opinions about the old French metal scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
anthares

Post by anthares »

OXENKILLER!! MONSTER OF STEEL! LITERALLY!!
Anyone has their demos?
Khnud wrote:Nice to see a "new" release such as the PERMAFROST 7'' mentioned here. The b-side is absolutely awesome, and you need it!

I can upload it in the appropriate Poisonoise thread as soon as that damn stylus arrives. Anyone interested?
Of course!!
malegys

Post by malegys »

Two of my fave French releases are the Anyway 12" from 1987 & the Synthese LP from 1985.Talk about underrated records!!!!!
"Do you like Wenom?"
Holy Mighty Stormwitch

Post by Holy Mighty Stormwitch »

In general I listen to many metal bands with non-English vocals because I´m interested in languages of different origins. Talking about France, my faves are Blaspheme, Killers, ADX, H-Bomb etc. but my no. 1 will always be Sortilège, that´s for sure!

Unfortunately there aren´t so many interesting new bands from France. I love Malédiction´s debut "Condamnés" so much, but their second album is just o.k., nothing special. What a shame the guys gave up so fast. Lonewolf is another really great band, but all of their lyrics are in English.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

malegys wrote:Two of my fave French releases are the Anyway 12" from 1987
Fantastic EP, indeed. In the same vein as SORTILEGE.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

The more i learn about those old French bands, the more i enjoy them. TITAN, BLASPHEME, ADX, ATTENTAT ROCK, VULCAIN, great all the way.

Best English speaking French bands that i know are LUST, STEEL ANGEL, SHELDER (a bit weird, but quite fancy) and VIXEN.

Definitely a scene worth digging into!
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
daniel

Post by daniel »

The best English speaking French metal band is AXTON PRYTE ;)

I would think all Devil's Records releases had inserts, but I'll have to check for ADX when I get home tomorrow...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
daniel

Post by daniel »

As for the DRAKKARD LP, yeah it's more AOR with really weird drums, but the title track RULES, and the solo always always sends shivers up my spine.
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

HIGH POWER !!!

I think only one of you mentioned them, what do you all think of this one?

they're my favourite, they conjugate the power and the finesse! I found their s/t LP in the flymarket of Saint Ouen near Paris for a couple of euros.

I think the vocalist is incredible, the best track on this album is Casse Toi! and I love watching the logo "Devil's record" spinning as the vinyl runs its course!

I think Warning can be very strong, some songs are steel incarnated but they also have some terrible songs (like a reggae one on the first album)

Demon Eyes are unique in the way they blend evil atmospheres and straight heavy metal sung in French, I wonder if they're going to release a new album soon with the old line-up ...

ADX and H-Bomb have great power and Sortilege great melodies.

What I've heard from Der Kaiser and Lust didn't impress me at all, Lust vocals I found particularly irritating.

Extreme metal-wise, Massacra and Mutilated are crushing dinosaurs and I realy love Antaeus' first album (I assume you probably all hate it here)
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Nightmare and Fisc sound good to me in English
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Devilment wrote:HIGH POWER !!!

I think only one of you mentioned them, what do you all think of this one?

they're my favourite, they conjugate the power and the finesse! I found their s/t LP in the flymarket of Saint Ouen near Paris for a couple of euros.

I think the vocalist is incredible, the best track on this album is Casse Toi! and I love watching the logo "Devil's record" spinning as the vinyl runs its course!
Funny, i always thought the vocalist was their weakest point. I find him quite annoying when he tries to sing high. Nice guitar work tho'.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
zeuhl

Post by zeuhl »

Devilment wrote:HIGH POWER !!!

I think the vocalist is incredible, the best track on this album is Casse Toi!
That's one of my absolute favorite French metal anthems, a damn good song! The rest of the album sadly is not on par with that track, though. The cover art with the angry half-lynx-half-man is great, too, heh..
daniel

Post by daniel »

My copy of the first ADX LP does not have an insert...

The first HIGH POWER is great, though the song structures are so very repetitive. The 2nd LP though much rarer isn't near as good, maybe two good tracks, the title track is great though - if the whole album followed suite, more 'progressive', it would be interesting.

DEMON EYES were only good in the demo stage to me...

The H-BOMB EP is great, not so much the LP. ALL SORTILÈGE records rule. Then DER KAISER, both albums wonderful but especially the first is like magic to me! First NIGHTMARE, yep, FISC too. The divine first SATAN JOKERS. OCÉAN, MARÈCAGE, BLASPHEME, H AND H, LUST, WARNING, VOODOO CHILD, AXTON PRYTE, DAMOCLES, KILLERS, LEGEND, ANGEL CRASH, ANTHRACITE, etc., I can't remember all the bands rigt now, but I guess you could say I love French metal.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

i think overlooking the seveninches is a terrible oversight-to me the french sevens are better than the nwobhm 7inch scene-simply cos what they have is 'post nwobhm french metal' (83-86 mostly)whereas nwobhm is 80% late 70s rawk
stuff like astaroth,wade shoken,desdemona,h and h,nightreaper,tokyo,blaa bla blaaa theres a ton of em
lps:lust is my absolute fave,manowar worship-i love the vocals-and they have a shitload of demo tracks as well,all great as far as im concerned
the first track of the venin ep is a killer,haurdes savages by auroch is great,all sortilege rules,first titan rules,killers-fils rules
excess-the second album is an overlooked masterpiece
and i ve downloaded endless french demos from blogs,most of them ranging from good to great,extremely obscure stuff.i think ,if one excludes italy and holland,france had the best european scene in the 80s.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

SHELDER will always be my guilty pleasure.

1st side of MARIENTHAL's 7" is G-O-D-L-Y.

However, my absolute favourite french metal release is NIGHTMARE's '83 Demo, every single second of it sends shivers up and down my spine.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

MassOfKthulu wrote:iif one excludes italy and holland,france had the best european scene in the 80s.
Hell no.

Germany, hands down.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."