The song that changed your life?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Dead link.
Last edited by Avenger on Mon May 02, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
GJ

Post by GJ »

Lots of songs involved probably. My brother coming home with copied tapes with songs by Ted Nugent (especially remember "I got the feelin"), Ramones AC/DC and Kiss in the late seventies. Then shifting up with Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, Sabbath, Tank, The Rods and Motörhead in the early eighties.

But my first true Heavy Metal :? revelation probably was the first time I heard The Zoo by Scorpions on the radio (I managed to record the song incompletely without knowing who the artist was). Guess this must have been in 1981 or 82.
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

Outcast wrote:I don't think that any song changed my life, but I first discovered heavy metal via this record:
I was like 5 years old and really liked the cover and music.
yeah right, for us kids here Motori were first and basic heavy thing...
Nasty Uwe wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:The oldest one I remember shitting my pants upon the first listen was GUNS 'N' ROSES' Civil War. I think it was half a year after the album was released (so probably somewhere in early '92), I still have the original tape my father had bought me, completely worn out now.
Kool, you lost your "Metal virginity" to GNR and so did I. :lol:
Must have been "November rain" in 1998 (on TV).
...so did i...i was sucker for GNR in '88 and they were reason why i started to
search for hard 'n heavy bands back than... so than on one mixed HR/HM tape was one song which was totaly different from others and it blew me away - Master of Puppets - it changed my life and now constantly with big minus on my account because of that song and that thrash that song led me to... :D

...plus one day in '90, one tape had Clerical conspiracy by Sabbat on it
and that was best song i ever heard and best band i ever heard and now for 21 years still is!
faster

Post by faster »

11 years old I bought my first LP and this song was the "ear opener"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWKgPgSYHBc
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

Difficult to mention only one,my father(RIP)was a fan of rock and hard/blues and since i was a child i heard so much music at home,i remember one of his favourite records,E Pluribus Funk (by Grand Funk Railroad)and the song Loneliness,still one of my favourites since then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuRd9F1tXaM
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

sagrotan wrote:Chris de Burgh:
I have only heard 3-4 of his albums, however track 'High on emotion' is one of the most uplifting songs I've heard in my life. Goosebumps all over, pure magic. Hard to put into words how music sometimes works within you. Not quite the track that fits for me in this thread, but surely one of my all-time favorites!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

ION BRITTON wrote:
I have only heard 3-4 of his albums, however track 'High on emotion' is one of the most uplifting songs I've heard in my life. Goosebumps all over, pure magic. Hard to put into words how music sometimes works within you. Not quite the track that fits for me in this thread, but surely one of my all-time favorites!
not that somebody got me wrong by that quote, he was my hero with 10 and the first artist I've ever seen live that age and that was before the distorted guitars came with Deep Purple and the means :wink:

cool memories you have there anyway! I still can appreciate some of his stuff sometimes, the whole Crusader album is awesome despite the cheesy lyrics..

btw the thread title is maybe a bit misleading since not so many of us seem to nail down one song that "changed" our lifes and you can't say you changed your life with 10 or 11 years old with a SONG since anyone changes around that age, accompanied by music or not.. but as most understood it the songs that started it all are yet interesting.
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
DeathStrike Kömmander

Post by DeathStrike Kömmander »

Hard to choose only one, but I remember listening in a walkman a copied tape of my father with songs from Judas Priest-Painkiller and Triumph-Just a Game, approximately in 1996.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Great rock artist, indeed! C.D.Burgh is also responsible for the following anthems:
Spanish Train
Crusader
Don't pay the ferryman
The Revolution/Light a Fire
Borderline

I think every metalhead should listen-at least- to the songs above.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

Beethoven, symphony in E-flat

Iron Maiden, The ides of March. I can still taste the soup I was eating when I heard this song first 25 or so years ago
msp

Post by msp »

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills & Van Halen - Ain't Talking bout Love
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
daniel

Post by daniel »

There is no such song. The first things that clicked with me were The Beatles, some 50's rock... I used to love a lot of random music from films and old computer games, then Black Sabbath was a huge thing, also lots of stuff I no longer care for. There was a lot of music around our house, but I grew up with my parents arguing daily, sitting listening to records when I was very young wasn't something I did.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Lama

Post by Lama »

NIRVANA - "Smells Like Teen Spirit" :lol:

I was into The Doors, Europe and Bon Jovi as a kid (still into the first two), and really liked the GN'R "Paradise City"-videoclip I stumbled upon when I was changing TV-channels somewhere in 1988, but "Smells..." was for me the song that kickstarted my undying passion for 'heavier' music. I still remember the moment when I first heard it. In combination with the insane videoclip it shook my world. It was like a bomb exploding in my face!

Grunge did not kill metal in my neighbourhood. A lot of my friends got into metal because of Nirvana and the grunge-hype that was happening in those days.
Kampel Destruction
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Not really a song but the whole A-side of JUDAS PRIEST "British Steel" !! Before that I was into hard rock stuff like TRUST, ACDC, KISS, but the first time I heard it, it blew my mind !! I was able to listen to it all day long and it was my firs steps into heavy metal.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Ozzy Osbourne-Shot In The Dark

That song was the one that would mark me even before i was born. My brother was in middle shool back in the late 80s (when i was just about to be born) when he got into those Xmas school activities where you got to exchange presents,well he got a compilation (dont know if it was already in cd?) the whole comp was crap except for the last song,Shot in the Dark,from there i was already listening to that from year 1, it was not until i turned 12 that i really delivered myself to the music thing and i bought Ozzy´s Ozzman Cometh on tape,from there the rest is history...