"US Metal" - Geography or Genre?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

"US Metal" - Geography or Genre?

Post by Avenger »

Prowler wrote:Dementia (Can)”Reticulation” 7”EP 10 (Demos 87+88)

Does Canada count as US Metal too? The most canadian bands are counted US Metal ...
Says who?

That's like saying that all german bands are counted as russian Metal... Canada is a completely different country. If this list is truely US only than Solar Eagle should also be removed. Otherwise add all the Euopean bands that have already been mentioned too.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Avenger wrote:

Does Canada count as US Metal too? The most canadian bands are counted US Metal ...
Says who?
Everyone into serious record collecting is counting USA and Canada stuff as US Metal as the main term. Even the german Iron Pages Mag that has released a book called "US Metal Vol. 1-3" has included canadian bands.

The band Iron Head was from Canada too so it must be removed otherwise. :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Prowler wrote:
Avenger wrote:

Says who?
Everyone into serious record collecting is counting USA and Canada stuff as US Metal as the main term. Even the german Iron Pages Mag that has released a book called "US Metal Vol. 1-3" has included canadian bands.

Well, these people either have some sort of retardation or failed geography class miserably. It's US Metal not "North American Metal".
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Avenger wrote:
Prowler wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Says who?

Well, these people either have some sort of retardation or failed geography class miserably. It's US Metal not "North American Metal".
A look on the map isn't the main criterium here I think but the similarities in the style. And please don't come with phrases like "But some canadian bands sounded different than other US bands!" Yes they sure did but the majority shared the US style. I also don't like it if certain guys label austrian or swiss bands as German Metal because they do sound so and speaking the same language but I really can't kill all those people. I just cannot ... :D
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Avenger wrote:Well, these people either have some sort of retardation or failed geography class miserably. It's US Metal not "North American Metal".
I'll have to remember that every time I hear someone from North America say they're going to visit Europe or Scandinavia. ;-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Prowler wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Prowler wrote:

A look on the map isn't the main criterium here I think but the similarities in the style. And please don't come with phrases like "But some canadian bands sounded different than other US bands!" Yes they sure did but the majority shared the US style. I also don't like it if certain guys label austrian or swiss bands as German Metal because they do sound so and speaking the same language but I really can't kill all those people. I just cannot ... :D
What the hell are you talking about? "US Metal" is not a sub-genre it's the description of Metal from that specific country. Are you really this ignorant?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Khnud wrote:
Avenger wrote:Well, these people either have some sort of retardation or failed geography class miserably. It's US Metal not "North American Metal".
I'll have to remember that every time I hear someone from North America say they're going to visit Europe or Scandinavia. ;-)
This is a completely different story. I'm not calling all the bands from Norway or Finland "Swedish Metal". There are continents and individual countries within them.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

US Metal does not only define a metal from country but also a certain musical style !
Anyway it makes no sense to dispute about signification of some words or terms. They are not always logical. What is called Power Metal thees days is not logical because it's not powerfull ! And Heavy Metal is not Metal ! It's music !
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Avenger wrote:
Prowler wrote:
Avenger wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? "US Metal" is not a sub-genre it's the description of Metal from that specific country. Are you really this ignorant?
Nö, but I guess you are a bit ignorant now. I wasn't the one who combined USA and Canada Metal as US Metal in the upper term. Please blame the Iron Pages guys for that. Furthermore I explained the reasons why pretty well I think and the guy above explained it well too. What's not to understand?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Prowler wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Prowler wrote:
Nö, but I guess you are a bit ignorant now. I wasn't the one who combined USA and Canada Metal as US Metal in the upper term. Please blame the Iron Pages guys for that. Furthermore I explained the reasons why pretty well I think and the guy above explained it well too. What's not to understand?
You are the one trying to argue that if metal is not from the US that it's still "US Metal". Explain to me how that makes sense? For example, Odyssey from South Africa sound very much like a lot of the late 80's Power/Speed Metal bands from the US but I don't see anyone labelling them as "US Metal". That would be ridiculous.