Clones we've learned to love...

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Clones we've learned to love...

Post by DaN »

What are your favourite 'clone'-bands / albums? I'm talking about that act that should have written the latest IRON MAIDEN-album, those obscure thrash demos that were right up there with the finest SLAYER-moments, that long-forgotten album who sounded more MOTÖRHEAD than the 'Heads themselves etc...

I proclaim: INFERNÄL MÄJESTY's "None Shall Defy" album beats all and any SLAYER release to date. Yeah, they were pretty much a copy-cat act, but they were better than the original, at least on this album.

Listening to Italians BERSERKS' only LP from '82, I notice how many of the tracks could match at least the weaker songs of early Maiden, maybe even fit on an imaginary album somewhere between "Iron Maiden" and "Killers".
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

there would be many but I couldnt call them clones, since after some time they were able of creating thier own personality

For example, early Death SS sounds much like Black Sabbath, the same goes foe Witchfynde, Witchfinder General, Pagam ALtar and all those bands which I love to death. or Running Wild, a band which have many Judas Priest momenst (the name for example :D )
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I say that Violent Force is a succesful clone to Sodom's Persecution Mania
Lonewolf is a succesful (relatively) new band clone to Running Wild's Death Or Glory And Gravestone on Accept's Restless And Wild,Cloven Hoof On Seventh Son Iron Maiden's And Unicorn's The Legend Returns To Helloween's Keeper I.
Ernstv

Post by Ernstv »

Sacrifice - Forward to termination is the long lost Slayer classic.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Exumer - Possessed by Fire is the masterpiece Exodus never did.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Tyran Pace is one of the best Judas Priest clone. "Long Live the Metal" is, to my point of view, their best release.

Vulcain was the french response to Motörhead.

Bulldozer's "Day of Wrath" is quite similar to Venom's "Welcome to Hell"

Demiricious released this year the best Slayer album since "Seasons of the Abyss". ("One")

Old Morgoth ("Resurrection Absurd") was heavily inspired by Death.
Junkyard Barbarian

Post by Junkyard Barbarian »

Expulser - The Unholy One is nearly the same album as Sexual Carnage, or the second part of it
Keir

Post by Keir »

I always thought Hammer’s Contract with Hell was the album Magnum would have released if they had gone in a more metal direction after The Eleventh Hour instead of becoming more commercial (though I still love Storyteller’s Night).
Azaras

Re: Clones we've learned to love...

Post by Azaras »

DaN wrote:I proclaim: INFERNÄL MÄJESTY's "None Shall Defy" album beats all and any SLAYER release to date. Yeah, they were pretty much a copy-cat act, but they were better than the original, at least on this album.
They were also glam-metal posers who jumped into evil metal for the money (no joking). The old Ontario thrashers never accepted them, though, knowing their true mascara'd-up-faces. Explains why Canadians might be shocked at learning how INFERNAL MAJESTY is viewed in Europe. Personally I'm more shocked that lack of conviction could write such a great album.
Ernstv

Post by Ernstv »

Haha, that's so true about Infernal Majesty. Their debut made their name legendary in Europe- to this very day. Few people know about their poser-past indeed.

There is one Canadian act though that I think should be named in this thread: Razor. I thought they were originally highly inspired by Slayer, yet I think Razor is the better of the two. Their songs are quite simple, but those lyrics kick HUGE ass! The highest amount of 'fuck you!-mentality' in a band ever!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

It's true than Infernal Majesty is not perceived like that here in Europe, they're a cult-band for lots of thrashers overhere. I saw the band live back in 1997 with Malevolent Creation, Angel Corpse ... on their European tour, though they were not headliners, the crowd's response was amazing. I had a talk with their singer, he seemed to be a cool guy and he truly impressed but the crowd's response.

If they jumped into Thrash just for the money, they didn't succeed !!
They're not the richest band in the world !! :)

I totally agree with Razor. Great Band, great riffs, very fast & aggressive thrash !!! My two faves albums are "Evil Invaders" and " Open Hostility".
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

Ernstv wrote:There is one Canadian act though that I think should be named in this thread: Razor. I thought they were originally highly inspired by Slayer, yet I think Razor is the better of the two. Their songs are quite simple, but those lyrics kick HUGE ass! The highest amount of 'fuck you!-mentality' in a band ever!
RAZOR are GODS!

They are one of the best of the old EVIL Canadian thrash scene!

There was a rather large evil thrash scene along with AGGRESSION, TREBLINKA (yes, a Canadian one), SACRIFICE, DAMNATION, YOG SOTHOTS, SOOTHSAYER (demotape only is good - this time it's true, too!), DISCIPLES OF POWER, and on to more obscure stuff... out of all of these I think RAZOR were the best, not only for their catchiness but their great (and straightforward) playing.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

About the Canadian Thrash Scene, I've heard that there was a great fest in late 2005 in Quebec with bands such as Razor, Pile Driver, Anvil, Exciter, DBC (tremendous first album), Aggression and some more ...

Did you attended to that fest ? Great Bill !!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I've heard the rumours about INFERNÄL MÄJESTY's meagre beginnings (didn't one of the guys start out in christian HR band RAPID TEARS?), but I never realized they were so scorned by their countrymen at the time. I still hold "None Shall Defy" as the 2nd best Thrash album EVER. Perhaps it was the fact that they started out 'carte blanche' in the Thrash biz that made them come up with such incredible riffing and rhythms? While I enjoy other classic Canuck Thrash like RAZOR, SACRIFICE, AGGRESSION etc I don't think they ever did anything even close to the excellence of NSD.

...On the other hand, if I.M. had released as many records as RAZOR it's doubtful they would have kept the same overall standard. That 90's CD didn't impress me much. The "Creation Of Chaos" demo cuts were great, but the rest felt like filler material.

And I don't think RAZOR is that extremely similar to SLAYER. At least not compared to SACRIFICE.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

I agree about RAZOR - they were not a SLAYER copy. I like SACRIFICE and INFERNAL MAJESTY more than SLAYER, too. Sorry to say it..."Show No Mercy" at least is solid JUDAS PRIEST worship for me.
omen of hate wrote:About the Canadian Thrash Scene, I've heard that there was a great fest in late 2005 in Quebec with bands such as Razor, Pile Driver, Anvil, Exciter, DBC (tremendous first album), Aggression and some more ...

Did you attended to that fest ? Great Bill !!
Unfortunately I could not. I attended SABBAT (Japan) & GOAT HORN (great band, alas they are gone now...) in 2005, and I may attend SACRIFICE's reunion in September. I will also go to CELTIC FROST in September! :D