ODYSSEY (S. Africa)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Nah, disregard my latest post, I'm looking to verify the info I remember I had, till then, let's stick to the 500 you said you were told. I just remember I was told something else...
Never trust the Goblin King....
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

Trigger wrote:Nah, disregard my latest post, I'm looking to verify the info I remember I had, till then, let's stick to the 500 you said you were told. I just remember I was told something else...
maybe you are right.... I was talking to that guy some 8 years ago and probably I have mixed up some information :wink:
Ryür

Post by Ryür »

Trigger wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
BornToRock wrote:Very rare and expensive
http://www.popsike.com/ODYSSEY-South-Af ... 45190.html
afaik only 500 copies were made of these....
This is not true.

Exactly, it is not true, if each copy would certainly not go down from 800 €
daniel

Post by daniel »

There's no direct correlation between quantity and price in that fashion, I've bought records there are 300 copies of or less and never paid 800...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

I'm pretty sure Odyssey was a big hit in SA as they were one of the very few bands with a professional release, and probably the only one with a vinyl release. I guess they sold much more tapes than LPs though....But the main problem should be that people over there simply do not know about vinyl collectors, so hardly anybody is selling it....I remember reading that the Karthago Records guy once said, that it was one of the most hard to find records for him....
Anyway, a real quality release in both music and packaging....
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Nightcrawler wrote:I'm pretty sure Odyssey was a big hit in SA as they were one of the very few bands with a professional release, and probably the only one with a vinyl release.
There was also Black Rose - Live by it vinyl LP, which was the very first "professional" South African vinyl release and one of the very first metal bands there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ac_wnO5LKM
Nightcrawler wrote:I guess they sold much more tapes than LPs though....But the main problem should be that people over there simply do not know about vinyl collectors, so hardly anybody is selling it....I remember reading that the Karthago Records guy once said, that it was one of the most hard to find records for him....
That's truth, i was looking for the Odyssey LP since 1996, contacting South African record stores and sellers about it. It took me 15 years to find it but i was lucky to buy it for a great price:

http://www.popsike.com/OdysseySouth-Afr ... 02967.html
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

chatzial wrote: That's truth, i was looking for the Odyssey LP since 1996, contacting South African record stores and sellers about it. It took me 15 years to find it but i was lucky to buy it for a great price:

congrats on that one! How could that happen on Ebay? :shock: Wrong section? No paypal? Or probably, this was the only Metal record that the seller sold and people did not notice it? Still unbelievable....
Yes, I was searching it for something like 10 years and at last I found one for 50€. But I was twice very close getting it for peanuts (5€), but they never replied. Seems like they are not that much interested in cooperating with oversea. Guess they do not have paypal....
chatzial wrote: There was also Black Rose - Live by it vinyl LP, which was the very first "professional" South African vinyl release and one of the very first metal bands there.
oh yes, forgot about that Black Rose. Also there is a single from The Blast...
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Nightcrawler wrote:
chatzial wrote:
That's truth, i was looking for the Odyssey LP since 1996, contacting South African record stores and sellers about it. It took me 15 years to find it but i was lucky to buy it for a great price:

congrats on that one! How could that happen on Ebay? :shock: Wrong section? No paypal? Or probably, this was the only Metal record that the seller sold? Still unbelievable....
What was unbelievable is that it was listed at metal vinyls!!!!
And he did accept PayPal!!! And had great feedback!!!
I was extremely lucky, i guess :wink:
When i saw that there was also another bidder, i was certain that i would not win it. But fortunatelly his bid was only $50!!!!
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

chatzial wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
chatzial wrote:

congrats on that one! How could that happen on Ebay? :shock: Wrong section? No paypal? Or probably, this was the only Metal record that the seller sold? Still unbelievable....
When i saw that there was also another bidder, i was certain that i would not win it. But fortunatelly his bid was only $50!!!!
To make you even more lucky, I'm pretty sure that it was your copy that the guy was selling for 2€ some 3 years ago, and I contacted him, but he was one of those 2 sellers, that did not reply...I'm pretty sure, because I think to remember the yellow price sticker on the right corner. Was he from Johannesburg? My misfortune seemed to be your luck :)
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

Nightcrawler wrote:
chatzial wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:

To make you even more lucky, I'm pretty sure that it was your copy that the guy was selling for 2€ some 3 years ago, and I contacted him, but he was one of those 2 sellers, that did not reply...I'm pretty sure, because I think to remember the yellow price sticker on the right corner. Was he from Johannesburg? My missfortune seemed to be your luck :wink:
I think he was from Johannesburg. I am sorry my friend for your bad luck. But in the end we both got it for a great price :D
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Nightcrawler

Post by Nightcrawler »

chatzial wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:
chatzial wrote:

To make you even more lucky, I'm pretty sure that it was your copy that the guy was selling for 2€ some 3 years ago, and I contacted him, but he was one of those 2 sellers, that did not reply...I'm pretty sure, because I think to remember the yellow price sticker on the right corner. Was he from Johannesburg? My missfortune seemed to be your luck :wink:
I think he was from Johannesburg. I am sorry my friend for your bad luck. But in the end we both got it for a great price :D
definitely :wink:
Ryür

Post by Ryür »

chatzial wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:I'm pretty sure Odyssey was a big hit in SA as they were one of the very few bands with a professional release, and probably the only one with a vinyl release.
There was also Black Rose - Live by it vinyl LP, which was the very first "professional" South African vinyl release and one of the very first metal bands there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ac_wnO5LKM
Nightcrawler wrote:I guess they sold much more tapes than LPs though....But the main problem should be that people over there simply do not know about vinyl collectors, so hardly anybody is selling it....I remember reading that the Karthago Records guy once said, that it was one of the most hard to find records for him....

50???? is a gift!!!
mordred

Post by mordred »

I saw this record at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't familiar with it and didn't pay any attention to it not knowing it was rare but I guess with this particular friend I should have expected nothing less. I listened to a couple of tracks on Youtube now and it sounds great. Another record I definitely want but will probably never get. Then again, several records I thought I'd never get somehow found their way to my collection anyway, so you never know.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Lucky break for you Chatzial. I was watching that and would have bid quite a bit for it, but had some private matters which made me forget all about it for a few days. I couldn't believe the price when I saw it the next week. I think it's a really good album FWIW.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
CloudsOfMetal

Post by CloudsOfMetal »

I saw this Odyssey album once in a record fair in Helsinki and the price tag had 350€ written on it. $50 for it must be a bargain.
only the heaviest weather available