"DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

"DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post by DaN »

DemoLition blog wrote:This blog exists to help locate information and audio for the forthcoming book DemoLition, a complete-as-possible guide to all known heavy metal and hard rock demos released in the 1980s, tentatively scheduled for a 2016 release.
I think this Project is so impressive I wanna push some for it here. Let's discuss and see if we can help out with some info!
Khnud

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post by Khnud »

The project has a Facebook page too.

https://www.facebook.com/demolitionbook?fref=ts
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I'm skeptical it will ever come out. I tried to help the guy years ago and he didn't really really want any help. Or another way to put it he seemed against sharing information, and the little 'give and take' that a project like this requires.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

More than skeptical...much more than that.
Knowledge Is Power
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

rumblefist wrote:More than skeptical...much more than that.
I agree and this statement from the FB page is VERY uh erm positive...

The official page for the upcoming Bazillion Points book that will cover every known 1980s metal demo.

Best of luck if he/she/they can pull something off however.
whiteravenmetal

Post by whiteravenmetal »

Holy fuck this is a beyond impossible quest, anyway best of luck and hope they can cover as much as possible!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

In case of best possible scenario, revised editions will follow.
I am ... the One you warned me of
demophil

Post by demophil »

I highly doubt he will cover every demo release made in the 80's

Guess that only from Africa, Caribbean Countries, Middle East, ex Soviet countries there are dozens and dozens and dozens of demos released whose information are totally impossible to find. Bands don't reply, bands don't share information, bands have lost all those tapes and recordings, it's also impossible to find even a shitty image of the tape cover nor even a basic tracklist....

Then I guess this situation is common also to the most "reachable" european or american countries....just in my hometown (Prato) there were 3 metal bands (Truth Zone and two more, one of them sung "Zona selvaggia") who recorded their own demo back in the late 80's (1988-1989) but I couldn't be able to find even a shit of information in more than 20 years....and Truth Zone's guitarist was studying in my same school and he always refused to talk about that demo (which I had in double copy at the time...)

Massacrator (pre-Necromass) released a Demo in 1989 and a live tape...I know the ex members and in 15+ years they never sent me a rip or a scan of the cover, despite hundred of promises...in fact if you see on M.A. it's still listed in the release notes and a tracklist is not available. There are 2-3 people I know in Florence who has that demo but nobody ever cared to share even a basic information

Plus, in 1990 I recorded a rehearsal tape with my brother and the guitar player of Dream Void, at the Casa del Popolo di Legri....we spreaded that tape in 2-3 copies and then it went lost (I overdubbed it a few time later, as it was a very shitty performance) and the other 2 copies are just vanished in the air. I don't even remember the name of our band....Desecration or Buried Alive (maybe we changed name at the second rehearsal for no particular reason). So, as you can see...there could be thousand of demos whose existence is known only to 2-3 people, if they are even still alive

From Spain I know 50 + bands (at least) who released demos in the 80's which are totally ignored by Metal Archives....and my friends overthere have dozens and dozens more obscure bands which I am not even aware of.

In India - as I posted some list somewhere - there were A LOT of bands in the 80's...and it's far beyond impossible to track down their history and even more impossible to know if they ever recorded something as most of bands from Asia and Africa do not even consider demo recordings as part of their discography or biography...there could have been a lot of demos circulating only in few towns which are completely neglected and forgotten, by the bands themselves first of all.

So...yeah....I think it's something beyond impossible as a target
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Haha, well i was trying to be nice and kept my real opinion to myself ...
rumblefist wrote:More than skeptical...much more than that.
DESECRATOR777

Post by DESECRATOR777 »

dont bother giving any thought to helping this voyeur. conceal your information. end of story.
spit on thunder!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

There's no doubt this will never be a complete book, but then again the header on the blog is a wee bit more humble than that:
...a complete-as-possible guide to all known heavy metal and hard rock demos released in the 1980s...
Even then it's still a crazy endeavour and projects like this have a tendency to run into the ground once its main motor discovers the futility of all, but I can't help rooting for the guy anyways. I hope something will emerge from all this work eventually...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Impossible task as everyone knows here. If he'd just concentrate on 1 special country it's still impossible as even now after 666 years I do find obscurest german demos from local acts that just sold 3 copies back in the day or just gave away the tapes for free to friends and it never made it way to the tapetrader scene.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

I´ll buy it!!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

If anyone has this guy's email maybe they could pm it to me? Cheers.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Pm sent.
Knowledge Is Power