"DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

I would prefer to have a book than checking a website any day.

The effort on this is welcomed yet knowing that it won´t be a complete work, what we all agree here is that its simply impossible.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Plantweed, a few years back there used to be a member of this board called 'Boris' who had a large collection of original NWoBHM demos. Over the course of his sleuthing he had amassed a lot of information & contacts including many original band members.
He's no longer active here, but he could be a very worthwhile person to get in contact with regarding your project. I'm sure someone amongst our members must still be in touch with him. Anyone?
Best of luck with the book.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

otcmetal wrote:]

You might want to look up of the definition of "lambasting":

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lambasting

Asking the actual guy that's involved in this project why he's chosen to go the book route while providing the benefits of the alternative has nothing to do with the term. I haven't bashed this project at all, yet you still feel the need to answer for him while going off on a tangent about your purchase habits and offering zero reason as to why it's a superior format. That's the crux of my original post so that's why if you are going to quote it with a difference of opinion it only makes sense that you would do so while providing reasons. Common sense 101...

This is essentially what you've accomplished to this point:
[youtube]Ld35lMnFQ10[/youtube]

You're trying to draw me into an imaginary argument, just to try and make yourself feel like you've made some sort of nonsensical point. And yes, the definition of "lambasting" is exactly what you try to do to certain members of this forum. I already explained everything I felt I needed to in my previous post. I won't resort to your tactics, Mr. Avenger. Btw, I DO love lamp!!!
You're clearly putting too much thought into what you think my ulterior motive is and not enough into what's actually relevant to the conversation.

"I love book."

But why?

"I love book."

bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Priamos wrote:Ha,ha...Nothing like a good ol Corroseum controversy! :lol: :P Admit it or not, these controversies keep the forums alive! When we all agree, we hardly see one-two posts in corroseum each day! Now we have a flood of posts!! Later, we might all cry with crocodile tears: "But why can't we all be friends!!" :lol: but i guess, deep inside us we love it!
All those who survived reading these controversies all these years are the true members of the Corroseum :D
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

This is off topic, but perhaps we can split it into a separate thread?

Avenger, you're dead wrong concerning the presumed immortality of data posted on the internet. Take it from someone who works in the information science business, so I know what I'm talking about here. There's a huge black hole of information data loss from when the internet age started. A large majority of data published on the web will invariably be lost over time (or is already lost forever), as server hosting companies go out of business, web pages get shut down or are discontinued etc. Take Geocities for example, almost all information published there in the 1990's and early 2000 is gone without any possibility of retrieval. And we still don't have a reliable way of preserving web data in a way that don't involve third party operators like Google. There are democracy issues here too - with web data being in the hands of private companies who may or may not choose to charge you for using it. Compare this to the printed word which will always be available to you for free using your nation's legal deposit library.

Plus, I love books because I prefer the physical format. I want to be able to hold something in my hands. You know, that's why I collect vinyl records, cassettes and CDs instead of mp3s and Spotify. ;-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Khnud wrote:This is off topic, but perhaps we can split it into a separate thread?

Avenger, you're dead wrong concerning the presumed immortality of data posted on the internet. Take it from someone who works in the information science business, so I know what I'm talking about here. There's a huge black hole of information data loss from when the internet age started. A large majority of data published on the web will invariably be lost over time (or is already lost forever), as server hosting companies go out of business, web pages get shut down or are discontinued etc. Take Geocities for example, almost all information published there in the 1990's and early 2000 is gone without any possibility of retrieval. And we still don't have a reliable way of preserving web data in a way that don't involve third party operators like Google. There are democracy issues here too - with web data being in the hands of private companies who may or may not choose to charge you for using it. Compare this to the printed word which will always be available to you for free using your nation's legal deposit library.

Plus, I love books because I prefer the physical format. I want to be able to hold something in my hands. You know, that's why I collect vinyl records, cassettes and CDs instead of mp3s and Spotify. ;-)
A time before google was a prominate face on the internet. It also depends on how much stock you put in the content of those early geocities websites that were primarily filled with spam and various other garbage that no one really misses. Geocities was like the myspace of web hosting. Internet cancer.

Technology has come a long way since the 90's. As someone that works in the tech industry, I can make the same claim as you but I would rather not assume ignorance or that you're a troglodyte. I can see the appeal of a book. Especially in a community such as this one where modern values are often frowned upon but in this use case it makes absolutely no sense other then to boast about having published one. Even from a economics/convenience standpoint, how many guys that bought the Popoff book back in the day do you think actually pull it out to reference a band rather then looking it up on the Metal Archives first?

Again, I heavily weigh the audience this is geared towards and understand that not everything new is better especially when it comes to music and society but for an ongoing project that will never be complete, a medium that's future proof trumps a printed, instantly outdated medium. Substantial websites are now all archived. It may be done by third parties but that’s irrelevant and heading towards a political based discussion that no one will ever agree on. See the “Net Neutrality” issue that’s going on in the US for the second time. Laws that in most developed countries were already passed a long time ago and remain firm to this day.

Bottom line, there's still been no compelling argument against this being online. This project is an ever evolving encyclopedia, not a novel.
Last edited by Avenger on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

I'm finished with the argument. I stated my opinion, and stand by it. Good luck with the book!
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Almost more 1 year and a half of "Research" and "Reviewing" .....................................
Knowledge Is Power
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

rumblefist wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:03 am Almost more 1 year and a half of "Research" and "Reviewing" .....................................
What? It is almost 10 years :lol: