Illinois metal brutality

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Illinois metal brutality

Post by ION BRITTON »

The state that unleashed some of the most brutal metal ever. Here's a list with some of my personal favorites, feel free to add anything else of the same wavelength that's worth mentioning, that means stuff you really like and not bands you simply find listed in M-A.

MASTER - Unreleased album 1985. No comments.

DEATH STRIKE - Fuckin' Death Demo 1985. Fuckin' deadly.

DEVASTATION - Everything. Legendary band. Whoever heard them and refused to sign them back then should have been stoned to death.

FUNERAL BITCH - Both demos. Furious stuff with HC influences.

TERMINAL DEATH - Faces of Death Demo 1985. 13 minutes of sheer brutality. Early death metal was the best.

SINDROME - Into the Halls of Extermination Demo 1987. Classic and known to most people here, I guess.

NOT US - Think What You Want LP + early Demos. "Whore" and "Set Us Free" could have been written by early MASTER, they are THAT good.

BURNT OFFERING - S/T LP + Death Decay Demo 1987. Killer thrash/death album, prefer the demo even more as it features only short 2 minute nuclear grenades.

FUNERAL NATION - After The Battle LP 1991. Amazing evil thrash metal a la early SLAYER/POSSESSED. A monster of an album.

NUM SKULL - Ritually Abused LP + Future - Our Terror unreleased album. Debut features that classic Illinois thrash/death riffing, however the revelation was '91 unreleased album that was even more brutal and deathmetallic.

AFTERMATH - Killing The Future Demo 1987. A Top-15 Demo. Insanely good. They became intellectuals after that and lost their edge.

DECREPIT ŪTH - Action Speaks Demo 1988 + Square One Demo 1990. Terrific lethal thrash metal that went unnoticed by the masses.

METAL ONSLAUGHT - Cease To Exist LP. Short and sweet thrash metal.

CIANIDE - A Descent Into Hell LP. Crushing Death/Doom, well known to most old school death metal aficionados.

Could never get into MACABRE and ABOMINATION. IMPETIGO I find them only OK.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Astra Wally

Re: Illinois metal brutality

Post by Astra Wally »

Yep, lot of great bands.

I would add ENFORCER - Demo 84

Put the Swedish sissies to shame everyday. Simply one of the best demo ever.
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Oh, and WAR CRY of course !!
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Iron Cross - Church and state
One of my alltime faves ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
LaGouille

Post by LaGouille »

You must have missed the word "brutality" Prowler :lol:
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

War Cry is more brutal than Iron Cross then? :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

not much to add, I'm afreud. or perhaps, if Broken Hope and Oppressor would count? and whole host of other brutal death metal bands ...
Last edited by Noisenik on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Noisenik wrote:f Broken Hope and Oppressor would count?
I guess not.

There seems to be an ANNIHILATION from Chicago area that recorded one demo in '85. It looks quite interesting. Anyone heard them?

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Add DEMENTED TED All Demos to this list. Very quality Death/Thrash.
Last edited by lunaboy on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E5150

Post by E5150 »

ION BRITTON wrote:
I guess not.

There seems to be an ANNIHILATION from Chicago area that recorded one demo in '85. It looks quite interesting. Anyone heard them?
Prowler recommended and shared two songs from that band with me some time ago. They can be found on the band's myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/annihilation1986

It's a interesting Death/Thrash band.

Another band not mentioned in the list and that I quite like is Tempter from Aurora. Their two demos are very good for me!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

lunaboy wrote:Add DEMENTED TED All Demos to this list. Very quality Death/Thrash.
Couldn't find the 1st demo, the other two were pretty good, especially the '92 demo. Sounds like a less complex Hellwitch with Mike Browning on vocals.

Checked out the two Annihilation tracks, I liked the vocals, musically just OK.

Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

ION BRITTON wrote:
I guess not.
Technically and theoretically they could, at least as much as CIANIDE - BH had first demo same year, OPPRESSOR year later. In same way there should be MAIMED, DOGOD, SARCOPHAGUS (early), and let's not forget THE DEAD YOUTH, which are even older band. Of course, practically they do not fit, as they belong to a slightly different milieux, but below line, they confirm Illinois as a trully brutal region. Oh, and I like MACABRE, at least "Sinister Slaughter" and "Beyond the Wall of Sleep", and yeah, we have listened to IMPETIGO a lot, 22 yrs ago. 'Mortado' lived to teeeeeeeeeeeeeell!
Last edited by Noisenik on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Noisenik wrote:MAIMED
Yeah! Forgot they were an Illinois band.

[youtube]bK-J60s_ZWk[/youtube]
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Incredible scene for sure. I myself worship Impetigo; it oozes rottenness like nothing else
Long Live The Loud !!!
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, considering both Macabre and Impetigo are two of my favorite bands, and love most of what Ion Britton posted it's not hard to see it's one of my favorite scenes. I was just talking about it the other day with a friend.

Still, I see a few bands named that I had never listened to so thanks for that big list Ion.