What's your personal fetish?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

private pressed vinyl in all the metal/hardrock styles except poser, black and (most but not all) death metal.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'm a sucker for 80's US Power Metal.

I just can't get enough.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

I just remembered one of my metal fetishes that I forgot to mention here.
I love Heavy Metal with Neo-Classic guitar work. I don't mean no gay ass symphonic power metal bands with ultra-sterile production but the bands like Ebony Eyes, Breeze Least, Helstar and such. Ebony Eyes - Hard Rock Renaissance album is a prime example of this.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Malaysian Heavy-Metal. I paid too much for a mint copy of the BRAINWASH LP, just for the cover because the music isn't that great compared to SOFEA, SEARCH, etc.

And I have a nearly full Legion of Death (the French label) catalogue. I only miss one EP or two.

In non-Metal domain, I'm trying to get a full Sequentia collection, when my Metal addiction allows me to spend some cash on non-Metal records...
Gott ist tot.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Mr Nuke wrote:Malaysian Heavy-Metal. I paid too much for a mint copy of the BRAINWASH LP, just for the cover because the music isn't that great compared to SOFEA, SEARCH, etc.
I'm interested about Malaysian Heavy Metal. So far I've only heard Saxo which was great. Is there any Malaysian Metal gems for example in vein of Judas Priest?

Also recommendions of neo-classical heavy metal are welcome :D
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

To be honest, most of the bands sound more like power HR of soft HM: think or WASP, or SCORPIONS, before else.

Except SAXO, the heaviest bands are JUNCTION (maybe that's the best band to check, really powerful metallic sounding), SOFEA's first album, some BURNMARK's albums, etc. Otherwise, it's not that heavy but it's really "charming" music in some sense. And since you seem to like your Metal darker, check BLACKFIRE since they owe as much to early SODOM than to BLACK SABBATH!

As far as I know, there were no neo-classical stuff in this country, sorry. The bands didn't have the same financial means than in Japan (the affording an orchestra wasn't that possible), and I think that their fans wanted rock'n'roll (and ballads to date girls too? :D ) first.

To make your choice, this blog is a goldmine for beginners:

http://melayurock.blogspot.com/index.html

(but the sound is what it is, streaming, so albums sound far better).
Gott ist tot.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Mr Nuke wrote:To be honest, most of the bands sound more like power HR of soft HM: think or WASP, or SCORPIONS, before else.

Except SAXO, the heaviest bands are JUNCTION (maybe that's the best band to check, really powerful metallic sounding), SOFEA's first album, some BURNMARK's albums, etc. Otherwise, it's not that heavy but it's really "charming" music in some sense. And since you seem to like your Metal darker, check BLACKFIRE since they owe as much to early SODOM than to BLACK SABBATH!

As far as I know, there were no neo-classical stuff in this country, sorry. The bands didn't have the same financial means than in Japan (the affording an orchestra wasn't that possible), and I think that their fans wanted rock'n'roll (and ballads to date girls too? :D ) first.

To make your choice, this blog is a goldmine for beginners:

http://melayurock.blogspot.com/index.html

(but the sound is what it is, streaming, so albums sound far better).
Thanks for the info. I'm not afraid of soft/melodic approach since I find it quite charming when used right. I will check out these bands when possible. Oh and by neo-classical I mean more like yngwie malmsteen-like guitar work than bands playing with full orchestra.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Mr Nuke wrote:To be honest, most of the bands sound more like power HR of soft HM: think or WASP, or SCORPIONS, before else.
W.A.S.P. and early Scorpions soft? Soft?

Are you crazy?
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

Well, WASP isn't that soft, but well, it's far softer than, let's say, JUDAS PRIEST, or OMEN.

BTW, I have nothing against "soft" HR/HM! :wink:
Gott ist tot.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Mr Nuke wrote:Well, WASP isn't that soft, but well, it's far softer than, let's say, JUDAS PRIEST, or OMEN.

BTW, I have nothing against "soft" HR/HM! :wink:
I don't think that Judas Priest did anything as "soft" as Chainsaw Charlie in their entire career :D :wink:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
sixsexsix

Post by sixsexsix »

fine wine, tits & ass.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

V E N O M !!!! :shock: Still a long way to go.......
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

The debut album for any band that kicks off a new label.

Any cat# with the number 1

Anything layout with a black and red color scheme, on CD. My favorite record label in high school, was Megaforce Records, and used that scheme for most of there cassettes. I think this is the best way to present a heavy metal production.

Any logos with blood dripping from them.

Any logos or artwork with a Pentegram.

Any logo or artwork with a heavy metal guitar.

Any release that has a the word metal in a song title, album title or band name. Or label name.
Anything release with a different artwork.

Since I hate the CD age, because CD's started to have songs more than 10 songs, on them. I look for albums with 6, 7, and 8 songs only on CD. I like albums between the 30 minute to 45 minute mark, ala Slayer "Reign in Blood".

Any album that has politcally incorrect, with socialy irresopnsiable lyrics...fuck yeah, no redeeming socical value... Songs where you think, man this band is going to get sued for that. Life imitating the art.
lions roar

Post by lions roar »

i always look for barbarians/epic looking covers in hopes i'll find a new manowar/manilla :D . also bands that starts with m often makes me wonder :oops:
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

USA , NWOBHM 45s (Unknown/Obscure/Private Press bands).Records with Black/White sleeve covers.MLPs .