Old Spanish metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Very solid heavy metal with great production to sing along, great cover and great singer is PANZER-Toca Madera.
My favorite LP is ACRACIA-La otra Sevila VERY unique piece and maybe UTM.
I agree that Spain has otherwise the least interesting metal scene of the 80's. Nice collectors items but musically seen 90% average or below.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Fils Du Metal wrote:My favorite LP is ACRACIA-La otra Sevila VERY unique piece
Unique as in an original sound? U got my attention - tell me more!
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

You don't know it Dan? I think this one is for you. Really the best Spanish metal LP in my eyes, unique vocals, unique lyrics. The band are two brothers from Sevilla that recorded the record together. Nice guitarwork and great political lyrics although no punk. Give it a listen somewhere for sure it has been bootlegged somwhere on those Greek CD series?
Derrick Metaliszta

Post by Derrick Metaliszta »

After examining this thread...
Most people in this forum don't regard the Spanish Metal scene highly... Why?
Is it because most bands sang in Spanish?
I ask this because I always find it more common to find people raving madly about the German, Belgian, Dutch, Swedish, U.K., Italian, etc. scenes, which predominantly sang in English. While other scenes like for example Russia, Poland, Czech, Yugoslavia, and even Latin american and Asian countries, which more often than not sang in their own language, aren't respected as much and many times just considered "exotic".
I think it has something to do with this, maybe most people (actually, i should say even die hard metal collectors who populate this board) still aren't totally open to listening to Metal in other languages?
Let me know what you think...
The Spanish metal scene for me was an amazing phenomenon and unique in the entire world! Fantastic, huge, what else can I say...
And just to read all of your comments... I can't take it as just "a matter of taste".
:)
Melalui lorong hidupku, akan ku teruskan...
Pelayaran ini sehingga hujungnya!
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Hi, from my point of view it is a matter of taste. I LOVE other languages in metal, English is not no. 1 for me. I live French metal like hell...
Honestly said it is really the music on the albums, the songwriting, especially in the Spanish scene not the others you mentioned. It is not a matter of language but music for me personally.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fils Du Metal wrote:Hi, from my point of view it is a matter of taste. I LOVE other languages in metal, English is not no. 1 for me. I live French metal like hell...
Honestly said it is really the music on the albums, the songwriting, especially in the Spanish scene not the others you mentioned. It is not a matter of language but music for me personally.
The language is not the problem for me either. It's the derivative music style of the most Spanish bands that becomes easily very boring for me. Lack of originality is something you meet quite often in all those ''classic'' Spanish bands. The repetetive Judas Priest, AC/DC, Iron Maiden and early NWOBHM influences are really very tiring for me...The usual ''rock 'n' roll-ish'' lyrics was also a highly disappointing thing for my likes. However, i'm still waiting for that ACRACIA LP to hear...sounds quite interesting!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Derrick Metaliszta

OK you guys say it's just a matter of taste.
I just find it strange that commonly amongst the releases which are considered by the members of the Corroseum as "the few good ones" from the Spanish scene are Crom, Exodo, and Fuck Off, bands who sang in english, and actually 3 bands which I considered very bad compared to the rest of the spanish bands. It kind of makes me wonder...? :?
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Its a known fact to many metal heads that the Spanish scene did not produce many worthwhile bands, you saying oh I don't believe that its just taste seems like a sign of fanboyism.

V8 is a very godly band that sing in Spanish and they aren't from Spain so your logic about people not liking them simply because they speak Spanish is seriously flawed.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Derrick, don't worry there are some guys like me that love Spanish sung metal (be it from Spain, Argentina, Colombia, Peru, etc, etc.) . all "scenes" have derivative bands and original ones too, just not everyone can appreciate all the good metal out there.
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I'm not going to lie to you and say its not a factor though, In my opinion bands that sung in English have always produced better material. The bands that sing in their native tongue that I enjoy the most play some kind of folk stuff so it just works out better.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Derrick Metaliszta wrote:I just find it strange that commonly amongst the releases which are considered by the members of the Corroseum as "the few good ones" from the Spanish scene are Crom, Exodo, and Fuck Off, bands who sang in english, and actually 3 bands which I considered very bad compared to the rest of the spanish bands.

God, how BAD can they actually be??? At least CROM and EXODO??!?? You haven't sent your top list yet. Which albums do you believe are the best? I hope i won't see any BARON ROJO or OBUS stuff there, both are ridiculously overrated imo.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

Mägo de Oz and Baron Rojo are a joke and yet they seemed to be worshipped as the best spanish metal and godly bands like crom are but obscure metal and that is one of the main reasons why spanish metal isn't taken seriously.
Derrick Metaliszta

Well I personally find Crom and Exodo to be very lame, uninspired stuff. Their music doesn't tell me anything special and their lyrics about fantasy, apocalypse, or anything else which has no meaning for me, bore me to death.
What's this about "it's a known fact that the spanish scene didn't produce worthwhile bands", that's just YOUR opinion. What's a true FACT is that most Spanish bands sang in their own language, while the vast majority of bands from other Western European countries, which are commonly considered as having great, amazing, fantastic scenes in the 80s, sang in English. THAT is a FACT. My opinion is mainly that I think a lot of people are biased without even knowing it.
You can clearly mention V8 as a spanish singing band you like but it's of course an exception, you yourself say that for you english singing bands just produce better material, that just sounds so biased...

Obus were a good band, yeah, they were simple, that doesn't make them bad. As for Baron Rojo, I consider them to have written some of Metal's greatest hymns ever.

Mago de oz is of course stupid music for little kids.

I won't care to mention other bands since it doesn't really make any difference. I know people here have heard a good amount of Spanish bands already otherwise they wouldn't be posting in this thread voicing their opinion.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Derrick Metaliszta wrote:Well I personally find Crom and Exodo to be very lame, uninspired stuff.

I won't care to mention other bands since it doesn't really make any difference. I know people here have heard a good amount of Spanish bands already otherwise they wouldn't be posting in this thread voicing their opinion.
CROM and EXODO lame and uninspired? No further comments.

I don't understand why mentioning other bands won't make any difference. By thinking like this, neither i nor anybody else should have posted their favorite bands in this thread. Surely many people here have heard many old Spanish (and also French, Mexican, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Mongolese) bands long before this thread first started, but that's not the point neither in this topic nor in any other topic. You say that Spanish scene is phenomenal but you don't tell us why. I'm really curious to see what you consider as NON-lame Spanish metal. Who knows, maybe some minds will change.

Derrick Metaliszta

Heh, I just don't think minds will change by just posting a list and I personally don't intend to change anyone's mind. Just like everyone else I was only giving my opinion.
I think the Spanish scene was phenomenal because it captured the essence of the 80s, each band had their own particular sound in the scene, and most bands had outstanding lyrics which spoke to the hearts and minds of metalheads.
I'll mention a few of my favorites since I guess it's the norm heheh These are some of the most famous:

Muro - Should be in the list of top speed metal bands.
Angeles del Infierno - Yes they were the spanish Judas Priest, they were THAT good.
Banzai - Their first album has that perfect NWOBHM feeling.
Medina Azahara - One of the most unique (In the best way possible) bands I have ever heard.
Ñu - It's Heavy Metal ala Jethro Tull!
Santa - Azucena is for me the best female metal singer.
Panzer - All their albums were great, powerful, 80s metal.
Sangre Azul - Their debut album is a gem!