SORTILEGE

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

What's your favourite record?

Sortilège EP
32%
Métamorphose LP
45%
L'Armes de Héros
23%

Total votes: 31

Heavy

Post by Heavy »

SOOOOH--TIIIIIIIII--LEEEEZZZZZZZZHHHHHHHH :D

Easily my fav french band! EP is a classic, as everyone here already mentioned, but I voted for my fave - Métamorphose and I love both versions. As an interesting fact - english lyrics were translated by guitarist's then girlfriend and it's word for word translation mostly, so some parts are a bit strange sounding on the english version... and I think I've read somewhere that (don't actually quite know if I'm right - could have it mixed up with Phil from ADX) Zouille doesn't know any english other than the words he sang on the songs.

As far as their second full length goes, I prefer the english version a bit more, but that's probably because I heard it (and loved it) way before the french one.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

i think any english version of Sortilege songs takes out a great amount of charm out of the band...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

It's "Hero's Tears" for me. The vocals on the EP at times are borderline annoying if you aren't in the mood for it and the English version of the album doesn't sound as forced and slightly awkward like "Metamorphosis" does at times. I find the songs are better written and flow better for this style. Don't get me wrong, all of the albums have great moments but this is a band that I would put at the top of the second tier of French bands. I’m not the biggest French Metal connoisseur but from what I have heard this is my opinion.

I'm also a sucker for the underdog so maybe that had a bit to do with my choice.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I like all 3 albums but the third takes the cake, especially songs like "Le Dernier des Travaux d'Hercules ". The end of that song is everything I seek in metal.

Personally, I think the vocals on the first EP dominate too much and the last 3 tracks on the second album are very average. The third album doesn't have a weak spot imo.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Necrosathanas

Post by Necrosathanas »

Had a hard time choosing, their all material is simply brilliant. Went with Métamorphose though, it's the most solid one as a whole album. Only negative side is that the english version doesn't do any justice to the french one, unlike L'armes which has really great compositions on the english ones.
avigrus

Post by avigrus »

Métamorphose :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

avigrus wrote:Métamorphose :D
Why?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Métamorphose easily... Best French band & best album along with Steel Angel's debut.