Southern Hard Rock-Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Astra Wally

Re: Southern Hard Rock-Metal

Post by Astra Wally »

Khnud wrote:I highly recommend this:

https://www.discogs.com/Troupe-Play-The ... se/8401273
Not a bad one. Reminds me a bit of that Bounty Hunter 7":

[youtube]KJaUjL4X7k8[/youtube]

Here is another killer one that recently step out of obscurity:

[youtube]fB2smVfBaPg[/youtube]
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Astra Wally wrote:
Khnud wrote:I highly recommend this:

https://www.discogs.com/Troupe-Play-The ... se/8401273
Not a bad one. Reminds me a bit of that Bounty Hunter 7":

[youtube]KJaUjL4X7k8[/youtube]
I'm not familiar with the Troupe 45, anywhere i can hear it online?
When it comes to bands called Bounty Hunter, i would love to hear this one in better quality. Total Molly Hatchet worship.

[youtube]oVcfWjHzg84[/youtube]
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote:I'm not familiar with the Troupe 45, anywhere i can hear it online?
I don't think so, but here's a clip from my copy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vko3u8mttazy1 ... e.mp3?dl=0
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:I'm not familiar with the Troupe 45, anywhere i can hear it online?

Many thanks for the chance to hear it Khnud, sounds pretty good to me. A bit of a pity that the rhythm guitar part didn't have a bit more heft & crunch in the mix and the singer's Danny Joe Brown channeling needed a bit more oomph too, but overall it's not bad at all. Strange it isn't better known.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote:
Khnud wrote:

Many thanks for the chance to hear it Khnud, sounds pretty good to me. A bit of a pity that the rhythm guitar part didn't have a bit more heft & crunch in the mix and the singer's Danny Joe Brown channeling needed a bit more oomph too, but overall it's not bad at all. Strange it isn't better known.
Don't expect a stellar production on a privately funded, insanely obscure single, released in most likely 500 copies by a band based in rural Louisiana. :-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

You world weary fellas are most likely familiar with this one, but for those not completely immersed in the more obscure bands in that grey area where Southern Rock & Hard Rock collide, you should get to know the sole album by Garland, Texas band Wits End, 1979's 'Rock & By God Roll'.

[youtube]X22QOikKn6w[/youtube]

A remarkably consistent & well recorded album considering it's scarcity, this one's chock full of great songwriting & some particularly fine geetar pickin'. I hold it in very high regard.
I was in contact about a decade ago with the band's guitarist Michael McSpadden, who seemed amazed that anyone was interested in the band, and i tried to encourage him to re-release the album on CD. To that end i tried to interest Rich Patz at ShroomAngel Records in the idea & put the two in touch, but for whatever reason nothing ever came of it.
Check out the record's closing track 'See It Through', which starts at 26:12, it's got absolutely everything that typified the best in gritty ass-kicking Southern Rock of that era.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:Many thanks for the chance to hear it Khnud, sounds pretty good to me. A bit of a pity that the rhythm guitar part didn't have a bit more heft & crunch in the mix and the singer's Danny Joe Brown channeling needed a bit more oomph too, but overall it's not bad at all. Strange it isn't better known.
Don't expect a stellar production on a privately funded, insanely obscure single, released in most likely 500 copies by a band based in rural Louisiana. :-)
I know, I know, and compared to a lot of private presses it's not badly done at all, it's just a shame that they didn't have the time/budget/facilities to do a better mix, particularly as the drums are so well recorded. If they'd spent a little less time on the drums the finished overall recording would likely have been better for it.
Wonder if the drummer was paying for the recording?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

This is always the first crap that comes to mind when I hear the term "southern" applied to Hard Rock.

[youtube]A52p9jc-gOo[/youtube]

Yeah, it's bad.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

bigfootkit wrote:You world weary fellas are most likely familiar with this one, but for those not completely immersed in the more obscure bands in that grey area where Southern Rock & Hard Rock collide, you should get to know the sole album by Garland, Texas band Wits End, 1979's 'Rock & By God Roll'.

[youtube]X22QOikKn6w[/youtube]

A remarkably consistent & well recorded album considering it's scarcity, this one's chock full of great songwriting & some particularly fine geetar pickin'. I hold it in very high regard.
I was in contact about a decade ago with the band's guitarist Michael McSpadden, who seemed amazed that anyone was interested in the band, and i tried to encourage him to re-release the album on CD. To that end i tried to interest Rich Patz at ShroomAngel Records in the idea & put the two in touch, but for whatever reason nothing ever came of it.
Check out the record's closing track 'See It Through', which starts at 26:12, it's got absolutely everything that typified the best in gritty ass-kicking Southern Rock of that era.
Nice one, thanks for the discovery Kit!

What about TRAVIS MOON and the KUDZU band?

KUDZU escpecially has a nice "crunchy" heavy sound à la early ZZ TOP:

[youtube]N90sHLAVLq4[/youtube]
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Yeah, I like both of those albums too, particularly the Travis Moon LP.
Had no idea it came with a merchandise sheet, wonder if there's still a box of unsold vintage shirts sitting in a garage somewhere in Florida?
Kudzu Band's good too, but if they'd had a stronger or more distinctive singer i'd probably enjoy it more.
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Recent southern rock acquisition:

Both SOUTH PAW and DAVE CHASTAIN BAND are recommended to the most curious and open minded metal freaks around here. Killer southern rock with a hard rocking edge and superb guitar work.

DAVE CHASTAIN BAND - Fool For Lovin' You
https://www.reverbnation.com/thedavechastainband