My records collection is poor

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
lox

Post by lox »

Priamos wrote:I would have reached a dead end
:shock: better buy vinyl, so your quest will never end :lol:

I cut back my small collection from 1000 to 200 and I'm happy with it. Everything went overboard that I wasnt 100% sure about.

One advice a music critic & big collector once gave: you listen to the records standing on your feet, if you cant make it standing for 40 minutes and listening to the shit, then it's probably not worth keeping.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

lox wrote:
Priamos wrote:I would have reached a dead end
:shock: better buy vinyl, so your quest will never end :lol:
It could have been a solution, since the last 10 years i made another ambitious opening to vinyl (until my infant son "decapitated" my expensive, high-end speaker, probably beyond repair :lol: ) but in the end I realised vinyl is not practical enough for me (as I stated in other thread). So...with no more vinyl to buy (at least untill I repair my speaker) and 99,999999% of my desirable CDs already bought, the new releases is my only solution.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I have absolutely no interest in getting rid of records I don't enjoy 100%, nor any reservations about buying things I might only like one track on, I want to have some sort of library of music, where you can spend a lazy day going through the not-so-good sections and revisiting stuff you haven't played in ages, perhaps remembering why you never feel like getting that record out, or discovering a song sounds better than the last time you played it. A perfect record collection would be one with everything in it, not one with just -the best-.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Lox, I have to agree with daniel on this one. Recently, doing song gathering for the metal night, as a side effect I have rediscovered albums I had forgotten about. I loved them then and still like them and going to my own library is better than record hunting this day and age. The money is long spent and I can just enjoy what I have.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

I have a totally different problem.
Through the years i listened to more and more music through internet and found out that there are a lot more music that i have not listened to before and that i liked a lot.

And since i buy both LPs and CDs (i prefer vinyls but all the great '90s releases were in CD format mostly) and since i try to follow the new releases (through an oldfart's bitter point of view, of course :lol: ), my wants list is growing bigger and bigger. It is safe to say that i am looking for wayyyyy more releases than i was looking 10 years ago.
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
lox

Post by lox »

If you still love the records, then it's perfectly fine. If not, why bother. That's all I'm sayin'.

A personal record collection that has everything in it shows a lack of standards, it's cool for music archeologists (I guess someone has to do that too) but not for me.
Last edited by lox on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

doomedplanet wrote: I think Matthias A. in Switzerland and on this forum certainly has a much larger collection than I do.
Now that you have mentioned Switzerland, I remember that Mr. Bieri has quite a respectable collection. Lots of Hard Rock in there, but there were quite a few threads that showcased Corro-respect for Hard Rock as well.

And I remember also that metalfranc cherished Hard Rock/Glam as well.
Last edited by Noisenik on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I have a sizeable collection, but far from containing only metal. It has lots of non-metal records and I still like lots of different genres. There are easily thousands of records still which I would want for my collection, but I don't worry much about it.

I know of a guy who has a collection of nearly every single record ever to enter the Billboard top 100 - now that is some collection. Not very interesting to people here though, I should think.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.