bands from other areas of the state because that would not be fair to the rest of you haha (Salems Wych, Ded Engine, Enchanter, Bad Axe, Steel Vengence) :lol: also will not shamelessly promote my own bands :wink:
"Without the holy grail, only evil can prevail."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

It seems that regardless of what the actual phrases are intended to mean, birds get a raw deal all over in almost every language.
I suppose it probably goes back somehow to the olde worlde superstitions about certain birds being bad luck, (albatrosses, ravens, magpies etc), and others being good omens, (doves, blackbirds, kingfishers etc), although these vary wildly depending on your locality too.
As for the topic at hand, i suppose the best known band from my home town was the Metalcore-ish Mendeed, whose music wasn't really my cup of tea, but they were really nice guys and tremendous players. My old band played with them on several occassions & i was always impressed by their musicianship & how well they worked a crowd, and we always had a lot of laughs with them.
The grindcore band Co-Exist are from my general neck of the woods too, and again, although it's not really my type of music normally they're astonishingly good musicians in that style & an absolutely amazing live band. Utter maniacs the lot of 'em.
As i'm so near Glasgow there were a few well known bands that i could 'claim' from back in the NWoBHM era; Heavy Pettin', Glasgow, Hazard, Trident etc, but none of those groups ever really blew me away.
For the sake of mischief-making i could stretch the credibility of the thread title & outrage any Aussies on the forum by claiming AC/DC as the best band from my home city, as the Young brothers were both born in & spent their formative years in Glesga.
Fair dinkum!
:twisted:
As i've been so 70's obsessed lately, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band were a fantastic group & although pretty schizophrenic musically they possessed enough 'oomph' for that era to get my seal of approval.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

A bit off topic, but a good example for "to shoot the bird" was the match yesterday. Borrussia Dortmund really shot the bird by still losing that match after they were already leading with 1:3 IN Liverpool!
Therefore I have a little british antipathy today and for the rest of the month I will not buy ANY british record! I hope that's a lesson for them ... :evil:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Prowler wrote:A bit off topic, but a good example for "to shoot the bird" was the match yesterday. Borrussia Dortmund really shot the bird by still losing that match after they were already leading with 1:3 IN Liverpool!
Therefore I have a little british antipathy today and for the rest of the month I will not buy ANY british record! I hope that's a lesson for them ... :evil:
:lol: IMHO, you should put embargo on Dortmund, not on UK. After all BD "hat den Vogel geschuetzt".
I am ... the One you warned me of
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Prowler wrote:A bit off topic, but a good example for "to shoot the bird" was the match yesterday. Borrussia Dortmund really shot the bird by still losing that match after they were already leading with 1:3 IN Liverpool!
It's a fair effort to out-choke Chokerpool - well done! :lol:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote:As for the topic at hand, i suppose the best known band from my home town was the Metalcore-ish Mendeed, whose music wasn't really my cup of tea, but they were really nice guys and tremendous players. My old band played with them on several occassions & i was always impressed by their musicianship & how well they worked a crowd, and we always had a lot of laughs with them.
The grindcore band Co-Exist are from my general neck of the woods too, and again, although it's not really my type of music normally they're astonishingly good musicians in that style & an absolutely amazing live band. Utter maniacs the lot of 'em.
As i'm so near Glasgow there were a few well known bands that i could 'claim' from back in the NWoBHM era; Heavy Pettin', Glasgow, Hazard, Trident etc, but none of those groups ever really blew me away.
For the sake of mischief-making i could stretch the credibility of the thread title & outrage any Aussies on the forum by claiming AC/DC as the best band from my home city, as the Young brothers were both born in & spent their formative years in Glesga.
Fair dinkum!
:twisted:
As i've been so 70's obsessed lately, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band were a fantastic group & although pretty schizophrenic musically they possessed enough 'oomph' for that era to get my seal of approval.
'kit, I wanted to ask you for some time now. Are you Scot-Scot or Scot-Anglo-Saxon or Scot-... by origin. :-)

now that I give my 2 cents, the best band from my birth town, if I don't count the one, I played in, would be Skytower. Sovdy will probably laugh at, but they have at least released sth. Their second album reaches certain of my standards somehow.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'm willing to bet most of those British records wouldn't even come out of the UK anyways :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote:'kit, I wanted to ask you for some time now. Are you Scot-Scot or Scot-Anglo-Saxon or Scot-... by origin. :-)
Not really sure which of your categorisations i would fall under Noisenik.
I'm Scots born with some Irish & Scandinavian in my genetic soup from a few generations back, so i suppose that makes me a Scot/Brit/Celt/Viking mongrel mutant.
:lol:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
J.

Post by J. »

Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote:
Noisenik wrote:'kit, I wanted to ask you for some time now. Are you Scot-Scot or Scot-Anglo-Saxon or Scot-... by origin. :-)
Not really sure which of your categorisations i would fall under Noisenik.
I'm Scots born with some Irish & Scandinavian in my genetic soup from a few generations back, so i suppose that makes me a Scot/Brit/Celt/Viking mongrel mutant.
:lol:
kick ass!

no categorisation meant, I just wanted to avoid possible wrong deduction by asking/saying straight that you're Scot, and it would turn out you're Anglo-Saxon, or prefered to be called British instead.

I am somewhat interested in developing of nations and their languages through history + I am a Slav with some German infusions and Celts and Slavs are not that far apart genetically. Also hope I could visit Scotland one day - almost too much to see.
Keir

Post by Keir »

My current hometown is devoid of metal, but Steel Assassin are from Brockton, MA which is just 2 towns over.