Awesome songs that survived only as live recordings

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Herkus Monte

Awesome songs that survived only as live recordings

Post by Herkus Monte »

When I listen to bonus track off reissued Stormwitch albums I feel really astonished that they never made it to any actual LP. Songs like "Beware the Demons", "Light the Pyre" or "Children of the Night" among others sound so fantastic that I am certain altogether they could make for an album almost as good as "Tales of Terrror". I do not know what might have been the reason they were omitted. I suspect their contract with Gama did not allow them to record anythning else (before they veered off into more commercial sound), cause I hardly believe they find them too bad to be released.
So do you know other examples of criminally ignored tracks that should have been released on wax but have never been (unless only as bonus live songs)?
Priamos

Re: Awesome songs that survived only as live recordings

Post by Priamos »

Cool thread!
I thought I could come with plenty, but right now this one comes to my mind instantly:
Heavy Load-Joe Stiletto

PS. I'll return with some more later.
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Plenty of great tracks on the Child Saint live in L.A. album, definitely superior to the 12".

There's also a killer Steel Assassin track called "The gunfighter", which I think was never officially recorded.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

ION BRITTON wrote:
There's also a killer Steel Assassin track called "The gunfighter", which I think was never officially recorded.
Where can we listen this John??? Is there already a tube or a chance of uploading? :mrgreen:

On topic:
[youtube]VuHSTHnHyjI[/youtube]

I don't know if this counts, as it's included in an official album, however a studio version doesn't exist.
[youtube]uLNDTzricqU[/youtube]
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Here it is:

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/xcx4yiyYba/0 ... ghter.html

That show has some other unreleased SA material as well, titles such "Madame de Fage", "In The Name Of Metal" etc. "The Gunfighter" is my absolute favorite though. I'll try to upload the whole thing soon. Original rip of Sonicbludgeon.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Exceptional stuff! Thanx!
DMR

Post by DMR »

All the bonus tracks from the Salem's Law reissue.

Pettypew - "The Night" and "Vampire".

Slayer - "Ice Titan" and other early live songs.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DMR wrote:All the bonus tracks from the Salem's Law reissue.
...with a different vocalist then? :)
HamburgerBoy

Post by HamburgerBoy »

Whatever Slauter Xstroyes song this is at 8:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJyd22rJCg

Jon was apparently even more unhinged live in those days than on the albums. The main riff is really good too, a bit simple by their standards (it was 1983 apparently) but it's really trudges like I've never heard them do before, the kind of riff I'm surprised Savatage didn't write around the same time.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DESOLATION ANGELS - Running For Your Life.The riffing is killer, the way the song starts is so in-your-face and the middle guitar part is just sublime - my favorite DA tune by far.

Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Blacksmith from Michigan ...
On that now defunct website with plenty of Detroit Rock bands there was a live recording that really kicked ass. Outstanding vocalist ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Starting to warm up now...

Although I wouldn't put them on the same level as the 2 demo tracks, the live tracks from SENTINEL (US-TX) are great pieces of 80's burning hot metal.

Probably the whole album for some people, for me just the opening track "Witches Sabbath" from VULCANO's Live!

On a similar note, I would gladly give an arm and a leg to hear the BARON STEELE tracks that were never officially recorded. Songtitles like "March of the mortal lord" and "Battle of Pellanor" suggest only true and honest epic metal of the highest order.

msp

Post by msp »

Hey John... did you know Texas Metal Underground will be releasing BARON STEELE "Minotaur Blood" 7" PLUS additional CD with rehearsal recordings? This may be relevant to you interests

Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

FUCK ME BACKWARDS!!! Unbelievable. Haven't checked the TMU site for a while, I just saw that they are preparing such thing. Never thought I would manage to hear anything beyond the two demo tracks in this lifetime... Gonna order multiple copies just for the hell of it :)

Keir

Post by Keir »

Prowler wrote:On that now defunct website with plenty of Detroit Rock bands there was a live recording that really kicked ass.
I really miss that site.

Lizzy Borden - "Dark Shadows": Performed live in the early 1990s but never officially released. Not their best work by a long shot, just a cool piece from a rather quiet time in the band's history.