ALTA TENSÃO - Portal Do Inferno

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

ALTA TENSÃO - Portal Do Inferno

Post by DaN »

Yep, it's true. For the first time since the neolithic age I've done a new review for the site. It's a random first pic off a quickly assembled list of titles I thought it'd be fun to rant about. More will come, though I can't promise they will be all be as long or as good (?) as in the old days. Time will tell...

I'll be posting threads on all new reviewed titles and link to them from the review-pages. They will all be posted in Into Battle rather than Worship Me Or Die since it's basically Olde Metal Talk rather than Site Talk. I figured it's best to keep all things in one place.

I've said my part, now let me hear your thoughts on this one!
Cyrcka

Re: ALTA TENSÃO - Portal Do Inferno

Post by Cyrcka »

Great DaN!

"top-5 of Brazilian traditional HM releases" I couldn't agree more.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

It definitely isn't among top 5 ... "Chacal" sounds killer, the rest is standard, not even standard. The "Kohlenkeller sound" ruins it completely.
I'd like to see your top 5 Brazil HM list. You'll recognize yourself Alta Tensao can't be among them with any of their records. :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I don't think I can compile a top Brazilian HM list, the only album from the old days that comes immediately to mind and deserves a spot in a top list is VIPER's Soldiers Of Sunrise. So much stuff is either average or totally forgettable. This one here for instance, I couldn't remember if I had ever heard it until I checked my list. SALARIO MINIMO and CENTURIAS are nice too, top material no. Guess I'll have to stick to VULCANO and ATTOMICA...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

Great! Keep em' coming men!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I can agree that Brazil isn't in the top tier of 80's trad HM countries (as we all know their specialties lay elsewhere ) but Portal.. is among the better releases I think. I'm having a hard time to pinpoint the exact reason why I think it stands out from the crowd though... Could be one of those when-&-where type experiences I guess.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

C-L-A-V-I-O-N :!:

Ion Britton named 3 more ... not to forget Harppia's MLP so we're already at 5. Where to put Alta Tensao between? :wink:

Azul Limao's "Ordem E Progresso" is top notch Power Metal and Overdose's first efforts are fantastic as well.
Garcia & Garcia, Cortina de Ferro ... and what else is missing ... all great records and leaving Alta Tensao far behind ...
anthares

Post by anthares »

By the way. This album is also re-released just now my Since 72 records.

https://likestore.com.br/store/showcase/since72records

Also check out other stuff they let out. You dont see for example Orquidea Negra album every day.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Garcia & Garcia is a turd. How can you like that Prowler ?
On the other hand i have a weak spot for Calibre 38 - surely the best band using portuguese lyrics. Most of brasilian bands have ridiculous lyrics - i can tell.
Also i like Calibre 38 lot for having a totally distinct sound from most of the other brasilian bands.
Azul Limao with Ordem e Progresso is the other great LP i can recommend.
Knowledge Is Power
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

rumblefist wrote:Garcia & Garcia is a turd. How can you like that Prowler ?
On the other hand i have a weak spot for Calibre 38 - surely the best band using portuguese lyrics. Most of brasilian bands have ridiculous lyrics - i can tell.
Also i like Calibre 38 lot for having a totally distinct sound from most of the other brasilian bands.
I like Calibre 38 too, but as you say it sounds "different" than the rest. Astaroth's LP is such a record too.
But Garcia & Garcia is a turd?????
"Mr. Fire"?
To me it's Power Speed with outstanding guitarist! Please listen again ... :!:
anthares

Post by anthares »

Prowler wrote:
rumblefist wrote:Garcia & Garcia is a turd. How can you like that Prowler ?
I like Calibre 38 too, but as you say it sounds "different" than the rest. Astaroth's LP is such a record too.
But Garcia & Garcia is a turd?????
"Mr. Fire"?
To me it's Power Speed with outstanding guitarist! Please listen again ... :!:
Any MP3 from Garcia & Garcia anywhere?
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Astaroth is such a boring album.

I agree with Rumblefist about Calibre 38, sure on my top 5

for me the best (excluding the extreme stuff):

Calibre 38
Viper debut
Kamikaze ep
Alta Tensao - portal
Azul Limão debut
Stress debut
Centurias both
Harpia both

and i also put Zenith in the list, i know that for many this is tooo mellow :D
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

anthares wrote:Any MP3 from Garcia & Garcia anywhere?
It's on the Tube at least.

[youtube]_0Ui6QX2sks[/youtube]
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
anthares

Post by anthares »

Cyrcka wrote:Astaroth is such a boring album.
No way! Its dark stuff.
Ernest Thesiger wrote:
anthares wrote:Any MP3 from Garcia & Garcia anywhere?
It's on the Tube at least.

[youtube]_0Ui6QX2sks[/youtube]
Cheers. Have to check it at some point!
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Maybe turd is a harsch word ( i don't listen this for ages and i could tell i listened something more FM/AOR from them. Haven't they anyother releases ?) - But you have to understand, bro Prowler, this type of Power-Metal is not what people look when it comes to buy brasilian metal. If you like Power-Metal buy Liege Lord !!!!!! and then Slauter Xstroyes !!! And then Tyrant and go on and go on and on into that direction and never get out of that trail.
Not even the most enlightened brasilian metal dude knows who these fellows were and what style did they play.

If you wish to buy the finest brasilian metal go to the list of Cyrcka and you have the best there. But he (most likely as you but for reasons of not understanding portuguese) doesn't care much for the words.
For me - to listen great musicians and a fine singer but giving such a bad message...it gives me creeps.
Same thing to portuguese metal - only V12 LP is good on that department.
To listen Xeque Mate singer saying "nao tenho tempo para ti, miudo" (i don't have time for you, kid) - and repeating it several times - yekkkkk !!! Very gay chorus, i could swear.
And what about Jarojupe 7'' ? with that lyric against abortion ? oh my oh my. :D

Brasilain metal is recurrent on it's lyrics - Heavy Metal as the sound of satan or the devil. (unfortunately no Tom Araya there neither King Diamond - to make a real sense...)
Knowledge Is Power