The most obscure German, Swiss and Austrian thrash metal bands

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

The most obscure German, Swiss and Austrian thrash metal bands

Post by Noisenik »

In accordance with our unknown-bands-chasing-frenzy, I wonder which are (in your opinion) the least known thrash bands from these countries you have come across, possibly in original form. Thrash/crossover would also count. Era: 1984-1996.

I personally have descended down the abyss to reach, say, bands like Criminal Justice or Typhoon or Deadlock, whose demo has kindly provided me Prowler. I also wonder what could be obtained down there, except the unknown band some of us have become crazed with.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Prowler

Re: The most obscure German, Swiss and Austrian thrash metal bands

Post by Prowler »

Can you spezify the "most obscure" a bit ... do you mean that concearning the release or totally unknown in sense of just a handful of people have/know the material. There are tons of "obscure" german Thrash demos but most have been uploaded to the www so they aren't that obscure anymore.
The most obscure locally limited demos I found in the past surely have been the Cyborg and Hiob's Message demos. But both aren't musically outstanding. Basement Thrash ... and Cyborg was already ripped and uploaded to the www. If Ze still has my rip of Hiob's Message he might upload it or a song to hear. I haven't kept it and am too lazy to rip it again.
Good ones are the 2 tapes of Inzest from Wolfsburg!
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I had in mind demo only bands or bands that released an album or two in great pains. For example, Bloodfeast A.D. (I think I saw it on one pic recently), Meyhem, Vebrifuge, etc.. ;-)

Btw., what meyhem means?
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Meyhem surely means Mayhem. It's just a different writing. It hasn't any german meaning.
Bloodfeast A.D. was also featured on Teutonic Invasion 2. It's Crossover, half Thrash half Hardcore. The vocalists kills this LP.
The sleeve is unique, huge fold out sleeve with great underground artwork. The LP can be found easily around 20-30 E at internet shops or ebay. But yes, it's quite obsure and unkown vinyl. I accidently came across a copy when I was searching for Bloodfeast ... haha. I think the Lp is more known in the Punk/HC community.
Voracious Souls LP is another mystery. It's pretty rare but each copy I buy doesn't cost more than 5 E. And it contains quite killer US style Thrash.
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Didnt know BLOODFEAST A.D., I will check them out !

I will skip demos and therefore fail the thread-title as none of the following are the most obscure bands, but the ones below are still interesting, overlooked or rare German Thrash LPs/CDs and maybe some are of interest for you:

Anaconda – The Lattice Window CD 1996 – private Thrash from Bavaria, I haven’t seen this one often. They did some demos before this CD.

Anxiety - Voices Of Pain CD 1994 – good private german Thrash and very rare/unknown. From Wolfsburg

Contradiction – Rules of Peace CD 1993 – this band from Wuppertal released a lot of CDs, this is their privately pressed debut and best one

Deztroyer – Climate Change LP 1991 – only 100 copies on Vinyl, a band-made CDR reissue from 2000 is still easy to get

Hellbreath – Slave of God LP 1988 – this is very rare and became sought after in recent years. Guess mostly for its rarity though

Justice – Name The Never MCD 1993 – cheap and easy to find. Great Melodic Thrash! Their later releases weren’t so good but I have not heard them all. I’m looking for the 1996 CD “Das Weihnachtshörspiel”, said to be a metallic X-Mas story mostly spoken word and some Thrash eruptions. CULT expected! So if someone is selling this, pm pls.

Mighty Decibel – Relieve the Distress CD 1991 – charming private Thrash MCD with 3 tracks, band later changed name to Mighty D. and changed style to Atmospheric Death Metal

Mortal Remains – Next Level LP 2007 – private pressed vinyl LP limited to only 100 copies, nice oldschool Thrash from Wuppertal

Sudden Darkness – Fear of Reality LP 1988 – Testpress only limited to 12 copies, was planned to be released on GAMA but never happened. Now it is available on CD reissue from Stormspell since last year.

Viper – Bringers of Disaster LP 1991 – private brutal Thrash, band from former DDR, another hard to find piece
We praise the blood that metal brings
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I think the Sudden Darkness LP is the most obscure german Thrash vinyl.

The Hellbreath, Viper, Deztroyer vinyls are well known, though rarities without questions.
I have a Contradiction Demo in the archives from around 1990/91. It's sounds quite terrible. Is that CD listenable?
That Viper LP is getting it's re-release soon on CD. :wink:
You should only check out Bloodfeast A.D. if you can stand rough/punky (anti-)vocals. Musicwise listenable, like the Teutonic Invasion track, but nothing outstanding. But the LP was recorded 1 year earlier ...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

cheers Roman, I knew, you have sth in your sleeve.
Prowler wrote:I think the Sudden Darkness LP is the most obscure german Thrash vinyl.

The Hellbreath, Viper, Deztroyer vinyls are well known, though rarities without questions.
I have a Contradiction Demo in the archives from around 1990/91. It's sounds quite terrible. Is that CD listenable?
You should only check out Bloodfeast A.D. if you can stand rough/punky (anti-)vocals. Musicwise listenable, like the Teutonic Invasion track, but nothing outstanding. But the LP was recorded 1 year earlier ...
Now, this is really good news, although I'd love to have on vinyl. Reissue on vinyl possible? How limited was original pressing?
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Noisenik wrote:cheers Roman, I knew, you have sth in your sleeve.
Prowler wrote:I think the Sudden Darkness LP is the most obscure german Thrash vinyl.

Now, this is really good news, although I'd love to have on vinyl. Reissue on vinyl possible? How limited was original pressing?
500 copies, Rainer Krukenberg bought the rest stock in the 2000's ... they still had many copies left back then. Hardly turns up nowadays .
I don't think that label will press vinyls as the CD will for sure have the demos as bonus ... everything professionally re-mastered.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

:?: Which label is it? Stormspell or a german one? Btw. I sent you pm, you may answer me there if it is a secret yet. :wink:
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I'll answer your pm when I'm at home as I don't remember the condition of the record. :(
As for the label, no it's not Stormspell and I can't tell you NOW what label but it's a well known (german) one. :wink:
Just wait, as soon as it's announced I'll tell ya.

In the meanwhile thanx to Ze/Rumblefist here's a track from Hiob's Message Demo "Down of mercy" from around 1990:
http://www.divshare.com/download/26854581-24e
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

OmenOfSteel wrote: Anaconda – The Lattice Window CD 1996 – private Thrash from Bavaria, I haven’t seen this one often. They did some demos before this CD.

Anxiety - Voices Of Pain CD 1994 – good private german Thrash and very rare/unknown. From Wolfsburg

Contradiction – Rules of Peace CD 1993 – this band from Wuppertal released a lot of CDs, this is their privately pressed debut and best one
The quality of those three is inversly proportional to their availability.

Anxiety is the best among those three, very focused and energetic thrash. The title track is a minor classic. Anaconda is decent if a bit sloppy. At least no groove/prog/hc/funk overtones popular at that time. Contradiction is arguably the weakest of the three, not enough energy for my liking, but quite easy to get.

By the way, if someone is interested in buying Anaconda for 30€ I may have a hint (not sold by me).
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Heathen wrote:
OmenOfSteel wrote: Anaconda – The Lattice Window CD 1996 – private Thrash from Bavaria, I haven’t seen this one often. They did some demos before this CD.

The quality of those three is inversly proportional to their availability.

Anxiety is the best among those three, very focused and energetic thrash. The title track is a minor classic. Anaconda is decent if a bit sloppy. At least no groove/prog/hc/funk overtones popular at that time. Contradiction is arguably the weakest of the three, not enough energy for my liking, but quite easy to get.

By the way, if someone is interested in buying Anaconda for 30€ I may have a hint (not sold by me).
I agree ANXIETY is the best one on these and I also agree ANACONDA being sloppy and it has a real horrible production on top of that.

CONTRADICTION on the other hand is a totally solid Thrash album, more inspired by METALLICA than KREATOR/DESTRUCTION and with quite varied songwriting. Everything there from the 15 min. Thrash Epic TRILOGY OF DARKNESS (first part being partly accoustic with nice out-of-tune female voices), the driving KINGDOM OF THE DAMNED or the strange NUCLEAR DISASTER. Nothing that wasnt done before already and also done before better, but still a nice album that even Power Metal Maniacs might enjoy because of the mentioned variety in songwriting and the melodic parts or interludes that ease many of the tracks.
The vocals are average and too "flat" for my taste so that's a minus, the lyrics partially are naive, cover looks good, production is fine, all in all this is an above average CD.
We praise the blood that metal brings
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

I gave Contradiction another listen (this one I don't own) and you are right, it's not bad. Also I was a bit surprised to find out that the CD is now in the 30-40€ bracket. It was much cheaper a year or two ago. But that shouldn't surprise me.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Ah, cool news about Viper reissue on cd. I have their second cd "Cash" (under the band name "Screamz"), it's not at the same level though ...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I have an obscure local compilation LP from 1991 with a Speed Metal band called Lightning featured among Pop, Rock, Electro and Hard Rock bands. It's not Thrash but archtypical german Speed Metal. It fits well to this topic.
Furthermore the Vomitory - Catastrophical expectations 12" fits here too. 500 made and hardly seen ...