Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Post#16 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Further discoveries follow!
I took a look at the compilation '' Let's die'' by Mystic Records because I heard it was a collection of early Deathrock, Punk and even some MetalImage (the cover is pretty Metal right?) Most of the cuts on it are pure Deathrock/Punk but there is some metal on here! First of White Pigs the speed/crossover band are featured here but there is of course nothing goth about them in the slightest. There is also a pure Metal song on here called ''Day of the Jackal'' by 'the Stain', which sounds a bit like a NWOBHM song.
As for metal/goth fusions? well first of we have the doomy A.W.O.L with Hellhouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7hDRdhq4-w
And also Burning Image. This is another song by them, check out the totally metal cover art: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCAZMMx7VcY
Other than that there is the pretty heavy Slaughterhouse 5 though they don't really play Metal but the mood they set remind me a bit of Sarcofagus or Icecross. And Silver Chalice that play 70's inspired glam punk/rock.

I also got wind of Creaming Jesus who I saw mentioned as a thrash/goth hybrid. But their first LP is basically Hardcore without that much thrash or goth influences. Their followup fares a bit better with some Thrash riffs and a more dark atmosphere and gothic vocals. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeBm2DnWvE

There's also even more quasi-metal from Eva O (Super Heroines, Christian Death) and Rozz Williams ( Christian Death) under the name 'Shadow Project' Here is a sample of their first album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tokUmuWRU4
And from their second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9o81b3UtdM the cover art here really makes me think 90's Katatonia/ My Dying Bride

User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 956

Post#17 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Since 1986 that these guys are doing this :

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/San ... onio/31265

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Post#18 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:58 pm

rumblefist wrote:Since 1986 that these guys are doing this :

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/San ... onio/31265
Have you heard them? Are they any good?

User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 956

Post#19 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Never listened the old demos - which might be interesting if it has enough Metal moments.

The new stuff is ordinary in my opinion. Common vampyr stuff as usual. But in Europe everyone knows how big the german and italian gothic scenes are... wouldn't be surprised if most of european bands of this type of sound come from these 2 countries... - at least the "best" (???) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTQ-tfNHwc

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Post#20 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:36 pm

rumblefist wrote:Never listened the old demos - which might be interesting if it has enough Metal moments.

The new stuff is ordinary in my opinion. Common vampyr stuff as usual. But in Europe everyone knows how big the german and italian gothic scenes are... wouldn't be surprised if most of european bands of this type of sound come from these 2 countries... - at least the "best" (???) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTQ-tfNHwc
Yeah I found that one song too, it would indeed be interesting to hear early demos instead!

User avatar
Ra Pariah
Posts: 73

Post#21 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 pm

What a great topic! I dig all the suggestions I didn't know and listened to. This genre is underrated, yet it has some powerful compositions to show, for sure. I think the following track by Agony Column bears the gothic aura of Fields of the Nephilim, hence it's definitely Gothic Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22BtCKNT1U

Saviour Machine have already been mentioned, but just let me remind the existence of a superb demo of theirs, back in 1990. Eternal gem of this sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_52lQxnP0Y
All through the night steel by your side

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Post#22 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:22 pm

Ra Pariah wrote:What a great topic! I dig all the suggestions I didn't know and listened to. This genre is underrated, yet it has some powerful compositions to show, for sure. I think the following track by Agony Column bears the gothic aura of Fields of the Nephilim, hence it's definitely Gothic Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22BtCKNT1U

Saviour Machine have already been mentioned, but just let me remind the existence of a superb demo of theirs, back in 1990. Eternal gem of this sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_52lQxnP0Y
Thanks a lot for your contributions and interest in the topic Ra! :D
Agony Column I've never encountered before, maybe people just write them off as heavy Souhtern Rock? But I do indeed hear a Gothic influence akin to Sisters of Mercy in them! I found this Interview with them http://sendbackmystamps.org/2012/01/18/ ... -column-1/ that paints it clear that they did in fact start out as a Death Rock band! Great catch, thanks! And Saviour Machine were indeed incredible! I haven't spent as much time with their demo, will do now! There is an interesting later link between Eric Clayton and Eva O also, after they both found each other through Christ.

Lemme share some of my newer discoveries!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg175LtBgco Fallout- This was the original band of Peter Steele, before Type O and Carnivore, I expect many know them already. Not really ''gothic'' but a fun sort of new wave influence, and It's interesting to see where the man came from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP5RptPNV-I Now this is an album that needs to be heard to be believed. This is a German band called Warning that released this eponymous platter in 1982!!! Let that sink in, this is well over a decade before anything like Rammstein, hell it predates Swans even. I found it on RYM, tagged as '' Electric, Doom Metal'' or something like that. Incredible strange, essentially German! The first song on here was later covered by Pungent Stench. Also those masks to me at least appear to be same as on 'Never Say Die'? Perhaps a hint that Sabbath was an influence.

Finally let's venture even further into the industrial realm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXJdF2cL3E Recognize this Thrash Metal sample from anywhere? hah this guessing game should suit this forum!
...It's Voivod- Technocratic Manipulators

I've started writing on the blog I'm dedicating to this project, but it's still very much a WIP. If there are more bands out there throw them at me! I would also be very interested in some interviews/general information for many of these bands! Hit me up!

lions roar
Posts: 54

Post#23 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:12 am

cant call them metal in general , but this song is quite heavy for the death rock scene
and remind me of mid 90's paradise lost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RwKxAcJses

User avatar
rumblefist
Posts: 956

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#24 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Dunwich (Italy,once again)...
Knowledge Is Power

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#25 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:31 pm

What an excellent suggestion Rumblefist! their 1988 demo fits perfectly into the project! And I have never come across them before, thank you!

User avatar
Heabymetawhunta
Posts: 81

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#26 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:04 pm

I saw someone already mentioned Morticia, but on the link they included, this song was missing from the discography for some reason, which is their best track imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNWx8PGcUdU

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#27 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:37 am

If anybody's got any copies of the first few releases of Expiatoria from Italy I would love to hear them.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Exp ... iscography

Still working on the project but slowly these days,

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#28 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:59 am

Pretty loose criteria if what classifies a band as "gothic" is lyrical content.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

User avatar
MechaBarbarian
Posts: 68

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#29 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Avenger wrote:Pretty loose criteria if what classifies a band as "gothic" is lyrical content.
??
What are you referring to? I've stated before in this thread that I'm not looking for bands with gothic horror lyrics, but rather early bands influenced by Gothic Rock and Post-punk.

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Re: Early mixes of Heavy Metal and Gothic Rock

Post#30 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 pm

MechaBarbarian wrote:
Avenger wrote:Pretty loose criteria if what classifies a band as "gothic" is lyrical content.
??
What are you referring to? I've stated before in this thread that I'm not looking for bands with gothic horror lyrics, but rather early bands influenced by Gothic Rock and Post-punk.
Anacrusis?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests