Millennium - Traditional metal from India

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
jnfernal

Millennium - Traditional metal from India

Post by jnfernal »

Hello, I am searching information about Millennium, the first heavy metal band from India to put out a record.

I can't find any information at all about their first single "Born to reign"...not a tracklist nor even the exact release date. Some sources say 1989, many others say 1992. I even doubt it's a real 7"...I guess it's a single song aired for radios....

And I am searching also informations about their first album, S/T released in 1994...no cover or other infos on MA...

I checked a lot of indian shops in London and I couldn't get anything...only some compilation mp3 album or cheap cdr with later songs...but I couldn't find their early stuff

Do you have more information about their early releases and do you know if they're available somewhere ?
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I think this can be the facebook profile of the current lead singer (Seems to be few people in India with that name): http://www.facebook.com/vehrnon

Maybe that can help you.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Is it possible that you are refering to the Thrash Metal band Millennium from India? They indeed released a demo or something in 1994 or so while 2 trax of it are used on the bootleg Split 7" with THE CRISIS from Nepal in 1999. It's Bay Area Thrash that they play, pretty good. But the problem is that the bootlegger(s) didn't have more material or info about this band. As far as I know one of them (a canadian guy) got these songs at a travel thru India or something.
One funny thing to add, some clown in Brazil has bootlegged (12") the THE CRISIS songs (horrible!) once again in the 2000's, so he bootlegged a bootleg - clever! :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

:D

yeah I know that bootleg...

the only information I have is that they released a debut single in an unknown year...1989 or 1992 (tracklist totally unknown), plus a self titles album in 1994 (originally released on tape but also available on cd...easily available on mp3) and another cd in 1997 (also available on mp3)

I don't know the tracks off the single with Crisis where come from, quite sure they're lifted from the 1994 tape lp.

Because I am making a pre-research of early rock albums from India and I found some interesting titles:

13 AD: Ground zero Tape 1988 (only available on tape...I have in mp3 with cover...boring glam/hard rock/aor stuff)

13 AD: Tough on the streets Tape 1992 (even worse than the previous album!)

AGNI: Wind dance with fire Tape 1993 (I got in mp3...maybe there's also a CD edition. Interesting Heavy metal with some fusion/traditional influences. They use tro call their style "vedic metal")

AGNI: Mrithyunjaya Tape 1996. Their 2nd and last album.

EEZY MEAT/EZEE MEAT: an unknown Ep recorded in early 90's...unavailable elsewhere, it seems another Metallica/Testament/Megadeth oriented stuff.
They have 1 song on "The Great Indian Rock Vol. II" Compilation Tape 1998.
It seems they are still active and had a great success in the country.

EXODUS THE BAND: formed in 1990....despite they're still active it seems they released no album, or at least it seems not important to mention them. Similar to AGNI in the 2-3 songs I heard of them.

MILLENNIUM: Born to reign Ep 1989 or 1992 (no infos at all...not even the exact release date)

MILLENNIUM: S/T Tape 1994 (also available on an unknown CD edition)

ROCK MACHINE: Rock'n'roll renegade Tape 1988 (released with the Tape 1990 on CD...out of print...quite good street/hard rock)

ROCK MACHINE: The second coming Tape 1990 (re-released on CD with the 1st album...out of print). After this album they changed name into "Indus Creed"

SABRE TOOTH: another early 90's band. No infos available

SHIVA: A late 80's band....no infos available

V.A.: The Great Indian Rock (Vol. 1/5)...the first compilation made in India. Vol. 1 was released in 1997 and there are a lot of interesting bands.

The bad thing is that there are absolutely NO ONLINE SHOPS in India and it seems nobody cares if they are available on CD/Tape/Vinyl , prefering to share shitty low rated mp3....it seems market for CD and/or vinyl is totally uninteresting or unknown in India and the few collectors I contacted just told me that "there are some mp3 available online" but I'm not interested in mp3. Similar to Bangladesh it seems collectors just share mp3 and are not interested at all in searching original tapes or CD...quite sad.

Well...maybe if I go to India I will try to find them....
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

If you do, try to bring back an extra copy of the Rock Machine CD if you can find it. I'd like to have that.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

I was in touch with an indian Metalhead in the early 2000's but the only stuff he could organize was some Death Metal bands. No Millennium ... that was my first want ...
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

well, i am planning to go to India dring my trip, so I will try to find those CD....the problem is that I really don't know any music shop in Delhi or Lucknow or Canpore....we will see....!
bastard priest

Post by bastard priest »

Not sure if this will help you but check here :

http://into-the-void.com/category/india/

and I got those Millenium/Crisis split 7ep but need to check.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Perfect!!! Seems really useful, thank you ! :D
bastard priest

Post by bastard priest »

I am not sure if Annick (Cauchemar) posts here, but she posts on NWN forum. This blog is real pleassure to read. Since my metal travels are only limited to "civilised" Europe :)
Hans

Post by Hans »

nice blog it is.
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

I have an old fanzine from around 2000, which says that Millennium also released a live gig on a Video CD....
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

It may be possible....there is a real lack of information about the band as well as indian/bangla bands in general....

I remember when I was in London I found some Warfaze (the bangla band) CD, DVD, VCD not listed in the MA or in their official facebook, websites, fansites.
Same thing for other metal bands listed on the Metal Archives...I found a lot of releases not listed there. And when I made researches on bangla websites they were not mentioned at all. Before getting them in my hand I couldn't eve understand (after a 2-3 year researches) if such bands were released on CD or not....it seems these details (CD edition, album title, what is available on CD or vynil...) are the last important thing among metalhead in India/Bangladesh....

Maybe sometimes such releases are not official, maybe because most of them are just released by small and mysterious labels....but in general it seems that in India and Bangladesh there's no attention at all on releases...most of times I read "the band released an album in the year XXXX" without even saying which format, which year, album title....it's crazy but it seems indian bands prefer to share some scattered mp3 lifted from this or that release instead of promoting "phisical" releases.
The difficult aspect is that when you try to make the point on some local scenes it becomes almost impossible even to fix discographies of bands: no reference to album titles, no image covers, no info at all about an eventual CD release or tape release....nothing at all in most cases...no shops where to buy them, no links where to get the phisical release....
quite weird
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

jnfernal wrote:It may be possible....there is a real lack of information about the band as well as indian/bangla bands in general....

I remember when I was in London I found some Warfaze (the bangla band) CD, DVD, VCD not listed in the MA or in their official facebook, websites, fansites.
Same thing for other metal bands listed on the Metal Archives...I found a lot of releases not listed there. And when I made researches on bangla websites they were not mentioned at all. Before getting them in my hand I couldn't eve understand (after a 2-3 year researches) if such bands were released on CD or not....it seems these details (CD edition, album title, what is available on CD or vynil...) are the last important thing among metalhead in India/Bangladesh....

Maybe sometimes such releases are not official, maybe because most of them are just released by small and mysterious labels....but in general it seems that in India and Bangladesh there's no attention at all on releases...most of times I read "the band released an album in the year XXXX" without even saying which format, which year, album title....it's crazy but it seems indian bands prefer to share some scattered mp3 lifted from this or that release instead of promoting "phisical" releases.
The difficult aspect is that when you try to make the point on some local scenes it becomes almost impossible even to fix discographies of bands: no reference to album titles, no image covers, no info at all about an eventual CD release or tape release....nothing at all in most cases...no shops where to buy them, no links where to get the phisical release....
quite weird
This is well possible....I know a lot of releases of new bands from Eastern Europe, whose releases are mentioned in the Metal Archives as albums or demos, that actually do exist only for download...But since back in the early/ mid 90s hardly anybody in India or Bangladesh had internet access, one might guess that most of the releases you found out should have been released at least as a tape...It may also be just a recorded song(s), which was sent to radio stations as a normal tape, and now they talk about it as a real release...that I have also found for some Eastern European bands...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

you're right

to make an example, the first Millennium single...well, there are no infos at all.

First of all we don't even know if it's a demo or a single ep or a tape or a cd....tracklist is unknown as well as number of tracks, title tracks and so on

Also the year of release is totally unknown...even the official website says first 1989 and then later on they say 1992....in any case it's unavailable anywhere (indian collectors are searching for it desperately). In any case there aren't any info on the official band website too....

Also the first album, self titled, released in 1994....I haven't seen it on sale anywhere and nowhere it appears the label name nor the format of release. There's an original tape release for sure as it can be easily downloaded on some blogs. In one forum I saw there's a collector saying he has the "CD" but I haven't seen proof of a physical existence of such CD anywhere....it may exist, it may be a cd-r, it may be a home made cd...in any case no official sources lists the existence of a CD release....or, at least, I never found such info around except for that collector who claims to have it.

from one point of view it may be exciting to search for these unknown releases in some indian music shops....the problem is that it's also very hard to find addresses of music shops. I know only one who's a musical instrument shops and carries a very small catalogue of cd....but it's quite strange that a country (almost a "continent") like India has no - or very, very few - specialized music stores....

we'll see....the only thing is to go to India or check some bangla/indian music stores in London, for example....like the one that I found last year in London where I found a lot of exciting bangla CD....it's a pity I didn't check also for indian cd's....maybe they had some gems/rarities that may be totally unavailable in India too....I remember the "In Dhaka" CD and the first Rockstrata CD (both from Bangladesh) were easy to find in London but it seems they're almost impossible to find in Bangladesh itself....when I found the compilation CD "Hooray Vol. 1" (the first hard/hevy metal compilation made in Bangladesh in 1991), all the metal fans in Bangladesh were so surprised...they didn't even know about a CD release of it, they were totally unaware, though the label was based in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh.... :D

Also, to make another example...when I was in Nepal I couldn't find any Rai Ko Ris release (they're the most famous punk band from the country, very successful, with a lot of releases and concerts abroad)....shop owners said that they've never seen any cd or cdr around and they sweared they never recorded any..."but we can provide mp3 if you need"....

when I came back to Italy I could easily find CD's and Ep's surfing the web....

so...well....we'll see....I guess the beginning and the early history of indian heavy is yet to be written....