ANNATHEMA - S/T

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

ANNATHEMA - S/T

Post by ION BRITTON »

Actually, i'm listening to this album right now and i must say that i'm not very impressed at all. It's an uneven LP with some cool-and-above-average tracks like let's say the opening 'To hell and back', but also with lots of tracks that don't mean shit to me. I can't say that the vocalist is a bad one, he sounds quite 'nerveless' and 'hypnotized' though. Heavy Metal needs more passion and anger dude so wake up. Maybe things got better on their second LP. In any case a 6 1/2 out of 10 is enough for this record i think.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I can't agree at all with you.To me ANNATHEMA is the Yugoslavia's answer to the Teutonic HM like TYRANT,WALLOP,VAMPYR with perfect production,awesome groovy riffs,all styles combined in the album Power/Heavy/Speed/Thrash.Surely the best Yugo band together with EVIL BLOOD.So i am not surprised,everyone that does'nt likes the above mentioned bands would find them average.Only negative thing is maybe the solos(reminding me of Slayer's ones).Surely one of the best bands i have discovered from the Corroseum.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think it is a very good album. perhaps not the very best, even not a classic, but very strong in my opinion. Other hrashing bands from Eastern Europa are very good, but these yugoslavinas had something very attractive for me
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I don't think it should be considered as thrash metal. It's true that the guitar had a thrashy edge, but as a whole it's heavy metal imo.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

In old Yuga - our quarters they were considered speed metal band (around 1989), but that was due to lack of knowledge and information. I remember that they played Novi Rock in Ljubljana back then and speed was all around their name. Annathema - speed, Heller - thrash, Epidemic Zone - thrash. There were one more - my damn memory. Destruction headlined. Novi Rock could be considered the first Metal fest on Slovenian ground. That year it was divided into hard core evening and Metal evening. It was kinda fucked up in the Balkan sort of way. Back to Annathema: how about we say they were thrashed heavy metal? :)
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

It's a good, even Euro-Speed Metal album, no more - no less. Have anyone heard the 2nd LP? It was rereleased on CD a while back. I think it's supposed to be more US-Thrash sounding, which would be a letdown to these ears...
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

yes it is waay thrashier than first one ,
I like it a lot... here is one .rm sample, hope it works...

http://www.geocities.com/robart_gpz/annathema.rm

if you want I'll upload album...
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I think the first Annathema is good, but nothing more...

I think the 2nd one is inferior to the first one. Has a little modern sound imo...This is one of the rarest LPs from Yugoslavia. The guy who sold it to me said it was pressed in a quantity of 150 LPs only...

Their 3rd album is pure crap though...
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

The second ANNATHEMA albums isn't very good IMO. Simply Bay Area Thrash-Metal or so. not the worst of the genre, but a very common album. I prefer their first album, especially the vocals.
Gott ist tot.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I heard "Empire of noise" the other day, it's indeed a very average thrash metal album, d-grade Bay-area stuff, but not as bad as the other ''similar'' item, RAPID FORCE's "Apotheosis of war", which is an atrocity. I think those two should be avoided, at least the original LP'$...

mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

If you like S.D.I. kind of speedy Thrash/Heavy Metal, you will not disappointed with Annathema s/t album. Their follow-up releases do not really appeal to me.
ironchains

Post by ironchains »

mega_lodon wrote:If you like S.D.I. kind of speedy Thrash/Heavy Metal, you will not disappointed with Annathema s/t album. Their follow-up releases do not really appeal to me.
probably music is similar with SDI, i would say less melodic riffing and vocals too
pzman

Post by pzman »

I think Annathema is a great record - /trad/power/speed metal with bits of thrash, you can't go wrong with that, great review DaN. Vocals are good too something that cant be said about many bands whose first language isnt english.
From some of the posts above shame that the band became more thrash as i really would've liked them to have heard a power/speed followup.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

I like the third Annathema. Stupid & cliche laden Hard/Heavy with an Alternative touch
ffff

Post by ffff »

listened to it now and dont think its more than average... saw 3 cds for sale from one records but i think its a bit expensive for what they ask for it