"DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 833

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#31 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:05 am

It's for knowing you a little bit that i can tell you're still too far of having a good demo collection.
On the other way - if you start a zine book - will be easier for you - for what i saw.
Knowledge Is Power

Plantweed
Posts: 43
Contact:

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#32 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:43 am

Well, I disagree.

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2202

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#33 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am

rumblefist wrote:It's for knowing you a little bit that i can tell you're still too far of having a good demo collection.
On the other way - if you start a zine book - will be easier for you - for what i saw.

Sorry dude, all I'm seeing in your posts is "I'm better than you, so don't you even try and write a book". If you love the demo scene you should be encouraging, not trying to put people down who try to contribute to a fairly undocumented subject. Who cares if the book doesn't cover every Paralex demo, or leaves that elusive 6th version of Prowler out? As we've all already agreed on, having every demo in it is a futile project, so why not be happy about the fact that a book containing 13.000 of them is about to be published?

It's also quite common for manic collectors to try and discourage this type of information from spreading as they don't want any increased competition for the stuff they don't already own.
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

User avatar
Zanker
Posts: 77

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#34 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:11 pm

Who cares if the book doesn't cover every Paralex demo, or leaves that elusive 6th version of Prowler out? As we've all already agreed on, having every demo in it is a futile project, so why not be happy about the fact that a book containing 13.000 of them is about to be published?
[/quote]

My idea too. It will never be complete but all we got extra with covers, logo's and the likes, i'm in!
Good idea too for another book with covers with magazines...dying for that info too :D

User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 833

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#35 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:49 pm

I do care about the 9 demos of Paralex.
Or the 6 Prowler's.
And more other things - because i know his information and demo base is really weak.
I know many many people who thinks the same.

That's why - i won't buy the book.
Because i am free and i try not to support average metal.

But someone must do the book. And someone will buy it

And someone - later - will give me reason.
Knowledge Is Power

Plantweed
Posts: 43
Contact:

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#36 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:58 pm

All I can say to these "many people" is, Write your own damn book, and we'll compare. But I don't see that happening. 8)

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2202

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#37 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:05 pm

rumblefist wrote:I do care about the 9 demos of Paralex.
Or the 6 Prowler's.
And more other things - because i know his information and demo base is really weak.
I know many many people who thinks the same.

That's why - i won't buy the book.
Because i am free and i try not to support average metal.

But someone must do the book. And someone will buy it

And someone - later - will give me reason.

We're discussing a book with a potential 13.000 entries, and the first words that spring to my mind aren't "really weak" and "average". Give me a break. This just reeks of elitism and snobbery. If you're so much better at demo collecting, why not prove it? Produce something for the metal community yourself instead of bad mouthing people who are working hard to do their part. This is the same problem I have with people criticizing Metal Archives. Sure, it has flaws. Sure, there is stuff missing, incorrect information, bad moderators etc. But it's still a pretty darn impressive database of bands which has helped many a metal fan a lot.

I'd like to hear why some people in this thread are so much against this book. Is it because Plantweed prefers to do most of the work himself? I understand that it would be easier to reach a higher number of demo entries if it was indeed a collaborative effort, but being the editor of such a complex project takes a lot of energy. Perhaps even more so than doing it all on your own.
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6627

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#38 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Khnud wrote:Is it because Plantweed prefers to do most of the work himself?


Quoting a few things from the fb page:
Anyone have two demos by the British band F.K.M.? They are Demo 1987 and Broken Dreams (1989).


We’re in need of the 1985 rehearsal (sans vocals) from the L.A. metal/thrash outfit F.C.D.N. Tormentor.

ZINE WANTED: Douche Rag #1 (edited by Chris Chen, Denver, CO). Will pay for originals, but scans or photocopies are OK.


Trying to find the 1987 demo, Blow It Out Your Hole!, by the New Jersey crossover thrash band F.C.A. (Farting Catastrophe of the Anus), with bassist Tim Scott of Revenant.


We could use Makin' Noise, the 1980 demo from the Northern Irish NWOBHM group Ezy Meat.

Looking for 1989’s Garden Dwarf Woman Driver, the demo by New Orleans sludge combo Eyehategod.


and so on for quite a few years already.

Now, in the modern era where you can also find with a single click tons of obscure stuff others ripped and uploaded and you have a site like M-A, can this be regarded as "doing most of the work himself"? Maybe the author already has a lot of stuff in his own personal collection, maybe not. I can't know that. You can get a lot of credit by writing a cool review of the X superunknown band on MA, but how you learned about the existence of that band and most important how you got to actually hear that stuff is something people tend to forget. The impression this project personally gives me is that someone is trying to get credit for himself based on the work thousands of people have collectively done through the years. Don't take this last sentence word for word, I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

With the recent feedback given by the author, I am quite curious about how these missing 13000 reviews will be written, especially if only a few hundreds have been written by now. To be able to describe in 2-3 words the style of music of 13000 pieces is one thing, but to have an opinion about them also is quite another. I'd be more interested in a book about the best 1000 demos you never heard (because the really good ones won't be more than that in the whole spectrum of metal), rather than trying to cover in a single book everything that has been released in a particular era, in an age that you have sites like M-A.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 833

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#39 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Surely i won't prove you anything.

Who are you ?
Do i owe you any cent ?

Allow me to have my own opinion and stop .

STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BASTA !!!!!

Understood ?
Knowledge Is Power

bobo
Posts: 26

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#40 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:02 pm

I think this kind of book is more than needed, so full support for the author!!!

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2202

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#41 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 pm

rumblefist wrote:Surely i won't prove you anything.

Who are you ?
Do i owe you any cent ?

Allow me to have my own opinion and stop .

STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BASTA !!!!!

Understood ?

No way, dude. This is a forum meant for discussion. If you have a problem with someone having a different opinion than you and arguing against you, this might not be the place for you. If you claim that another person who's doing a project knows nothing and the project is a complete waste of time or whatever, the burden of proof is upon you. You have to prove why this person knows nothing and why the project is a complete waste. Otherwise it's just a slanderous comment. Oh, and trying to act intimidating and forcing other forums members into silence will get you nowhere. You're in no position telling me to stop expressing my opinion. So just cool it, ok?

ION BRITTON wrote:The impression this project personally gives me is that someone is trying to get credit for himself based on the work thousands of people have collectively done through the years. Don't take this last sentence word for word, I hope you know what I'm trying to say.

Thank you for clarifying your position on this matter, and for responding in a calm and sober manner. I "get it", but this also means that it's basically impossible for anyone to actually get anything in writing without having to give credit to "the internet". And we all know it doesn't really work that way. Was it wrong by Janne Stark or Malc Macmillan to release their encyclopedias?
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

bobo
Posts: 26

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#42 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Gathering info from different sources is not uncommon. Every book has this kind of list.

Plantweed, don't be bothered with malicious comments of some people.

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6627

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#43 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Haven't read Stark's book, but the one Malc has done and which I do own dates back to the late 90's or early 00's. There was no google at that time, no M-A, no gigabytes of mp3s circulating on the www. I can't compare those circumstances with the situation nowadays. It's also focused on one thing and because of that, it has depth and the author clearly shows he has done his homework like no one ever has done before on the topic. Very few people (if not no one at all) had the knowledge Malc had at that time about NWOBHM. And even then, he does not claim it's 100% complete.
You have more chances to do it right, if you specialize on something and try to stay focused on it. I don't know if I will eventually buy demolition or not, but for the moment allow me to have my doubts about a book that tries to cover the whole 80s demo scene from heavy metal to grind or whatever.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win



"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6627

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#44 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

bobo wrote:Gathering info from different sources is not uncommon.


Asking for info in public through a media that counts some millions of users is not much of a "gathering" I'm afraid.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win



"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6627

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post#45 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Read the whole thread again and found this:

doomedplanet wrote:I'm skeptical it will ever come out. I tried to help the guy years ago and he didn't really really want any help. Or another way to put it he seemed against sharing information, and the little 'give and take' that a project like this requires.


If this is true, it seems a bit contradictory to ask for info every second day on fb.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win



"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

Return to “Into Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests