Illinois metal brutality

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Re: Illinois metal brutality

Post by ION BRITTON »

Noisenik wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:
Noisenik wrote:f Broken Hope and Oppressor would count?
I guess not.
Technically and theoretically they could, at least as much as CIANIDE - BH had first demo same year, OPPRESSOR year later. In same way there should be MAIMED, DOGOD, SARCOPHAGUS (early), and let's not forget THE DEAD YOUTH, which are even older band. Of course, practically they do not fit, as they belong to a slightly different milieux, but below line, they confirm Illinois as a trully brutal region. Oh, and I like MACABRE, at least "Sinister Slaughter" and "Beyond the Wall of Sleep", and yeah, we have listened to IMPETIGO a lot, 22 yrs ago. 'Mortado' lived to teeeeeeeeeeeeeell!
I always thought BROKEN HOPE were a mid-90s band, so you're right in that aspect. A couple of things I heard from them in the past were incredibly average, never bothered to check out anything else.

About OPPRESSOR, now what can I say... This jazz/prog hybrid of death metal is simply not my thing. IMO the bands 10 years before were far more brutal and heavier than them.

MAIMED, on the other hand, is a good addition.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Noisenik wrote:
Technically and theoretically they could, at least as much as CIANIDE - BH had first demo same year, OPPRESSOR year later. In same way there should be MAIMED, DOGOD, SARCOPHAGUS (early), and let's not forget THE DEAD YOUTH, which are even older band. Of course, practically they do not fit, as they belong to a slightly different milieux, but below line, they confirm Illinois as a trully brutal region. Oh, and I like MACABRE, at least "Sinister Slaughter" and "Beyond the Wall of Sleep", and yeah, we have listened to IMPETIGO a lot, 22 yrs ago. 'Mortado' lived to teeeeeeeeeeeeeell!
I always thought BROKEN HOPE were a mid-90s band, so you're right in that aspect. A couple of things I heard from them in the past were incredibly average, never bothered to check out anything else.

About OPPRESSOR, now what can I say... This jazz/prog hybrid of death metal is simply not my thing. IMO the bands 10 years before were far more brutal and heavier than them.

MAIMED, on the other hand, is a good addition.
Trouble with BH, and partially with OPPRESSOR, too, is that CANNIBAL CORPSE blew their minds away. Said straight, BH were CC clones. I had OPPRESSOR's "As Blood Flows" demo (idiot as I am, I sold it for peanuts, ages ago, grrrr) and it was pure CC worship, that is as technical as CC at the time.
I am ... the One you warned me of
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

E5150 wrote:Another band not mentioned in the list and that I quite like is Tempter from Aurora. Their two demos are very good for me!
The circulating rip of the 1st demo is not that good, so I can't judge it properly. However the 2nd one sounds much better and it is indeed awesome. No death metal elements here, pure straightforward thrash delivered the american way.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Regarding Impetigo, I think the All We Need Is Cheez live demo is my favourite of them and one of my favourite demo / live recordings in general. Not quite because of the music (isn't there yet at all, almost like old Blood (Ger)), but it's just so insanely entertaining...it's as if Ren & Stimpy would play some crazy Noisecore. Seeing them live must have been a blast...
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

A friend reported me - decades ago - that one of the fellow Slovenian MHs was in IMPETIGO fanclub back then. Once he ordered a longsleeve directly from fc. When package arrived and he opened it, it turned out that Stevo puked onto it, packed everything and sent it. This guy kept it as he received it. A relic indeed. :lol:

wonder how much it would gain on e-bay and what would be necessary to prove authenticity. Stevo's DNA? :P
I am ... the One you warned me of
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Noisenik wrote:A friend reported me - decades ago - that one of the fellow Slovenian MHs was in IMPETIGO fanclub back then. Once he ordered a longsleeve directly from fc. When package arrived and he opened it, it turned out that Stevo puked onto it, packed everything and sent it. This guy kept it as he received it. A relic indeed. :lol:

wonder how much it would gain on e-bay and what would be necessary to prove authenticity. Stevo's DNA? :P
Gross :lol:
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

How about fuckin' POISON -pre DEMENTED TED, GENOCIDE, ORSIS, SOLEMN, MUTILATION?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

GENOCIDE is killer, however there's only one track, "Imminent Impact", that could fit in this thread. The rest is power metal, great but not brutal.

POISON: There are two circulating demos, the sound quality is not very good. Nevertheless, I do hear some intensity in the songwriting, but as far as brutality goes... I am not so sure about that.

I've only heard of the other three through some old 'zines. Are there any good or they're just from Illinois and they play metal?